So agree with the above
What this moron is doing is teaching kids how to cheat. His method has no logic to it, and once you get to the higher levels of math, his methods no longer apply. Only in America man, I swear. That's why our educational system is constantly being laughed at, especially in California. Its because of people like Mike Byster that this country will never convert over into the metric system.

answered by Guest | 07-13-2010 at 07:33 AM

To all the PHD and Teacher Morons who think this is bad idea
To all the PHD and Teacher Morons who think this is a bad idea...

All I can say is:
Those that "Can"..."Do"...
Those that "Can't"..."Teach"...

First off, if a child can solve a problem from multiple angles, they will gain greater confidence in their problem solving skills and continually look for different ways to solve problems which will greater serve them when they get into the real world...

Second, I continually get mindless new engineers that have been brainwashed into calculating real world problems to 10 decimal places and they do not have a clue how to calculate figures in their head to get an instant ballpark figure of Loads or Ratios or whatever the problem may be...

Third, how can you be so arrogant to say that the "Old School" methods are the only ones to be taught in school. You all seem to imply that "they" will essentially become "Mentally Retarded" by taking shortcuts...

You people are so laughable....open your minds to everything....

answered by Guest | 07-15-2010 at 10:13 AM

teachers teach
Do people go to doctors only to have the doctors complain that people can't heal themselves? Are you a professional, or is this just a job? When people say that the educational system is broken, it's not the parents they're complaining about. 20-30 years ago when I was in school, my parents never looked at my homework; they never went up to the school to see what was going on. The problem that I see is that parents are too involved. They never let their kids grow up and they can't figure stuff out on their own. You do not have to be involved in every aspect of your child's life! Teachers need to teach w/out complaining about how hard their job is. I'm sick of hearing it!

answered by Guest | 07-17-2010 at 01:03 PM

leave _the children behind that cant keep up.........
I guess the only thing that has not been said is "lets leave the children behind that cant keep up and concentrate on the ones that can make it". I find it interesting that we all have no problem applying and accepting the definition of Triage used on our sick wounded and dying when it comes to life and death but when it comes to education we seem hell bent on prolonging the hope of the terminally ill for as long as possible and wasting as much money on it as possible in the process. Sure we may save one or two more but at _what cost? Putting this _"No child left behind" nonsense "behind us" will save us all in the long run by keeping the janitor and Jack in the Box managers coming, but at the same time not wasting my tax money on ADD... i mean kids that don't want to pay attention in class" (go figure) and Special needs cases. I did well in high school and had no intention of going to college because......where do i start, not enough money, too lazy, not interested, and every other thing an 18 year old that is only interested in girls, drugs and any other stupid pre-adult life excuses you can think of. I joined the military and after 8 years active duty got out and became a technician for a _solar inverter company. Yes i know that i could have been the guy _designing the _inverters out of college _making more money then i am as the guy fixing them but that is my choice and for the first time in all of my 30 years of existence i LOVE my job. I guess my big point is that trying to lower the bar so that even the genetically inadequate amongst us can crayon there names at the top of the page for an A+ is not the answer. If someone can make something out of themselves and has a desire too, they will. If they do not.....they wont. Its just that simple. The system worked great the way it was before i got there and the only reason that it becomes more imperfect in my opinion, is when we have to divert funds from teachers/classes/programs and use it to train the Un-motivated teen age wastes of flesh and the developmentally retarded of the world. Then we pretend like there going to grow up to be the next Einstein when in fact the best they will likely achieve is fast food middle management, and if i might add Loving every simple minded second of there day doing it. I am not bashing kids, teachers, parents, retards or the rest of you. I am simply stating the facts as i see them. As for the people that i know will soon be destroying me because there offended by the things that i have said all i have to say to you is..........well i guess i said enough already if you decided to let yourself be offended but i can not control your emotions for you, can i! (smile) anyway i had crap teachers in school that i couldn't name if you had a gun to my head, and i had some of the best teachers to ever grace a classroom that would teach us so many important things about subjects and life in general, that i will never forget them for as long as i live. Mr Scott, Mrs Osborn, and Mr Ogden to name the top three. I know this post really does not have anything to do with the original request for reviews on this product but after spending the better part of an hour reading through all the above responses, just to figure out for myself that this thing is a great parlor trick and supplementary _math skill at best, i felt that i deserved my 2 min on the soap box. Take care all and remember that in reality it does not matter what me or anyone else thinks. You will decide what is good for you and your family and at the end of the day you will bear the responsibility of the results of these decisions.

