For Quote #13, not every teacher gives more and beyond to help students. Most teachers, and I know a lot of them do not really help children individually.

answered by Guest | 11-23-2010 at 10:36 AM

Bad for children
Mathematics is taught in school so frequently because children derive problem solving skills from it. Aside from your basic tables, you are really just taking the class to develop critical thinking skills. This program is essentially a $100 pack of how to do quick shortcuts to impress others and defeats the entire purpose of mathematics in school. Your child will not be any smarter, just better at using quick steps to achieve a numerical answer. Just like a Rubics cube, there is no skill involved, just quick shortcuts you repeat until you finish.

answered by Guest | 11-24-2010 at 10:15 AM

The Future
I have looked into to program and well I think its a great idea we are teaching our children to be more effective and efficient now than back in our days. Our children are not taught how to write cursive or are given calculators in class, come on people. If my children can do what this program claims I'm all for it. I do believe our children will learn the fundamentals in school they just have what ever parent dreamed of a math genius as a child. Well that math genius has figured it all out and is helping our children not only feel good about them selves but it would make me proud. Hell I would try it. I do have to say it has improved my mother in laws memory after being diagnosed with Damensia. It seems to help not only our children but your adults so I'm all in. I cant wait to get mine and get going on it. Just think in order to memorize or clearly concentrate, I finally maybe able to learn 3-4 diff languages. So to that I hope to see me in Paris. WE

answered by Guest | 11-25-2010 at 09:25 AM

scam
I bought it its a scam you can only divide by 91 and multiply by 5 its a scam and he should be put in jail. 20/20 did not do there home work on this one.

answered by Guest | 11-25-2010 at 04:13 PM

WOW!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
-----------
Sad how you're a teacher but yet you don't know how to properly use your vs. you're. Also, it's impossible to give 200%. Please, YOU'RE a fraud...Sincerely YOURS, Concerned Parent
I just came on here to read some reviews re: brainetics and then I come across your post. What a turn off! I feel bad that your child is having MAJOR problems and struggling in school, but you are one rude, angry, B----! Obviously the (your/you're), was just a typo. I noticed that most of your punctuation is incorrect in your previous post. A teacher is just stating their opinion from their experience and you are lashing out like that? No wonder your kid has so many problems.

Stop making up excuses for your child and yourself! There are good teachers and bad teachers as well as good parents and less interested and less involved parents. Some teachers do not give 100% or even 75% and other teachers really do give 200%! Yes, teachers are paid to teach, but ultimately it is the parents responsibility to make sure that their child is learning and right where they should be for their grade level. Too many parents are too busy worrying about themselves and making excuses for their kids poor behavior and academic performance, and then placing all of the responsibility on the teacher.

Instead, these parents should be staying home a few nights from activities for there kids, etc...and taking the time to make sure their child learns the material for school, making sure their child understands how important it is to learn this material and most importantly making sure that their child respects the teacher and others in authority at their school. There is definitely too much teaching to standardized tests these days, but c'mon to lash out at a teacher who was just innocently giving an opinion! That was just plain wrong. You owe that teacher an apology! BTW, I am not a teacher. I am just a concerned parent. Thank you.

answered by Guest | 11-26-2010 at 12:14 PM

In my opinion, the greatest obstacle to a child's math learning skills can be found in the home.
What is a child to do when he/she is bombarded with negatives regarding math on a daily basis from birth.
These children, with the exception of those in households with parents who are either Math experts or engineers, are subjected to unwarranted negative connotations regarding the most important subject a child will ever learn. No other subject touches every aspect of their lives the way math does.
I am not a Mathematician by any stretch of the imagination, just a destroyer of myths.

I am an engineer who has had many successes teaching young children the basic concepts in mathematics at an early age. First we must destroy that fictitious two headed fire breathing dragon that the parents have created in the child's mind called math, then we can teach that child why math is so important and how it benefits them every minute of their lives. These are the things I do as a volunteer math tutor at the local elementary school teaching math to 3rd, 4th. and 5th. grade students. Students that have struggled with simple addition, subtraction, division and multiplication are now doing geometry, algebra, and some trigonometry before the they move on to middle school.

How many times have I heard the excuse from a frustrated parent, "I was never good at math so I can understand why my child has difficulty." Little do they know that they are subjecting their child to the same brain washing they received as a child.

answered by Guest | 11-26-2010 at 12:44 PM

believe the commercial
The commercial shows tricks for specific math problems. Learning all of those rules and remembering them is probably more work than just doing the math normally. Sure, those kids respond quickly to something they've just learned, but will all of those rules be instantly available to them a year later, 5 years later? Doubtful. Believe the commercial, but pay attention to what you're seeing.

answered by Guest | 11-30-2010 at 02:18 AM

The Cost is only $14.95 now for trial
So this will allow the vast majority of those who have voiced opinions on this thread about its methodology to actually try the product and see if their comments have any basis in fact.

I know this: I wish I'd had this when I was young. I did well at math and always enjoyed it, even in college. When I applied for graduate school, I took the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) as part of the application system. I took the electronic version., and I learned during preparation for the test that you should do each question carefully, since the total number right will give you higher scores. Guessing on the electronic test is not encouraged! I took too long on one question and I ended up having to literally guess on the last 5, as I ran out of time. The question required me to do a lot of simple math. If I had learned by using Brainetics, I would have gotten through that question significantly faster, and gotten a higher score. (I got a 650 out of 800, which is good, and fortunately, good enough to get me into the top grad school I wanted.) But that would not have been true for a lot of people who did the same thing.

I know that when I'm hit by questions like "Can you multiply 3 number digits in your head?" I tend to blank out, just skipping the question. But if I'd been trained by Brainetics (something which would be good for a lot of adults!), I would have been able to produce an answer that was accurate! That's worth a lot, even as an adult!

answered by Guest | 11-30-2010 at 11:15 AM

For all you parents out there whose kids struggle with math from grade to grade have them tested for a disability. My daughter was in first grade when she had to stay after and count cheese balls to add and subtract. Every year it was the same story, below grade level math skills. Math began to stress her out so bad that she was incapable of grasping it. After years of barely a passing grade I had the school system test her.

Yes she has a specific learning disability in math only. It is called dyscalculia ( google it). After the school diagnosed her she got special accommodations and extra help, labs and extra time. Since she had to take chemistry they aloud for accommodations there as well.

Even with the accommodations she still passed with a low c or high d. We found that the only thing that worked was a constant one on one with a tutor but that was very costly and only worked short term as her memory for math is constantly erased. Her SAT and ACT score in math was very very low but because she was diagnosed we could explain this on college applications.

Anyway she is in college now and still facing math difficulties. She is in a developmental math class and is barely passing it. She is the only one in her class allowed to use a calculator and she does get extra time but she just cannot do math. She gets 100 on her homework because she has help but cannot pass and exam by herself.

