Alopecia: Kayla Martell Bald Beauty Queen?

Kayla Martell admits she has been going bald since she was 11 years old. The 21 year old Dellaware beauty queen suffers from Alopecia, an autoimmune disorder that attacks the hair follicles, causing those affected to lose their hair.
Alopecia areata is a condition that sparks hair loss and affects nearly 4.7 million Americans, according to studies conducted by the National Alopecia Areata Foundation.
Most alopecia patients experience patchy round spots of hair loss that may eventually progress into total baldness on the scalp and even body.

I think it's extremely cool that Kayla Martell is broadening the definition of beauty as a bald pageant-winner. Don't you think?

asked by Africa in Diseases & Conditions | 5056 views | 06-30-2010 at 04:30 PM

Kayla Martell, who recently won the title of Miss Delaware 2010, suffers from Alopecia Areata. But in spite of her disease, Martell went on to compete in the Miss Delaware pageant four times before taking the title home in 2010. While she has previously competed both with a wig and without, this year she decided to wear a blond wig.

I think she looks beautiful with or without a wig. I don't care that she is bold, she's just beautiful.

Alopecia Kayla Martell

Martell understands what it's like to lose her hair as a child. Her part widened when she was 10 years old and from that point on people looked at her differently.

Kayla Martell has been battling against Alopecia for ten years now and her source of inspiration to win the Miss Delaware title was none other than Lilliana Hakim. The five year old girl is also a victim of Alopecia. Erica Hill on Monday welcomed both Kayla Martell and Lilliana Hakim in the Monday episode of “The Early Show” where they got candid with their stories.

Kayla Martell recalled how she started losing her glorious tresses when she was just ten. The situation worsened in her adolescence but she bravely handled it and accepted the whole thing without any complain. She also said that she was always confident and positive as she had the company of her wonderful friends and family members. It was her confidence that made it possible for her to move out without wearing the wig.

The pageant queen wants to make it clear that there is nothing 'wrong' with people who have alopecia.
Not surprisingly, Martell's pageant platform involves raising funds and spreading awareness for the National Alopecia Areata Foundation, and we hear the talent she'll be showcasing at the national pageant in Las Vegas in January will involve some pretty smooth dance moves.

answered by Serenity | 06-30-2010 at 04:34 PM

wow I think that's kind of cool she is a beauty queen indeed

answered by fostin | 07-26-2010 at 07:20 AM

My 11 year old daughter has Alopecia. She started loosing her hair when she was 2 years old. She has been completely bald three times now and is still today. this is such an amazing story. i cannot wait to tell her. my daughter is going into middle school this year and is very nervous about the reactions that she will get. i hope that by hearing this story she will have just a little bit more confidence in herself. i wish that there was a way to contact Kayla Martell even just by e-mail or phone or letter. she would be such an inspiration for my sweet Desirae.

answered by Guest | 07-27-2010 at 05:12 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.