Winter Solstice 2010 Date & Time?

I know we're approaching the December Winter Solstice 2010. I'm confused about the actual date and time since it's always on different dates every year. Will the 2010 Winter Solstice be after Christmas or before it?

I've been explained many times why the winter solstice happens but I always forget about it, I just know it is related to the Earth's tilt. This year there is a full moon.

What is the exact date and time? How long is the day during a winter solstice?

asked by Whitney in Astronomy & Space | 3676 views | 12-18-2010 at 11:02 PM

The December solstice will occur at 23:38 (or 11.38pm) Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) on December 21, 2010. It is also known as the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere and the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere due to the seasonal differences.

The date of the solstice also depends on which time zone you are in because of the International Dateline.

As far as how long the day will be, that all depends on that latitude you are at. For example, when the winter equinox happens, everything north of the arctic circle is in complete darkness and has 0 hours of day light.

This year's winter solstice will coincide with a full lunar eclipse for the first time in 456 years.

answered by Bryce | 12-18-2010 at 11:03 PM

I'm excited about the total lunar eclipse. Weather permitting, people in North and Central America and a tiny part of South America will be able to watch it.

answered by Guest | 12-19-2010 at 07:43 PM

Solar eclipses are more exciting than lunar eclipses. But solar eclipses often occur in remote parts of the world and you have to protect your eyes to watch it, while lunar eclipses are usually visible from a huge part of the world and you can just look at it.

answered by Guest | 12-19-2010 at 07:49 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.