So what I am saying is get your kids tested it may help them with their GPA or at least they will understand that it is a disability and they probably will never understand math but get all the extra help that you can from your school.

I am not sure that brainetics can help my daughter since her math memory is very short term , but I have learned to quit stressing over the fact that she will never get the concept of math and we have an understanding that do your best, get your extra help, quit feeling like a failure and focus on the stuff your really good at...life's too short!

answered by Guest | 12-04-2010 at 03:17 PM

Too Good To Be True..
Remember the old saying "IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE" Enough said?? PRO posts here mean nothing because you have no idea who posted them. Are they related some way with the product?

Are they posted by the person or persons selling it? Who knows.. My advice is keep your $149.99 and spend more time with your children helping them learn. Rather then spending most of your time on the net or watching TV. That is why they come home with books. Just help them and YOU, understand by reading.

As adults you should know how to read I hope as you are here. Yes, everyone needs time to themselves but your children need you more. Stop looking for the slacker way out and blaming teachers for your own problems. Before you point your finger at someone or some quick easy fix. Try this, what could I do to help fix my child's math skills. Answer is, help them learn the basics to figure it out themselves.

If you want to stop someone from being hungry give them a fish. If you want them to never be hungry again, teach them to fish. People now days are too involved in there own satisfaction to worry about there offspring's future. The problem starts with you. It's OK to be a child's friend but be a teacher fist. Stop relying on other people to raise your children and do the job of being a parent yourself. Most of all, stop telling them they can't and that they can. Children need not only the power of reasoning but the boost of you can if you will just try.

When they get it right praise them and when they get it wrong just say, "let's try that on again together because I think that answer doesn't seem quite right but looks very close". This will redirect them to try again with your help without getting frustrated or feeling less of themselves. This is very important yelling and calling them some awful name only makes the learning worse and will withdraw them you and the skill of learning.

I always had a rule that work for me and my kids, no matter how busy I was, if they had a question I always took the time to answer it no matter how good or goofy it was. If I didn't know the answer, I would say, I don't know the answer but we will go find the answer together.
Your children need you, they have no one else they really trust but you..

Old School Dad

answered by Old School Dad | 12-05-2010 at 07:28 PM

JoshuaSail is exactly right. I am a teacher of mathematics and a math graduate student. This program should be followed by the ad: "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." There may be a self-esteem aspect that Byster projects, however, there is greater joy in learning why the concepts of mathematics are connected. For those who claim that learning these parlor math tricks will help their kids in high school and college level mathematics, I would ask: would being a great speller at the spelling bee make kids great writers or novelists?

Brainetics is touted as athletics for the brain, but I would call it a type of body-building. Who is more fit and graceful: well rounded athletes or body-builders that only make certain muscle groups bulky? Go ahead, make your child's brain a calculator, buy them brainetics, today!

answered by F^2 | 12-07-2010 at 09:42 AM

Defensive Teachers
Why do teachers get so defensive when a negative comment is made. If YOU are doing what YOU are suppose to do in the classroom then the post does not apply to YOU. I do know there are teachers out there that do not do their part to help students because they feel they are not getting paid enough so basically the school system is getting what they pay for! I don't see you all defending the teachers who molest students! Don't be so wishy-washy if your going to stick up for your fellow man go all the way with it.

answered by Guest | 12-07-2010 at 11:16 AM

Demolady
I just saw the infomercial and called to order it. On the commercial it was being advertised as $14.95 for "the complete package". As soon as I called the lady said well let me explain to you the options for your package. I told her I just wanted the complete package as advertised. She stated that I needed to know about the other options as well. She started with a package for $179.95. As soon as she described that package she asked me what I thought. I said that is a far cry from the advertised $14.95. so SHE HUNG UP ON ME!!! What does that say about their product?

answered by Guest | 12-08-2010 at 01:53 PM

user
I am a student who has actually used brainetics.
my thoughts and experiences:
1. yes, you do need to know the basis of your math
2.after you know the basis learn brainetics to be faster
3.do you know how great it is to be in a math competition your not allowed to have calculators and not have to show any work. its like you have your own calculator, just not AS fast.
4. no work is shown, more paper space, less trees to be cut down. earth friendly.
5. no, its not an everyday thing to divide by 143, but isn't it awesome to know how mentally.
6. i think anyone can do it, its not all memory of knowing which numbers your mentally holding, but memorizing the techniques of the shortcuts.
7. know your multiplication facts.
8. you guys are all wrong.
9. agree^^^^^ 200$ is not a lot for education
10. get over yourselves parents, its not the teachers fault that your kid isn't able to grasp the concepts like the other kids. like, if the whole class was failing, then it is the teachers problem. so if thats the case then sorry. but, its highly unlikely.
GET SOME FLASHCARDS.

answered by Guest | 12-09-2010 at 03:54 PM

Hmmm
So after I saw the infomercial for the millionth I decided to log on here and read some of these replies, all while taking a big fatty on the toilet. 20 mins in with plenty of gas out, I dropped the doogie and managed to cover 70 % of the replies here.

I feel refreshed. Today I'm ordering Brainetics for myself. I had college alg. MAT 1045,or 1048 (don't recall the number) 8 years ago and the prof was a douche, everything was all about formulas and memorization. I honestly can't remember a whole lot from that class. Since I'm fairly interested in looking at this product and using it myself.

Just because I'm bored in the office and need brain exercise, plus it's a great topic of discussion with all of the single moms out there at the gym. (awesome place to pick up numbers at and meet new people who want to go out on coffee dates. Who knew 4-5 Caramel Machiatos will get you play time...good stuff I tell you.)

I'll keep all of you Happy Gilmores updated of what it does for me. In the meantime for all of those overly/highly educated people with big egos. You people need to get laid! You bicker like monkeys on here trying to prove some lame points ! No one is going to care or remember what you typed up. Just like my post will be forgotten after you go and take a fatty drop break. Anywho, time to go smoke something green and then go to sleep. So long.

The dooooggie mannnn yyyyeahhhhppp!!!!

answered by Guest | 12-10-2010 at 12:45 PM

Wow...
I am a 28 year old who is going back to college for the first time in 7 years. I saw thee infomercial for brainetics and was immediately amazed.

I unlike a lot of students am a "math person". It just clicks for me. There is a lot to be said for a program that can teach you these short cuts. Even being a math person I couldn't come near solving those problems as fast as those kids. It speaks volumes to be able to pull the solution that fast. You can learn the process and understand the process and still not get the answers right. If you understand what this program does which is show you the answer it will, in turn, help you see what wrongs you are committing in "the steps". As long as you understand that that is what it's doing.