sincerely
one man that didn't want to become a bum........uh.... and did what he had to to not become one

PS if your wondering why all the random underscores along with the normal grammatical errors its because they have this forum set up to look for key words and phrases it seems in order to highlight and automatically link to other sites for _advertising purposes and i did not want those to be attached to my post. But after some experimentation it seems that it just randomly selects words to attach links too so this can not be helped.

answered by Guest | 07-18-2010 at 09:28 AM

When I first saw this infomercial while shuffling through channels late at night I was astonished at how these kids were able to solve these basic math problems in their heads at such a rapid pace. Almost as if they were all savants, but with a bit of research this product simply teaches short cuts to solve the problems, and not why or how the actually answer is derived.

Trust me when I say this is not what you want to do. You want your child to learn the concepts instead of cheating their way with simple short cuts. As a pre med college student and just finishing my math requirements this past year; the fundamentals I learned in high school played a pivotal role in understand the materials that were taught this year. If you start cheating your way with elementary school math, you will be completely lost with anything else you will learn in grade school, and thus in college where it really counts. Everything is built on top of each other like a ladder, and if you have a weak step anywhere your foundation will collapse.

Advice: save your $150 and spend it on a high school student tutor who charges 20 bucks an hour.

answered by Guest | 07-18-2010 at 09:33 AM

I CANNOT BELIEVE WHO IS TALKING
Oh dear I cannot believe this. (Here's a Students point of view)

I can't believe that the only people who are talking here are people that have already lived there life through school. Hear me out here. I'm 15 and i have read several remarks that all of you have made and its clear to me. The people who seem to automatically shut this down are the people with the degrees and who were/are very proficient with mathematics. As a kid in high-school myself i personally love mathematics and can understand the concepts given to me by my "teachers". But it seems to me that my teachers are only showing me the material rather than explaining it clearly and in depth. Now this program may be only multiplying and adding and what not, but its oh so much more. I'm just finishing up 10th grade taking a 11th grade course (Algebra 2). Its referred to as honors algebra 2 because i am above my level. Wanna know what i see in Algebra 2, adding and subtracting, multiplying, and dividing but on a higher standard level of learning. OH BOY! Where would we ever find things like that, that would help us in today's world. Maybe everywhere you go or everything that you do. Its mighty and well that many people can know how they achieved to there answer through the fundamentals. But you tell me, would it not be great to not only know that + not be able to use a calculator to find the exact answer. YOU PEOPLE TELL ME RIGHT NOW.. WITH ONE SMALL ERROR IN THE BUDGET/FINANCIAL DEPARTMENT OF A MILLION DOLLAR COOPERATION, COULD YOU NOT LOSE A LOT OF MONEY? Tell me this, what if you are looking dead at a contract and it could be the difference between making you a bundle or losing a bundle but oh you don't have your calculator there. Wouldn't it be outstanding to know the answer? not saying of course this applies to all scenarios. But you know what, there are times i can simply go to the store and have a bundle of items and would have to pull out my calculator so i dont over spend. For my age you cannot tell me its my education because I'm in honors algebra 2. Surely i know how i get to the answers I'm not "stupid" but you know it'd be nice if i could have simple tricks into getting these answers faster not only with knowing how that comes to be.

