Splice Review & Spoilers?

I know it just came out today, but has anyone seen the movie Splice yet? Did you like it?
I watched the trailer and the movie looks a little creepy.
It is about two scientists who create a monster in a laboratory, and then the Splice, which I think it's called that way because it is split in half, starts growing rapidly.

Where can I read reviews and spoilers of the movie? I never go to the movie theater without reading a review first.
My cousin watched it and said Splice is amazing, but we have different taste for movies.

asked by Melany in Movies | 2749 views | 06-04-2010 at 09:10 PM

Review in a Hurry: Two wunderkind geneticists create a new lifeform that's part human, part creepoid. It quickly evolves into something very cool, and so does this creature feature, with a great cast and only a few bumps in the final reel.

Some spoilers:

In the laboratory of a genetic science corporation, we meet Clive and Elsa (Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley), partners at work and in romance, who are trying to create a hybrid animal gene that would, I dunno, maybe provide protein while sidestepping the nuisance of having it be an animal first. Against all odds, their experiment works. They want to push ahead, but the corporation has funded quite enough research for the time being, and can't wait to bring the "product" to market.
Elsa rebels and slips some human DNA into their lab work. What results is a new form of life, part animal, part human.

It's easy enough to stick with "Splice" for about half of the way. It stars Sarah Polley and Adrien Brody as a team of genetic engineers and something in their personal dynamic is arresting. Subtly but unmistakably, she is the stronger partner, the one truly gifted and the one most likely to turn out to be off her rocker.

Splice may look like a monster movie, and certainly it draws much of its inspiration from the Frankenstein myth there's a reason Polley's character is called Elsa. But it's really a parenting drama, expertly tweaking the anxieties of any mother whose child is just that little bit different.

Director Vincenzo Natali (Cube) keeps things moving and never overindulges in gore, but the film does earn its R-rating because of some adult scenes, only some of it human-on-human. (Yes, they went there.)

Though Splice was independently funded (you'd never know it) Joel Silver and Warner Bros. should be applauded for giving it the big screen attention it deserves.

answered by Lance | 06-04-2010 at 09:11 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.