This is not going to stop a child, student, or adult from learning the process because every teacher you have is going to make sure the processes are put in front of you and do their damndest to make sure you learn them. I haven't had a math class that only wants the answer, but i have done the work correctly and gotten the answer wrong. As I recall you get points for everything. Turning my brain into a calculator seems like a great idea. I think I can understand both methods fine and knowing both will make me a better student and help in life.

REMEMBERING everything you learn is one of the most difficult things to do and if this program increases my memory in the slightest bit it was worth any money i could pay. You live and you learn. I am ordering the product today to try it out.

The only way to know what it does is to try it. Too many of you are TELLING everyone how this program works without KNOWING how it works. In thee end they are all opinions and just that. Only one student who actually tried the program made a comment and they said to give it a shot. In the end the steps will be taught in class memorizing both the steps/reason you get thee answer and maybe a shortcut or two to getting thee answer is not a terrible thing. Multiplication, division, addition and subtraction are all used in the steps to getting the final answer as well.

After trying it out I'll let you all know how much of a scam I feel Brainetics is. In the mean time all of you try and calm down a bit.

answered by Returning student | 12-13-2010 at 06:47 PM

I have taught in Montessori, in the public schools and have home-schooled my children. There are pros and cons to EVERY system out there! There are other programs that mirror the Brainetics concept but whichever one you focus on you'll find that it will help some people, others will benefit more from a different tactic. Everyone learns differently and has different opinions, as well. No right or wrong in a situation like this, just understanding. I applaud the mature, respectful posters on this site (of all ages!) and appreciate all the feedback.

answered by Guest | 12-15-2010 at 02:10 AM

I think its worth trying
After reading through a few of these comments, i decided i need to speak up. I graduated from high school last year so I know first hand how students feel and exactly how well the teachers are getting through to them.

I have been looking at this product for a while because I, like a lot of other students, couldn't seem to grasp mathematics concepts. In high school I had to take Algebra 1 twice, both my freshman and sophomore year. My first year I failed terribly due to a teacher that didn't take the time to reach out to the students who really needed the help or even teach the lesson thoroughly. She was also a very corrupt teacher who was very fresh out of college and liked to play favorite in her class, only giving good grades and paying attention to those who showed her attention in return.

My sophomore year was the absolute opposite. My teacher was again, a fairly new teacher, but she had a serious passion for what she was teaching. You could tell she loved her job and her students and she sacrificed anything she needed to in order to get the message through to her classes. I was lucky to get another teacher like this my junior year and was able to pass Geometry my first time through, never having a grade lower than a C and that was an extremely rare case.

I hadn't had grades like this in a math class since I was in elementary school. When I saw this program, It reminded me of those two teachers that really helped me. Even after I had passed the class, those teacher offered to help me when I got to algebra 2, where I once again had a teacher who couldn't teach the subject on in a matter where all of her students could grasp it. My algebra 1 and geometry teachers taught much in the way that the brainetics program seems to work,with games and riddles and interactive learning. I also dont see any problem with the "shortcuts" because the thing i figured out about math is that there are numerous ways to find the right answer. The "basic steps" as the teachers and other people that have been referring to were once shortcuts also when math came about.

They were new once also, so whats wrong with finding an even more simple way to figure these questions out? I have a creative brain where I always excelled in arts and music classes and not much else, and this gives a more creative approach to math, which is something I strived to find for many years.

And also to those that say this only helps with the lower level math and is useless in higher level mathematics, is the advanced math anything other than a series of lower level math problems put into one equation? I think this program would be very beneficial for any student that has searched for a way to understand and could grasp the way the teacher delivered the lesson. Nothing against teachers, I have them in my family and also many friends that are teachers, but different students learn different ways and teachers cant always accommodate all of them. I know first hand.

answered by Jessica H | 12-22-2010 at 02:15 PM

Try it, you can always send it back.
I read through many of the comments before writing this and i am for anything that will give my children an edge in school. I purchased Brainetics for my children. I have one in college (he does well in math) but my 10th and 5th graders are struggling. I thought with all the money that I have spent on private school, $150 is NO BIG DEALl. I did not realize that Brainetics was going to help me too. I watched all the DVD's first. I wanted to review the DVD's so I could help my youngest child who is really struggling and I was impressed.

I won't give my age but as I have a child in college it has been some time since I was in school. I HATED math when I was in school (I failed twice) and had to go to summer school. It would have been great to know some of the tricks then and I never thought that Brainetics would helped with my job. I recently had to take a test for a position in the agency I work for. The test was a timed exam and NO CALCULATORs were allowed. I thought that I was going to fail for sure and that I could kiss my chance for the promotion good-bye. There were word problems. I HATE word problems. Someone needs to come up with a trick for word problems but as for the rest of the math questions...Well let's just say I passed and I credit the Brainetics program for helping me calculate many of the answers quickly.

Even though the test was multiple choice, I used the brainetic techniques to calculate the answer and if the answer I came up with was one of the multiple choices then that was the answer I picked. Oh! just to be clear I calculated first before looking at the answer choices on the test. I did much better on the math portion of the test than I could have done before watching the program. And by the way, my 10th and 5th graders are enjoying math and having fun.

With all that said, parents spend a lot of money on gaming systems, the games and assorted attachments, the cost of Brainetics in comparison is insignificant to the success your child (and YOU) could achieve. Try it first before you bash it. It has a thirty day guarantee if you don't like it.
P.S. I have also purchased books on Vedic Math and Mental Math tricks. As I stated, I am always willing to try anything to give my children a learning edge.

answered by Guest | 12-24-2010 at 01:35 PM

student
Much ado about nothing. What a child gets in school today is a SAMPLING of education. There are many ways to solve most math problems. A school cannot teach all of the ways. What you get in your education box is what school officers think you should get. Brainetics is a sample of what is "outside the box" that exists at your school.

There is no trick to what Brainetics has done. It is simply polynomial math with emphasis on memory techniques. It is merely just another way to solve the given problem. You can check this out quickly and easily by working a simple problem two ways as follows:

................... 39 X 39 = ?

You can work it out the way it was taught to me in grade school:

...............____
............._____

Now let's look at this notation as Brainetics looks at it:

...........___
............81.............. 9X9
......... 270.............. 30X9
..........270.............. 30X9
..........900............. 30X30
........_____

One obvious advantage to this method is that there is no way to misplace the decimal point.

A few years from now the new student will encounter something like this in math:

................ (a + b) X (a + b) = (a + b) squared = a squared + 2 (a X b) + b squared.

This is simple introductory polynomial math.

It just is not included in the "box" for beginners. Brainetics shows how to deal with this
method by using the expanded process for obtaining the answer. And it simplifies the
placing of the decimal point if one is needed. It is just a clarification of the standard
process. The added value of Brainetics is the training of the memory and visualization
procedures -- which, in itself, is very useful.

I confess that I did not take the time to read all the many comments, so I must apologize
if I am repeating what others may have already stated.