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN - do not regret this idea of being able to solve mathematical problems super fast. IMAGINE A GENERATION OF WHERE KIDS are Enthusiastic about learning MATH! and are both holding down the concepts of how they arrive to there answer and are solving in proficient speeds.

For the financial part of this aspect (for all those people who talk about tutors). You know when you people with PHD's and Degrees tell parents such as my mom to attend college or what not. You truly cannot understand. My mom cannot afford to send all of her kids to college you know. The USA isn't like other countries. We must pay for college and i ask you... PAY COLLEGE WITH WHAT MONEY!. My sister comes out of College with 100k worth of debt. Real cool huh? Well it's not. HOW CAN YOU EXPECT FOR KIDS DO HAVE PARENTS PAY FOR TUTORS IF OUR COUNTRY IS IN DEBT. You may criticize but the taxes that come from the parents and workers of these countries should be providing these tutors. Not all of us people coming from lower-class working families can lay back on benefits and a decent waging job. Did you know some families have to work minimum wage with no benefits? Oh i know its horrible huh? You cannot say you simply understand for all those people with degrees and well paying jobs. Now i know this may come up. "i worked hard and came from the same scenario as you". HA-HA-HA so funny. I'm working hard, I'm trying but you know sometimes it's just not enough and you can't say its an excuse. SOMETIMES YOU NEED THAT EXTRA UMPH THAT this program can give you to keep thinking of yourself as good. You may say you worked hard to get the financial status your at now but you know what I'm sure you had your type of motivation for your generation, its a NEW GENERATION.

ps: before you people shut me down and say "well then how would they afford the program", not everyone can. which is why this program not only should be offered in the curriculum (spelled wrong) of many schools of higher level grades for more rapid results and TESTS that you may not use CALCULATORS and are responsible for knowing the CORRECT answer. If that is not possible well then whats 150$ to something that may actually work if you people would give it a try and support it. For a CLEARLY LIFETIME LONG SKILL of memorization and progress and quickness.

Some of you may tell us that Parents are our 1st teachers, but that is so false. My mom cannot understand any of the algebra homework that i ever get!! TIMES HAVE CHANGED!! Technology grows equations become more involved. What we learn now in middle school might have been high school for our older parents!!

I HAVE SO MUCH MORE TO SAY AS A ACTUAL!!! KIDS VIEWPOINT IN THIS THREAD. But i will just let this go because I'm sure this will continue but to sum this up

NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME---NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD TUTORS----BOTH SKILLS ARE A GREAT THING TO HAVE AND CAN BE USED IN EVERYDAY LIFE---NOT EVERYONE DEVELOPS THE SAME AND CAN PROGRESS IN THE SAME LEARNING AS SOME OF YOU "educated elites of America"----THIS IS A NEW ERA OF NEW LEARNING NEW TECHNOLOGY AND MORE USE OF EQUATIONS AND MATH SITUATIONS (fast and instant results may come in handy for plenty of scenarios) DON'T BE SO HARD TO HATE ON SOMETHING BEFORE YOU MAY TRY IT.

I WILL BE CHECKING THIS FORUM FOR ANY RESPONSES TO ME. So much more i wanna say but I've clearly expressed some of my thought on the forum + ideas/thoughts+ program + real life.

RESPOND TO "MONCHY"

answered by Monchy | 07-19-2010 at 09:49 AM

I have a 16 year old daughter who has dysgraphia and ADHD. I have run through countless tutors and programs including the $2500 "Super Camp" (not worth it) to help her succeed in school. She has had some of the most pathetic excuses for teachers that I have ever seen. She has also had some of the best. Her first high school special ed advisor actually told me that she should not take higher math nor a foreign language. Educators often want to "dumb down" a child's curriculum because they don't want to put in the hard work to help these kinds of children. My daughter is lucky, I'm a serious pain in the @ss to teachers and force them to give my daughter the help she needs. And because of this, my daughter now gets B's in high school. She is also taking pre-calc and Latin. Some may think B's aren't worth celebrating, but for a kid with her learning disability, a B is a great accomplishment and the culmination of hard work that deserves praise.

