Autodidactic Learning?

What is Autodidactic Learning and what are the benefits of applying it?
Can you give me the names of famous people who are - or were - autodidacts ?
There was a talk about Autodidactic Learning at my daughter's school but I missed it so I'm kind of lost here.
Was told Autodidacticism is some sort of self taught method but that's it? You just teach yourself?

asked by Alfred in High school | 4767 views | 12-09-2009 at 04:04 PM

Autodidactic Learning means that you learn stuff on your own. Autodidacticism is self-education or self-directed learning. An autodidact is a mostly self-taught person, as opposed to learning in a school setting or from a full-time tutor or mentor.

Socrates, Benjamin Franklin and many others were autodidacts.

Autodidacts might spend their time reading either in solitude or in public spaces such as at libraries or via educative websites. They may or may not have designed a plan for their course of study. They may or may not engage a network of experts for guidance.

answered by Penny | 12-09-2009 at 04:06 PM

Autodidactic means self-learning or self-education; an autodidact is someone who is self-educated (on a subject or in schooling).
Admittedly, there is something more fun about self-study than learning in a traditional classroom. There are no deadlines and no syllabi to follow, simply its what you want to study and learn and I think it is key in actually developing knowledge in a field.

answered by Seleny | 12-09-2009 at 06:34 PM

tips for getting the most of Autodidactic Learning:

* Keep a running list of all the things you want to learn. Sometimes you want to learn everything which isn’t practical. But keeping a list allows you to see patterns of what you want to study as well as have a reference for when you need some new ideas.
* People can make excellent resources. When learning a language, it can be extremely helpful to have someone who speaks the language you want to learn. For example, I have a friend who speaks Korean. If you don’t have this ability, there are forums and sites where you can gain extra help from natives or people who know the language well. This also works when you want to know more about a subject– a professor, next-door neighbor, or friend may have some ideas or insights about a subject that interests you.
* Use a variety of resources– books, web sites, blogs, CDs, movies, people, recordings, newspapers, etc. If you have interest in learning about a culture, try reading a newspaper in that language or finding an English source.

answered by How | 12-09-2009 at 06:35 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.