Other comments:
Scientology was created by a science fiction author. It started out like Gary Gygax"s game of Dungeons and Dragons.

Math majors are common; mathematicians should instantly recognize the methods of the
polynomial math process.

Teachers are not required to try to explain the basis of problem-solving techniques which are NOT in the prescribed curriculum ("box").

My view is that many problems and misunderstandings arise when terminology is not clearly defined. Somewhere, sometime, during negotiations, someone will stand up and say
"What do you mean by that? We need to define all the terms that we are using in this discussion."

If the populace continues to lavish great rewards on athletics and entertainment and banking abuse and myopic government, we shall be lucky to ever see achievement in science, engineering, and education.

I feel that I am about one-fourth educated after a lifetime of study and about 400 semester-hours of formal education (plus about 500 semester-hour equivalents in nonformal education.

Still a student, you see.

answered by baldo134 | 12-24-2010 at 07:05 PM

Billy
I see a lot of people here talking about the waste of money buying this Brainetics for their kids.

Better to spend the money on Dungeons and Dragons?

I ordered mine last week, haven't got it yet, I'm 69 years old.

If nothing else I'm curious, and not too old to still learn something, even if it is just trickery.

Keep the mind active. Maybe I can con somebody into thinking I'm some old genius or something, there's gotta be some benefit to it.

Who knows I might be able to dazzle some thirty something SWF.

It's thirty day free return shipping if you don't think it's what you want.

All it costs is a trip to the post office if you don't like it.

The kid on the phone told me just mark it return to sender.

answered by Guest | 12-28-2010 at 08:47 AM

I downloaded the 5 CD's to this product. Simple put, it works. Any kind of product that helps kids in any fashion is better than one that doesn't. These techniques are meant to help kids help themselves. I like it.

answered by CPR | 12-29-2010 at 10:06 AM

I can't believe I have ever read a lot of waffle from a bunch of whingeing septics tanks. Maybe I'm being too harsh there were some valuable comments here and there. I too saw the infomercial and yes like any infomercials it had its sales pitch but anyway thats beside the point

For those who have some interest in learning the basics go to this website

hinduism.co.za/vedic.htm#Tutorial

PS Septics tanks is Rhyming slang

answered by Guest | 12-29-2010 at 01:02 PM

Please do not buy this to help your children with math.

This will not help them. It is a DVD on maths tricks.
Unless they get super eager to read proper maths books after this they will only learn maths tricks.

There is no theory on these DVDs. No real math. Only calculators, actors and tricks.

Buy a proper maths education application that your child's math teacher endorses for their level.

answered by Guest | 01-02-2011 at 07:30 AM

Brainetics
Why are Asians so good at math? They are better than most westerners, particularly Americans. It is because how they learn is geared towards passing exams, e.g. shortcuts. They do not focus on the theories behind arithmetic and algebra; they just learn how to get the answer fast. They do everything in their head.

We can see that at the graduate level, there is no real difference between the abilities of westerners (Americans in particular) and Asians because at that level the focus is on the how and why.

answered by Guest | 01-02-2011 at 06:55 PM

Brainetics
My point was it is important to learn what is pertinent at a young age, e.g. how to get the correct answer as quickly as possible. When children learn algebra or calculus, their strength in calculation and memory will help them.

answered by Guest | 01-02-2011 at 07:09 PM

Save $140.00
Go to Amazon.com and you'll get very specific reviews. I looked at one of the books to teach the same principals and save $140.00 and this is the book to do it:

Secrets of Mental Math (it has another book cover and it is the SAME BOOK, called Think Like a Math Genius). I'm trying this one first.

answered by Guest | 01-10-2011 at 04:17 PM

Stealing from Vedic Math
For everybody's information, the number system (and the zero) we use today was developed in India along with the vedic math.

All the methods are available free at

http://www.vedicmaths.org/Home%20Page.asp

answered by Guest | 01-10-2011 at 09:28 PM

Someone Said it Was Crap
nowpublic.com/health/brainetics-scam

I saw somewhere on this site, like maybe five comments or so down a woman who said that the package was flashcards, a deck of cards and a book. She said that the kids had to already know their multiplication tables (which the package didn't include) and that the system was extremely complicated.

There are a few posts from some kids who did the system in their school. One said it worked, the other said it was just as complicated as answering the questions normally.

On top of that, looking at the commercials, I don't care what system you've used, you can't know the answer to a MATH problem less than a second after they utter the last number. Even with 2+2, you've got to recall the numbers and THEN answer the question before saying something, especially when someone is leaving you in suspense. So, I'd say that it's obvious that in a classroom of 13, you can't ask what is 267+565+......879 and all of the hands immediately shoot up, almost before you finish speaking. Not plausible.

I'd say that the system isn't going to help. If your child doesn't understand how addition works, then the DVD isn't going to help because you've still got to understand that you put the numbers together to get another. The only thing I can think of is that he uses tricks to get them to memorize things and on that note, I wonder why the system doesn't TEACH multiplication, which kids have more trouble with than adding (which doesn't involve multiplication).

I had trouble memorizing my times tables but according to a review on the website listed above, his secret is to have people "repeat the number" over and over.

MY method was to remember basics like 5x5=25 and add from there or things like 9x5=45 and 54 is the opposite, which happens to be the answer to 9x6.

I'm not a math wiz by any means. If your child needs help and doesn't understand the basics of putting two things together to get something else, I'm not sure what to tell you except that this DVD won't help. It's meant for speed and I'm not sure when that is ever a necessity. If your kid is having trouble and there's nothing else the teachers can do and you can't help them, then the best you can do is let them work it out on their own. I didn't know all of my times tables until I was a Junior in High School in a College Algebra class and it didn't hurt me by any means. I had straight A's in elementary and my High School GPA was 3.9.

Sometimes the solution is not a DVD but for your child to develop a method of their own.

answered by Chaniqua | 01-12-2011 at 11:16 AM

Seriously
THERE IS NO NEED FOR HOSTILITY, NAME CALLING, OR PUTTING EACH OTHER DOWN IN THIS BLOG. Also, there is no need for further or deeper justification on your point of view.

If you want to try it, do so. Surely, everyone on this blog has wasted more money than the full price of this products cost alone on something that didn't really even intrigue your curiosity (which it must be intriguing your curiosity, if you feel you need to comment on the product at all... that's precious time taken away from well, almost anything else in the world you could be doing, just to state your feelings on a product you neither care to love or hate. And if you don't want to get it, simply don't get it.

There is no need to put the creator of Brainectics down in any way. No one is holding a gun to your head saying "buy the product" for either you or your children "or else."

After all, It is just another product out there for you to either waste your time on, entertain your curiosity of it's services, gamble with, or invest on you and/or your family's future. Certainly, some people are disappointed about the price and feel that negative feedback is all they can retaliate with, because they didn't come up with this money making idea themselves, or because they can not afford to buy something that they are really so very curious about.

