Count: Health Care Bill Vote Tally?

The year-long debate over health care reform could enter its final stages Sunday as the House prepares to vote on the reform legislation passed by the Senate in December, coupled with a reconciliation bill to add key amendments.

Ahead of this weekend's vote on health care reform, Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives have been engaged in fierce behind-the-scenes lobbying of undecided lawmakers whose support will be crucial to final passage of the bill.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer hinted that Democrats may use a controversial parliamentary procedure to pass the health care bill. The controversial procedure would allow House members to vote on health care changes without ever voting directly on the Senate bill. This scares me.

What is the current Health Care bill vote count? What's the tally?

asked by Lighten in Politics | 3011 views | 03-21-2010 at 04:58 AM

The vote on the health care reform bill is set fo Sunday and President Obama is still struggling to get the votes he needs. The magic number for passage is 216. Estimates range as to how many votes Democrats currently have but everyone agrees it will be very close.

According to the vote count being kept by the New York Times, Democrats now have 206 declared or strongly expected 'yes' votes for health care reform, leaving them in need of just 10 additional votes to ensure the bill's passage.

Democrats expressed optimism Saturday that they will have the 216 votes needed to pass the legislation, despite wariness exhibited by a number of those within the party and virtually no Republican backing.

The nifty health care bill won't cover Obama and his family; government folks are exempt from the legislation that they've decided is just right for the rest of us.

Congress will never "get it right" -- and if this vote doesn't happen or if the measure fails, these lawmakers will never regain the considerable courage needed to take it on again. The problems caused by our current health-care system will continue to grow.

The Democrats are looking like they're going to win this one clean. And when I say clean, I don't just mean they seem to have the votes. I mean they seem to have the votes without going the deem and pass route.

Video of Obama where he says he is confident the health care bill will be a success.

answered by Don | 03-21-2010 at 05:03 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.