I see nothing wrong with teaching kids short cuts in math so long as it's not your sole teaching method. Concepts and formulas are important but so is the ability to feel confident. And let's be honest, math is NOT taught the way most of us were taught. I stopped being able to help with her math homework when she was in the 5th grade. This program doesn't say it teaches math concepts, just that it gives kids the ability to do computation quickly and helps with memory & confidence. Is that any different than using the Rosetta stone to learn language than learning it in school? I can't conjugate verbs in Italian on paper but I speak the language fluently. I can, however, conjugate verbs in French as I learned in school but I am not fluent and have a quarter of the vocabulary in that language. Isn't the purpose of learning the language in school so that I can speak it and gain an appreciation of other cultures? Why is it different with mathematics? There is more than one way to learn a foreign language and isn't math itself a language? Shouldn't we, as parents, look for all methods to help our children?

I am not purchasing this yet, I have just purchased Word Smart to work on language in preparation for my daughter's SAT exam. I, too, would like to hear from others who have actually used the Brainetics system. I would caution against putting too much stock in what teachers have to say. It's an unfortunate truth that just like when gym teachers choose the best athletes to choose sides for dodge ball, so do teachers sometimes invest all of their attention on those children who already perform well within the Socratic method. Whether Brainetics works or not, as a parent, you need to be your child's best advocate and give everything a chance.

answered by Guest | 07-19-2010 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I guess the only thing that has not been said is "lets leave the children behind that cant keep up and concentrate on the ones that can make it". I find it interesting that we all have no problem applying and accepting the definition of Triage used on our sick wounded and dying when it comes to life and death but when it comes to education we seem hell bent on prolonging the hope of the terminally ill for as long as possible and wasting as much money on it as possible in the process. Sure we may save one or two more but at _what cost? Putting this _"No child left behind" nonsense "behind us" will save us all in the long run by keeping the janitor and Jack in the Box managers coming, but at the same time not wasting my tax money on ADD... i mean kids that don't want to pay attention in class" (go figure) and Special needs cases. I did well in high school and had no intention of going to college because......where do i start, not enough money, too lazy, not interested, and every other thing an 18 year old that is only interested in girls, drugs and any other stupid pre-adult life excuses you can think of. I joined the military and after 8 years active duty got out and became a technician for a _solar inverter company. Yes i know that i could have been the guy _designing the _inverters out of college _making more money then i am as the guy fixing them but that is my choice and for the first time in all of my 30 years of existence i LOVE my job. I guess my big point is that trying to lower the bar so that even the genetically inadequate amongst us can crayon there names at the top of the page for an A+ is not the answer. If someone can make something out of themselves and has a desire too, they will. If they do not.....they wont. Its just that simple. The system worked great the way it was before i got there and the only reason that it becomes more imperfect in my opinion, is when we have to divert funds from teachers/classes/programs and use it to train the Un-motivated teen age wastes of flesh and the developmentally retarded of the world. Then we pretend like there going to grow up to be the next Einstein when in fact the best they will likely achieve is fast food middle management, and if i might add Loving every simple minded second of there day doing it. I am not bashing kids, teachers, parents, retards or the rest of you. I am simply stating the facts as i see them. As for the people that i know will soon be destroying me because there offended by the things that i have said all i have to say to you is..........well i guess i said enough already if you decided to let yourself be offended but i can not control your emotions for you, can i! (smile) anyway i had crap teachers in school that i couldn't name if you had a gun to my head, and i had some of the best teachers to ever grace a classroom that would teach us so many important things about subjects and life in general, that i will never forget them for as long as i live. Mr Scott, Mrs Osborn, and Mr Ogden to name the top three. I know this post really does not have anything to do with the original request for reviews on this product but after spending the better part of an hour reading through all the above responses, just to figure out for myself that this thing is a great parlor trick and supplementary _math skill at best, i felt that i deserved my 2 min on the soap box. Take care all and remember that in reality it does not matter what me or anyone else thinks. You will decide what is good for you and your family and at the end of the day you will bear the responsibility of the results of these decisions.
You know what we'd get if we did this? The British system. Seriously. We lived in the UK for 3 years, just outside London. My daughter attended a British school from Year 1 through Year 3 (US kindergarten through 2nd grade). I began to notice that while she spoke eloquently and had a vocabulary that put most adults to shame, her schoolwork was abysmal. I spoke to her teacher about having her tested for a learning disability and was told (and I quote) "You needn't worry. Victoria is quite pretty." Yeah....you read that right. She's a beautiful girl so she doesn't need to do well in school...she'll marry well. I was floored. They invest all of their resources into the top 10%. Looking at the UK in general, how's that ideology working out for them? Not so much.