BTW & FYI, a blog like this "product blogs" may only truly serve a purpose if you have actually tried the product ( you all "non testers, just posters" are so adamantly commenting on ) for a while and have really gain more experience on it's real time "pros" and "cons." Other then that, your just feeding back your loose end opinions (which are really a waste of time and blog pages). Really PEOPLE, MAKE YOUR OPINION COUNT! Otherwise treat this product like your child's toys or video games you waste way more money on because they have either broke it, lost it, damaged or grew up out of and see it how you want to see it (time and/or money waster or learning fun and entertainment for as long as it can possibly enlighten you or your love ones).

answered by Who Cares! | 01-18-2011 at 08:00 AM

Blah Blah Blah
What a bunch of whiners, itís 150 bucks! If your kid learns it? GREAT!
If it gets him over $150.00 in free drinks at the Bar? Even Better.
See there is real purpose to use it. CHEERS. And It will never go to waste. Bravo.

answered by Guest | 01-20-2011 at 04:44 PM

I bought the product and it works
I was so curious I splurged and bought this program. I learned the suggested techniques (some call it tricks - I prefer to refer to it as techniques) and was eager to use them on friends of mines children who were struggling with math, focus and attention.

The kids excelled...and for the following reasons:

1) they had fun learning

2) they got the answers - no matter how you slice it 2+2 =4 - - - of course they were getting much harder computations correct but the excitement and energy of wanting to continue and learn more in of itself was worth every dime.

This is not a substitute for an education - these children are not leaving school since learning a few new ways to add, subtract and divide.

This program enables memory as well. Some of the techniques they use require you to remember the process (and understand the process as well). This program actually touches on several different parts of the brain which in turn helps students in other areas of brain function.

I do not believe this product is a scam .... it is an enhancement of other ways to think and yes "OUTSIDE OF THE BOX"

For the record....more adults are purchasing this product for themselves and not for children.

I found it to be fun and worthwhile and the bottom line is....the kids learned and can add 20, 3digit numbers in their head in minutes......can you say the same???

Hope this helps...take care

answered by Guest | 01-22-2011 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
-----------
Sad how you're a teacher but yet you don't know how to properly use your vs. you're. Also, it's impossible to give 200%. Please, YOU'RE a fraud...Sincerely YOURS, Concerned Parent
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

answered by Guest | 01-24-2011 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
A child who uses Brainetics without the proper background will not understand why math works, only that math works
Brainetics is nothing but a cheap trick that hinders the mind and prevents children from developing skills in critical thinking, which IS used everywhere, everyday, no matter what your lifestyle or career.

- Mathematician
I seriously disagree.....in real life many things we learn in school aren't used as such. However, Being a College grad myself, all through my school years the need to answer questions and problems that may or may not play a role in my professional was high. In order to get good grades, a student ca not argue, "when will I use this stuff?", so as a result they need the help to get through the exams to graduate.

If Brainetics provides such an edge so be it. TO say it is useless, is flat out wrong. Any product that makes learning fun, gets children engaged, and keeps them focused on learning, is a good product. Yes, basics should be learned as well. However, if you truly watch the videos, basic math skills are needed (you have to know 5x5, add numbers together, etc).

The fact that a child can answer 625x625 in a matter of seconds goes a long way to giving them more time to answer in depth questions when they are taking Regents, SATs, etc. Any exam that has a time limit, a student could use the extra time to answer the more difficult questions and use the Brainetics system to breeze through the simpler ones. In my professional career, when a client needs to know the numbers, they don't care the "science" behind the math, they just need to know what the number is and if it's correct.

For everyone with an attitude about how this product doesn't work and you haven't even TRIED it yet...stop being so small thinking and open your mind. Why would people think 100 years ago if they saw you using a calculator?

The product has merit, but like anything else, a good foundation is the key to everything.

answered by Guest | 02-05-2011 at 03:56 PM

Get a Grip!!!!
If your going to spend the time to sit down and teach your kids Brainetics than you may as well just sit with them and teach them basic math. My daughter was a little slow to start. She is a bit of a daydreamer but i just sit her down each day after school and have her run through about 40 basic maths equations and now she loves maths and gets the top results when it comes to tests.

She is still a bit of a daydreamer but when it comes to doing the tests she gets the results!. And make sure they are getting the basics, 2x, 5x, 10, adding to 10 and adding to 20. May sound too basic to some but a lot of people skip this thinking they make their children smarter by pushing big numbers onto them only to confuse them.

Make sure they get those basics first then you will be amazed. And let them use their fingers and toes if they have to. Just like reading aloud, eventually they will do it in their head. And NEVER NEVER rely on the teachers. They cant do it all and most wont. I think my child does more school work when she gets home than she does all day at school!

answered by Robyn | 02-08-2011 at 09:59 PM

Copying vedic math
I have not gone through the whole Brainetics program but the little I have seen only screams "Vedic math". That's right.Its a system of math mentioned in the ancient hindu vedas and was rediscovered in 1911 by Sri Bharti Krishna Thirthaji.

One can always go back and do extensive research on vedic math to see that the techniques were put in use thousands of years ago in ancient India. The techniques that Mike Byster uses are similar to if not the same as these. I only wish that he would acknowledge the sixteen sutras in sanskrit that are helping him commercialize his product.

He may have come up with more techniques of his own but most of them are pretty much the same. I ask you all to read up on vedic math and see that all the math techniques are available for free or less from the web.

answered by Guest | 02-11-2011 at 11:34 PM

The Price of Convenience
Someone tell me why most of us can't recite 5 numbers from our cell phone address book. This is yet another "thing" to take shortcuts because we have been led to believe that everything we do in our lives requires a shortcut and/or something to make it quicker to accomplish.

We also believe that this in and of itself means that it is easier. A 10 year old can send thousands of text messages a month (still not sure why 10 year olds are carrying around cell phones), but most 15 year olds are struggling with basic writing and grammar skills in the classroom.

Wait, I recently heard about some schools are not even teaching cursive handwriting skills any longer (oh, I forgot, gotta spend all their time teaching to help pass the state administered standardized tests). Since when has it made any sense to jump right into learning shortcuts before the basics.

answered by Guest | 02-15-2011 at 07:42 PM

People Lighten Up
I think people are taking the Brainetics product too seriously. It is not advertised as a replacement for learning math the traditional way, but as an enhancement to what you have been exposed to. I have the product and as an professional engineer, I find the shortcuts quite helpful.

