Elderberry Juice Benefits?

I'd like to juice around a couple pounds of elderberries I've found. The most common practice I've read of doing so is boiling the berries removed from the stem with some water for around ten minutes, then straining the juice. I was told Elderberries are perfectly edible, just like blueberries, strawberries or any other, so there is no need to boil them. But I'm doing it either way, what are the benefits of Elderberry Juice, is it good for your health?

asked by Remember in Foods | 4635 views | 10-14-2009 at 09:28 PM

Elderberries have been a folk remedy for centuries in North America, Europe, Western Asia, and North Africa, hence the medicinal benefits of elderberries are being investigated and rediscovered. Elderberry is used for its antioxidant activity, to lower cholesterol, to improve vision, to boost the immune system, to improve heart health and for coughs, colds, flu, bacterial and viral infections and tonsilitis. Bioflavonoids and other proteins in the juice destroy the ability of cold and flu viruses to infect a cell. People with the flu who took elderberry juice reported less severe symptoms and felt better much faster than those who did not.

answered by Natural | 10-14-2009 at 09:30 PM

Elderberries have a long history as a cure for a variety of ailments. Elderberries are obtained from the elder tree, a plant that is known as Sambucus Nigra.

The benefits of elderberry juice come from some of the components present in the berry.

The most discussed benefit of elderberry is its immune-boosting property, which provides relief for conditions such as the flu, nasal congestion, colds and yeast infections.

Elderberries have been a folk remedy for centuries in regions like America, Canada and Europe. This plant has often been referred to as the 'medicine chest' for its health benefits.

Chronic conditions such as asthma are also treated with Elderberry juice. Another important property is its bad cholesterol reduction capability.

It has been proven that the elderberry juice also helps improve the human visual capacity.

answered by Liam | 04-23-2011 at 04:15 AM

comment