I think you're wrong in your approach, all kids have potential. Had I given up on my daughter due to her learning disability, had I not forced her schools and teachers to test her and get her the help she needed, she would not be in the JROTC at her highschool and the top female marksman on her team. She would not be looking forward to college. She would not live up to her natural intelligence.

I do agree that we should not dumb down learning to the lowest common denominator. We shouldn't give all teams a trophy for participating, instead of giving a trophy to the winning team. Competition is good for this country and we've liberalized our educational system so much that we don't teach kids to compete, in education nor in life. I've taught my daughter that no one gives a cr@p about her learning disability outside of school. No employers will care. So while it's harder for you to do things, you have to work doubly hard because you are competing with people who don't have your disability. Anything less is an insult to yourself.

answered by Guest | 07-19-2010 at 02:31 PM

Joshuasail - I know what a prime number is, but I couldn't tell you why learning it is important. And honestly, I have no answer for why learning trig, or calculus or even long division is important. Why? Because frankly, for 90% of the working population...it isn't important. I work for one of the largest engineering design firms in the world. The head of the structural department in my office is a good friend of mine. She helps with my kid's homework when we need it. She said to my kid that she just needs to suffer now, in school, because even as a structural engineer (a dominant math discipline) you have computers to do virtually all of your calculations for you.

Schools cling desperately to old methods. Think of gym class. Do you think standing around for 45 minutes until the teacher forces you to swing a bat goes towards teaching kids about healthy exercise? Wouldn't it be better to teach kids martial arts? Or how about proper gym technique so they don't hurt themselves? As adults...do we play dodgeball? No, we go to the gym to work out. But oh how they love to make kids play games that have minimal health benefits at the time and no educational benefits for the future. Class work is the same way. Why aren't we teaching kids study techniques? You are NEVER taught 'how' to study. You are never taught how to learn. The way kids are taught is so antiquated.

Prime numbers be damned.

answered by Guest | 07-19-2010 at 02:43 PM

who cares about theory...?
I am 40. Sorry but 98% of the world population uses any form of advanced math.
Plus, and sorry again, why bother. That is what calculators can do for us or just punch say a mm to inches into google and get the answer.
Saves time and thus productivity.

Math geeks are the biggest complainers about these TRICKS. Tricks- SO WHAT if they work, even for a limited number set they work. As others have pointed out most math is a short cut of formulas that simply what really is going on.

OK for SCHOOL, sure understanding how the calculator gets to that number is important to a limited point. I leave it to the other 2% to check the work of the calculator.

Look if you are not counting on your fingers YOU... ARE.... CHEATING.... USING TRICKS AND SHORT CUTS.

I know today I would love to have a few tricks up my sleeves.
Buy the DVDS for $15 and return them if they do not give you some amusement.

But really I do carpentry, have gutted my house from the ground up and hardly ever use any formulas or advanced math.