Math is all about the recognition of patterns and each of you that have posted on this website have implored some of math's shortcuts at one time or another. Its just a another way to help understand how numbers work. I think that this is just a soapbox wherein people who want to find fault with someone who is trying to share some great techniques, to criticize. What have you made or helped share with someone who is having trouble with math? If you haven't done anything on a consistent basis to help some one else, do us all a favor and shut the hell up!

answered by Guest | 02-24-2011 at 03:42 PM

I came to this post to find out if this is worth buying for my kids and to read up on personal experiences of those who actually DID purchase the product. Most of what I see is bashing! I basically skipped through all the long post talking about other subjects. Thank you to the few that did post about their personal experiences with the product. That's exactly the post I was looking for. Can we all stick to the subject?!

answered by Guest | 02-24-2011 at 09:06 PM

Show your working
I just wonder in a test what happens if the question requires you to show your workings as to how you solved the question.......does brainetics show them that?

answered by Guest | 03-04-2011 at 08:15 PM

Yes I have used the product!
My Mother-In-Law has sent my son Brainetics to trial for his 10th birthday. So far we've gone through the first disc and basically just learned some tricks for manipulating numbers and patterns. My son is OK with maths at school but tends to feel discouraged and frustrated at times with the way maths is presented and practiced which, of course, slows learning and makes maths homework less appealing as an afterschool activity.

He is currently finding the program a little challenging but enjoying it thoroughly and is even keen to pull it out after school!

While the program is basically tricks and games and some use of calculators, there are certainly benefits in this. Playing with and building familiarity with numbers and patterns takes away the fear many people have of anything involving numbers and of course makes it all the more fun. It also teaches how to follow steps and logical progressions of calculations. My son isn't interested in rote learning his times tables and he gets bored with the repetitive way maths is practiced (I was exactly the same at his age and am now an engineer) but this provides a fun way of playing with numbers and practicing those same skills targeted by the boring year 5 maths program.

I haven't decided whether it is worth the money to keep past the 30 day trial (we are in week 3 so I'll decided soon) but even if we don't keep it there are definitely games and tricks that we will continue to practice. Not only is this good for my sons maths skills and thought processes, but it's good for us :0)

answered by Guest | 03-23-2011 at 05:48 AM

Well i haven't bought or used the product, basically because i think it is a waste of money. For starters most of the tricks and quick solutions to the questions are already easily available through search engines and you wont pay a cent.

Also in the later levels of my high school education, in any math exam only half the points were awarded for the answer and the other half were awarded for the working out of the problem, so personally i think this would be a waste of time and money if you think this will be teaching your kids better math then the rest of the class will be learning through traditional learning methods.

Getting the answer without actually knowing how you got it seems pretty damn pointless to me, especially with a lot of these tricks only working with the exact number specified, so what happens if the kids are asked a question that is slightly different then the question they know the trick to and they haven't learnt the proper way to get the solution. Really this type of thing should only be used to build on an math education not to create one.

answered by Guest | 03-23-2011 at 10:41 PM

Like most of the people posting here, I have not purchased this program. I came to this website to see what others, who had used it, had to say about the experience.

I've found so much negativity that is unfounded. How can you bash something you have not tried? I suppose this site is the same as every other site out there. It seems, these days, people just want to spew negativity, and you are hard-pressed to find anyone saying anything good.
Watching the commercial for this product, I don't believe that it is suggesting that this is a replacement for conventional mathematics or learning the basics. In fact, it seems that you must already have a handle on the basics in order to do the "tricks" that are being taught.
The short-cuts still require basic addition and multiplication to solve them. It is simply showing a way of solving the problems faster, using basic math. I see nothing wrong with that.

Really, after learning to count, isn't all math short-cuts that build on each other? Multiplication tables are short-cuts. Without memorizing them, we would have to do 5+5+5=15, or just go back to using a whole lot of tally marks.
Once basic math is understood, what is the problem with learning methods to answer faster?

Especially if it gives a child confidence and let's them have fun?
I, myself, never liked math. I remember feeling embarrassed and humiliated in the third grade when we "played" the flashcard game. Two children standing side by side while the teacher holds up the flashcard to see who could answer faster. I also remember being left up at the chalkboard trying to work a problem that I did not understand. Only to turn and find that while I was writing it down, the teacher went out of the room to refill her cup of coffee, leaving me standing in front of a bunch of snickering kids.

One teacher even made fun of me for using my fingers.
I found math to be a source of humiliation. I think that, had I had access to a program like this in elementary school, I would have had a completely different outlook regarding math.
Even if it is just a game that excites kids, it still has them using their minds. And, for some kids, anything that can get them excited about math is just short of a miracle.
The three "tricks" they showed on the commercial got me excited. Wow, I can multiply three digit numbers without a piece of paper and a pencil!? Awesome!

To all the naysayers, I highly doubt that this product is going to bring down the entire education system. I don't think that the kids that use this product are going to be sitting under overpasses saying, "That Brainetics program ruined my life" in twenty years.
I think that they are going to be just fine. It is just one more tool. We can use all the tools we can get.

answered by Guest | 03-26-2011 at 02:13 AM

This whole "multiplication is just a shortcut for addition" justification needs to stop, because it isn't. 2+2+2+2=2x4 has a process behind it and isn't some parlor trick like the one's in the infomercial. For those of you who failed to grasp the concept the first time 2+2+2+2=2(1+1+1+1)=2(4). multiplication tables are 2nd grade work and that's pre-algebra, but it shouldn't take a genius to connect those dots.

I haven't used the brainetics system, but i have to agree that this system may hinder a child's ability in higher level mathematics. I'm in college and I am a tutor. the biggest problem I see with kids in high school math (geometry, algebra2, trig) is a complete lack of understanding of how math works. They are perfectly capable of taking an equation and plugging in values, but they don't understand the concept behind the equation. As soon as the face of the problem changes or they have to start utilizing multiple concepts to solve one problem, they are lost.

From what I've seen in the infomercial the brainetics system does exactly the same thing as giving kids simple formulas where they plug in values and a arrive at an answer, which is cool but will only worsen the lack of understanding I'm seeing.

answered by Guest | 03-31-2011 at 07:09 PM

Too much time on my hands!
Quote:
There are many tricks like this out there and I'm fairly positive that brainetics uses these techniques...so if you wanna save money, just read a book over vedic mathematics or a book known as "Math Magic"
If you are going to give examples of your way of working out mathematical problems please try to at least get them right because last time i multiplied 28x11 i came up with 308 not 309 as you stated and boy you made it very confusing to work something so easy out!
my way of working that out would of been as easy as 10x28=280 + 1x28=28 so 280+28 = 308.
Your vedic system may work but you obviously haven't quite grasped it yet.

answered by Guest | 04-30-2011 at 09:22 AM

Still too much time on my hands!
Quote:
Brainetics aside, I suggest using pencil and paper, a calculator, or more deliberate "mental math."
Seriously if you are going to try correct someone else's post at least get it right!