The truth is, for day to day in most people's lives we just do not need trig and higher math.
I have forgotten all I learned in high school and colleges and am only worse of if I choose not to use a calculator and put pen to paper- AND THE PROBLEM IS- if I am rusty, there is room for error/

Why risk error? I am not in school and do not need to waste time racking my brain when the answers is there. Why walk to your destination when you can drive?
I get a big kick out of those who say you must rack your brain to get an answer, that students MUST understand it.
This high and mighty attitude is "I had to suffer so have to as well" .
But I guarantee MOST in higher math jobs use calculators. Who gives a flying fig if YOU understand it so now YOU are allowed to use a calculator without the same ridicule you give your students.
Truth be told most of you guys using math in your day to day do not do all your math on paper. It is inefficient no matter if you understand it or not.

To be clear I understand that it might be good to understand the foundation of it but most will never use it or need it.

I was always told Math is less about actually being able to use it in REAL LIFE but the to teach an internal learning process and discipline of a thought process.
This is why trade schools are more productive. Tradesman only learn what they need and not waist time in college learning something that will not apply in their life.
If you will need higher math in what you want to do than by all means live it up with all the formulas. You probably see maths as joy than a struggle so it as meant to be for your.

Actually I believe that if kids have to learn math they just need better real work examples of how it would work in there lives... how it would be useful and faster than counting on their fingers or trying many ideas blindly to get to the answer to their LIFE problem. Stuff like Jimmy wants to by a video game and to pay for it has to take a part time job. How much must he make per hour if..."
Give real world examples and maybe they will see a use for it.

I say go for it and learn some quick ways to manipulate some numbers. Impress your friends.
Do not worry about the up tight teachers and math geeks who post here.
Really day to day anything you learn and do not use will disappear from your brain and most high math will not help you at 98% of your jobs.
THAT IS THE REALITY of the modern age.

Although do feel free to post cheaper alternatives.

answered by Zman | 07-20-2010 at 02:28 AM

two more points
I was thinking over my posts and the mass of posts here and one thought came to mind.

Do most people know HOW the formulas they learn, actually WORK? I do not. I was taught to "carry the one" so i did not knowing why and how that worked nor was that ever taught.
So really doing Vedic math or Brainetics is no different, no less powerful. It may be limited to numbers in a range but so what? If it works it works, it is just a different way to get to the same answer. But really I think most will go through life, if they use math at all day to day using formulas which are a cheat than counting and experimenting manually.

I wanted to follow up that math needs to follow the same path other subjects take in exciting first then explaining.

If you are enjoying it then the NEXT STEP, NOT THE FIRST STEP, is to explain why.
Science classes do this all the time. They first wow them with an experiment, they then get the explanation and then they get to try it.

Wow if math could do that... wait it can, using demonstrations which some here call tricks.

Do a search for Vedic math and you get some free videos on what I assume in in the Braineitic and it is neat and does work.

answered by Zman | 07-20-2010 at 03:36 PM

rapid calculation
I've studied rapid calculation and memory techniques for years. Here's my take on calculations:

I am not impressed with "tricks". You will quickly forget how to do the tricks if you don't practice.

There are "methods" which can be applied generally. These you retain much better, because you do the same thing every time you multiply. You aren't trying to remember the specific trick for a number ending in "5", etc.

The book I'd recommend the most is "Speed Mathematics: Secret Skills for Quick Calculation" by Bill Handley. I like the book so much, after getting a Kindle, I bought the Kindle edition of the book even though I had the paperback.

Some of the "tricks" on the infomercial look like special cases of methods Handley explains.