Last time i took 144 from 360000 i came up with 359 856 so maybe you do really need to get that pen and paper out and practice your mathematical skills?

answered by Guest | 04-30-2011 at 09:28 AM

Sounds Convincing
I'm a mother of 2 children, and when I was in school I struggled desperately with math. I worked so hard, had tutoring, went to after school classes, etc...and no matter how hard I tried I never got it. I can add, subtract, multiple, and divide, but beyond that I've always had a brain fog when it comes to math.

I had so much anxiety over math that I never considered myself as smart when I was in school, and this insecurity had great affect on my confidence in other areas as well. I went to schools with larger class sizes, so it was hard for the teachers to have the time that I needed to walk me through the problem solving even with the tutoring and after school classes that I went to on my own initiative.

I do not want my kids to be in the same predicament, or to ever think they are stupid like I have felt so many times in my life, so I say if it works and helps them gain confidence then who cares if it's based on shortcuts as long as they get the correct answer in the end. I'm definitely going to give it a try, so I'm looking forward to giving it a review afterwards.

answered by Maye | 07-04-2011 at 11:37 PM

Such a worthy investment!
Hi there, I have bought brainetics for my kids and my daughter used it for the first time the other day and she couldn't stop using it, she loved it and already I have noticed her focus has improved and she can calculate multiplication, addition etc much more faster.

She has wowed not only me but my parents and herself for the first time in her 16 years she is enjoying maths and actually makes excuses to use some of the brainetics tips and tricks, it uses some of the most simple and easy techniques that you wouldn't think of using just a deck of cards etc.

Ours came with a on the move book which is full of really fun sounding car games involving, spelling, memory, fast thinking and maths, you can switch some of the principles around on some games eg; instead of naming famous people you could use countries, states and towns of just one for a more challenging game for example: Penny: New York! (ends in K...) Sammi: Kentucky (ends in Y...) Emma: Yugaslovia (ends in A...) and so on a so forth. it is definitely a worthy investment, I am not regretting buying it!!! We love BRAINETICS!!!! For the first time I have found a product which actually teaches you the steps and techniques to understand math! We love it.

answered by Brainetics Lover | 07-08-2011 at 08:18 PM

Ms
I had recently seen this program late at night on a television infomercial, I was interested in the program for my child and thought that I wouldn't know whether it worked on not until I gave it a go. Taking into account that each child is different I was willing to give it a go.

The advertisement/marketing for the product on television advertised the cost to be that of $19.95 and if you were to ring within the next ten minutes you would get it sent out to you for free, so no postage and handling which otherwise would have cost $14.95, with no mention of any other additional cost and charges. Keeping in mind the adage that "if its too good to be true, then it probably is", which I had already come to the conclusion of within the first couple of minutes of the infomercial, I decided to ring and inquire anyway.

The advertisement was through a business by the name of 'TV Shop' which is a New Zealand based company. Upon ringing and briefly placed on hold, I was told that the influx of calls was of a great volume and that they would ring me back within 30minutes or they could ring me back the following day. I chose the option of having my call returned the following day. My call was returned the following day and I had explained to me that that the program was just not a maths program but a learning tool, and it was best used on a daily basis for about 20minutes.

If i were to see no results from the program I could just simply send the program back within a period of 30 days. All was fine (that bit I already learnt from the infomercial). What they weren't upfront with in the infomercial, was that if I were to keep the program, I would be sent additional DVDs and programs which would build on a library of resources for my child to use and I would be billed the amount of $49.95 per month for a total of 6 months. So the program would cost a total of $300, and not $19.95 which was what was advertised. I told the customer service rep that I wasn't happy with the false information advertised and that it was on the verge of just tricking people into calling.

I stated that I wasn't happy with the lack of honesty and that if the advertisement for the product was not able to be upfront and honest from the start in regards to the actual cost, then how could I trust that the program being sold was genuine? I declined on purchasing the product but only after asking if I could be put through to a supervisor so that I could make a suggestion and comment about what I felt was their deceptiveness and how as a result of this I'd lost interest immediately (as I'm sure would other people).

I was told that I could only be placed through to a supervisor or someone in customer service who could hear about my comments and suggestions but only if I were already a customer. Scam?, dishonest?, deceptive?, trickery? - all I can do is just allow each individual to make up their own minds about this "Brainetics" program while taking into account my own experience.

answered by Irene | 07-10-2011 at 08:42 AM

Such a genius
For someone who is clearly so intelligent and such a genius (well in your own mind anyway), why bother wasting your time by placing a post in the first place? - it's only really for cretins or so you seem to state.

answered by Guest | 07-10-2011 at 08:53 AM

It is an expensive scam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
I just came across this product Brainetics after seeing someone tweeting about it but as soon as I read its introductory page I began thinking of the Just Another Scam story. Could it be? Where do I find a review of the product?
See this website with some recent experiences of users. You could call it a scam, like you will read from the lady who bought this and found that kids need to be highly intelligent to learn Brainetics. The other issue that education specialists rise, is that very rigid 'fun thinking' is encouraged and kids will not be able to think 'outside the box'. the rules are strict and apply to certain numbers, but the performance in other areas of math (algebra, geometry) is very seriously impacted in a negative way.

answered by Johan | 08-04-2011 at 05:57 AM

Very cool
Quote:
I contribute the work out and the way that Brainetics trained her mind to retain information as the key element that took her from A's to WOWIE!
This quote tends to make more sense of the matter to mine that this product reinforces CONFIDENCE. This is a very critical thing to posses as a person for any significant task we undertake. As a flight instructor I have noted the confidence enhances your decision making ability and tends to stave off anxiety , and that environment does foster a better learning environment. I am still evaluating the product so I don't have much information to pass on as far as results are concerned.
People forget that Teachers are normal people like everyone else, there are good ones and bad ones. I have one son who has been diagnosed with ADHD and one that is an Honors student. Some times it's about the stimulus.

answered by Guest | 08-20-2011 at 01:29 PM

Why not both?
Hi, I have just ordered Brainetics as I am willing to give this potential learning SUPPLEMENTARY tool a try. I see lots of arguments for it, or against it, but not many for using both approaches. Why not teach your children theory (working from A to Z, so to speak) but also here's the answer, how did you get it (working from Z to A). Is there anything wrong with teaching both, especially for some students that are dyslexic and need some assistance to score high on standard tests and to have the confidence of getting a right answer then working to figure out why? Would appreciate your thoughts but more importantly to any peer-reviewed research that has looked at this product from an objective (scientific) view.
Thanks a lot!

answered by Guest | 08-28-2011 at 02:14 AM

Why don you teach your child?
Quote:
Why does my child get told that they ask too many questions? Is this not what teachers go to college for? You should never tell a child they ask too many questions this is a discouragement for child to hear that.
I am struck by how little you seem to have done to help your child. Bookstores have sections devoted to subject workbooks from preschool on up. Pick a subject and a grade level; you'll find plenty of help. Look on the internet for on-line tutorial on whatever subject you need help with. Ask your child's school for on-line programs they recommend. But that's only the start. Then you have to provide the discipline, motivation, and rewards to help your child through this extra work.

It seems to me that, for the most part, kids who don't do well in school have parents who are not willing to put in the time and effort that their children need. You cannot blame the school for our lack of effort.

answered by Guest | 09-01-2011 at 03:30 AM

ADHD? WTF? If you feed your kids organic food and not crap then the US nation would not be a bunch of fatsos and would not have ADHD!

answered by Guest | 09-11-2011 at 05:44 PM

Conservative idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Me Conservative View Post
I wish those of you who are liberal were this skeptical of the "Obamacare" math while the legislation was being debated for 9 months. For the sake of saving $99 to $204 you will argue over a single infomercial to show how smart you are, but you cannot take the time to put 2 and 2 together to realize what you will lose in taxes and freedoms due to a hasty and flawed "reform". The sad thing is that no matter how well our children perform at math, it will likely take years before this mess will be undone. The situation will be similar to what is happening in all of these states that have pension programs providing over a million dollars of benefits for less than $200k "paid in" by the employee. If you cannot figure that math out, what hope do you have of teaching your children?
Go away. This isn't a forum to spout your ignorant view of politics, the economy, healthcare, etc. How irritating. Back to the question at hand.... Who has tried this program for a while and how did it work as a supplement???? For the "mathematician" and others, have you actually tried it and learned what his shortcuts are? Are you SURE you know what this program entails before you say it's not helpful??

answered by Guest | 11-11-2011 at 04:28 AM

When people make claims without actually trying the product that is where rumors start.
If you're going to give your opinion, make sure you tried Brainetics first.

answered by Guest | 11-27-2011 at 04:52 PM

A REAL REVIEW OF BRAINETICS!
Quote:
I just want to say that I am a 12 year old and I've just started to use this. It is AWESOME! I've learned so much, and this is not a scam in any way. Sure, you DO need to learn all of the basics first. I was already a straight a student, but this has made me take much less time on homework and such. I have fallen asleep in class several times unfortunately (haha) because it is all so easy. My classmates do not understand as I do. This is fun, and trust me I am not a nerd in any sense. I have however completed my mother's algebra textbooks when I was 8. This is fun to learn during summer and weekends, which I do. But it should never be used alone-you need the basics first.
This twelve-year-old just summed up in one sentence what everyone has been fighting about for pages here! Thank you!

Of course everyone needs to learn the "fundamentals" of math-but most of the basics we are taught in school are also just tricks. What it comes down to is this:it is very important that we understand WHY a certain formula gets us the correct answer. When we understand that, we don't need to memorize the formula; we can recreate it ourselves. And yes, this is very important-this is called LEARNING.

It's important to understand that a program like Brainetics, which I have used, has nothing to do with this. These types of programs are SUPPLEMENTS, used to reinforce concepts, exercise the brain, and help with things like visual memory. The more ways you can look at a problem, the more likely it is that you will be able to figure it out. That's what Brainetics does, and it is a priceless addition to any education. It reinforces basic problem solving skills by teaching us how to look at things from a different angle.

Now, if you expect to be able to slap in this dvd, and have your child come out a math genius, then you are in for a sore disappointment. This program can only accentuate and build on skills a child already has. That does not, however, mean that your child needs to be a math genius to start with. In my experience with Brainetics, anyone who is struggling in math would benefit greatly by going through this program (especially if an excited parent or older sibling participates). When struggling in math, the most helpful thing a child can be shown are different ways to look at the problem-this also teaches creative problem-solving, a necessary skill in life. Have your child sit down and teach you what they just learned and you will be amazed with the results.

The most important thing I've read so far regarding this product is this, "This is fun to learn during summer and weekends." People, this is a quote from a twelve-year-old!!! In my mind, anything that gets a child to say that learning is Fun is worth ANY price.

Here is what it comes down to: Our school systems are in bad shape, our kids aren't learning. It's not time to be blaming one another, it's time to be working together for our children. Is this the fault of teachers? Parents? School systems? The answer is d)all of the above. Teachers do what they can with the resources they have, and for that they deserve our thanks. This does not mean that we should be relying on them solely. Just as Brainetics is a supplement for mathematics, parents should be a supplement to our teachers. I know we are all very busy, but we need to MAKE the time to sit down and talk to our children. Ask them what they are learning, let them teach us, GET INVOLVED to at least a small degree. And above all, try to act excited about it. If we can't show a passion for education, then why would our children???

One poster here said it best when he/she spoke of our school systems working with a one-size-fits-all approach to learning. Most of our children will never fit that mold, whether it's due to a learning disability, general disinterest, or being so far ahead in curriculum that they get bored and fall behind. Regardless, it is our responsibility to help them in whatever way we are able.

So take Brainetics for what it is, not a be-all end-all answer to math, but a learning supplement. It teaches skills that are valuable to anyone who uses it, and is well-worth the $150. It can not replace a high school education, but it most definitely is NOT detrimental as some people have posted. My entire family, including middle-school, high-school, and college-aged children have all used it, along with a computer engineer and an 87 year-old retired teacher. Every single one of us has benefited in some way from the program and I highly recommend it. Let's just keep in mind what is important here: educating our children!

I would definitely recommend trying it, but if my recommendation is not enough, then try this: Sit down with your child, explain Brainetics to them-what it does, and how it can help. If they are interested and want to try it, then there is your answer-if your child wants to learn, then let them!!!!

Help them learn!

answered by Guest | 12-17-2011 at 11:34 PM

Sick of reading the stupidity.
I just saw an infomercial for this and it looks like complete rubbish! None of it is real mathematics, none of it will help you in high school or university. I am a third year engineering student and I did very well at mathematics in high school and I am continuing to do well at the math that I do at university.

Calculating 1250^3 in your head is NOT math.
Calculating 239 x 432 in your head is NOT math.
Reciting 61/91 as a decimal to 8 decimal places is NOT math.

There are calculators for those sorts of computations!

All you really need to know are multiplication up to 12 times tables and then a few little tricks.

For example, it would be expected for a university student doing engineering to be able to do something like:.200 x 300 in their head. It's just a basic rule , multiply the first two numbers and then add in the zeros to take care of the factors of ten.

However, university mathematics students are not required to be able to do 534 x 679 in their heads.

When will people understand that being a calculator is not the same as being a math genius?

This guy with his little tricks should be ashamed of himself. He knows he is setting people for failure by giving them false confidence. The advertisement cons people into thinking that knowing that will give them a "head start" at university. He could not be more wrong! About the hardest thing you are expected to a university, without a calculator, would be something like 11 x 12 . Low two digit multiplication , never three digit multiplication (unless the numbers end in zeros).

answered by Guest | 01-01-2012 at 04:47 PM

comment