Solinas

answered by Solinas | 07-20-2010 at 05:05 PM

Finger Pointer.....
Quote:
-----------
Sad how you're a teacher but yet you don't know how to properly use your vs. you're. Also, it's impossible to give 200%. Please, YOU'RE a fraud...Sincerely YOURS, Concerned Parent
Ok #7 you are mocking the teacher and basically calling her dumb but you cant do 5th grade math and expect the teacher to spend the extra time with YOUR KID! Then you mock the teacher for using 200%. Its a figure of speech which means that you expect the teacher to spend the extra time with your kid. Try being a parent, get off your high horse and quit blaming everyone else. ITS YOUR KID! Maybe you should learn some fifth grade math and be an INVOLVED parent. Stop pointing your finger, look in the mirror and grow up! Waaaaaaa! Waaaaa!

answered by Guest | 07-24-2010 at 10:37 AM

Responding to post 100. I'm just curious. Do you have children of your own?

answered by Guest | 07-27-2010 at 08:46 PM

RN
I just saw the infomercial for the first time. My kids are basically grown, but I saw, in the commercial, some of the techniques that my husband uses when doing calculations. He was taught that way in private Lutheran grade schools as a child.
My husband is excellent in all kinds of math, and from my observation, there is no problem with a child learning this method, and integrating that with math concepts.
I believe that learning, sometimes by memorization, has it's value, a value currently ignored. Students used to memorize poetry---that had it's value both in appreciation and forming pathways for the brain to integrate other knowledge. My impression is that this product uses the benefits of memorization and application, something all children can benefit from.
The question I have is, would it help my 'older' brain. I might try it!

answered by Milwaukee Mother | 07-28-2010 at 10:30 AM

Mad Max
Well, my goodness, if this program teaches number sense and improves the user's memory, where is the harm in that? Even if all it does is promote a feeling of confidence in the user when facing a math problem or a math class, that is a very good thing. Fear of math probably has more to do with a child's not learning than does lack of natural ability for the subject.

I'm buying Brainetics, and, should it fail to work, will return it. I will also return to post my findings.

answered by domsmom3@yahoo.com | 07-29-2010 at 10:15 AM

EVERYBODY TEACH
Brainetics only work, if you work it. It's true that your child has to have the basics down before they could do something this advance, but they could still do it. Parents don't blame teachers when all through the school year, your child isn't living up to par in class. teachers don't blame parents because they are not helping their children, with homework. The truth of the matter is that a lot of the parents didn't get their own education and become upset when a teacher point that out to them about their children because it is a reflection on them. Parents volunteer in your child's class at least once a week to see what they are being taught so you could help that child learn what needs to taught to them at an early age. Help that teacher help you with your child and there will be no repeats of any grades. Teach your child that education is important and it will help them out in the long run.parents when the summer breaks come, don't let your child go the whole summer without having them do some type of math homework. I had my children learn multiplication last summer so when they went back to school, they wouldn't be lost,and it worked. They stayed on the a&b honor roll all year. They were in the 3rd and 5th grades. Now they are headed to the 4th & 6th grades, and of course I have them doing the brainetics. Teachers, send notes home with that child to explain their homework to the parent that wants help in teaching their child to learn. teaching your child can be accomplished, we just have to do it together with no blame.

answered by Guest | 07-29-2010 at 05:10 PM

Learning
Everyone learns differently. Plain and simple. This program may be good for some and not for others. Just like some people need visual stimulation to learn, others need to participate in the action to learn/understand it.
If you really are interested in the product, buy it, share it and see how it works for you and those around you.

Seriously, find out for yourselves.

M.

answered by Guest | 07-30-2010 at 03:57 PM

Idiots
Giving an opinion prior to trying something shows you to be a *******. This post is 99% dumbasses. I would bet that 98.9% of you are democrats.

Please, in the same amount of time it took to write your post, kill yourselves.

answered by Chris B | 07-31-2010 at 12:24 AM

highschooler?
I'm going to the 10th grade. i understand most of the mechanics behind certain types of math processes. however i suck at math and i need something or I'm gonna fail this year. DOES THIS PRODUCT WORK??

answered by Guest | 08-02-2010 at 10:28 PM

Math is Fun
Let's face it, math, unless it's your forte, is boring! This program isn't just about leaning tricks, it's about having fun (omg) something most teachers seem to be against.

answered by Guest | 08-05-2010 at 01:35 PM

SO DOES IT WORK?
Lots of people posted....but its exhausting reading through all these posts of people who haven't even used the product. Read a few that actually used it....I think tricks are great I could use a few up my sleeve! I am attending college presently and have a few math course requirements that I would love to have an extra hand in. Math is a hard subject and usually kinda boring (well at least to me). My nephew, who is 11yrs old, watched the infomercial with me and both of us thought it looked pretty cool. He wants the system and he hates school!! I like to know how to do the steps when I work out problems but I think being able to do a few of the problems quicker and with fewer steps would save a ton of time! I thought the little trick for how to multiply numbers in the 90's was pretty handy! I can't wait to show my husband that one!! He is always having to measure and multiply on the job (construction). Being able to do more in the head is great ---saves trees!!! Less paper and pencils being used!! HAHA! Thank you to those who used the product and posted! I am getting this product ----for $14.95....30 day trial I am sure to learn a few new tricks!!! Then I can share my system with all my nieces and nephews and my daughter (when she is old enough). And to those who freak out about a few shortcuts. All children are required to attend school or home school....so they are going to learn the basics too! This is just a little extra----to make it FUN! Nothing wrong with learning being fun!!

answered by Guest | 08-05-2010 at 02:45 PM

Math Geek Here
Responding to post #110 by Zman - I'm one of those Math Geeks you speak of. Always at the top of the class in math and sciences. I happen to love the idea of tricks and shortcuts. I taught my son the finger trick for multiplying 9's (use it myself, though I don't need my fingers anymore). So don't lump us all in one boat. I haven't purchased Brainetics...yet. I am considering it, but a previous poster (sorry lost which one it was) mentioned a youtube channel for glad2teach, and I watched a couple of his videos. They look similar to what the Brainetics program teaches, though I can't say for sure, and I'm going to go through them with my son before he goes into high school in a couple weeks.

Yes, I do believe knowing how or why you get to a number is important, and unlike your teachers, mine did teach me why I was carrying over a 1 (or whatever it was). I have a deep understanding of why and how nearly all of the math I do works. And yes, I do use math in my everyday life. You probably do to, but it's not something you recognize because it's automatic and you don't have to think about it.

Knowing that, to all the skeptics of this program or shortcuts in general, what's the problem? When you are out of school and in the real world, are you going to stop when you have to figure out a tip for a dinner out, and work it out the long way? No, why would you? I've never seen someone pull out a notebook and work out the exact tip, it's either a calculator or some trick to get a close enough number to the percentage you want (like doubling the tax, depending on your tax rate of course). That's just another trick. So if teaching our kids how to do things faster yet still accurate works, then I see nothing wrong with it, from the point of view of a Math Geek, and a parent who believes in the value of education.

answered by Guest | 08-06-2010 at 10:42 AM

Thank you for a thorough review on math in USA
Quote:
If you want your child to grow you need to lead them first. And as I mentioned today you have more resources on your finger tips than ever before.

BTW I came to this thread because I was researching Brainetics because it reminded me about Scientology.
Just want to say thank you for the examples. And for a very sensible review on what is behind math in USA. I am an Asian parent who thinks that the job of a teacher is as painful and frustrating as a parent. And math is as interesting as our attitude is towards it.

answered by Guest | 08-06-2010 at 12:32 PM

Okay, just saw the infomercial, it's new here in NZ. I'm 62yrs old and was never much good at math at school - in fact I learned more about math in the 2 years after leaving school than I did while I was there- and we apparently had a 'good' system over here. Anyway, I thought the system looked good, but what does it actually do? Does it just sharpen what we called in my day 'metal arithmetic,' skills or does it help with other deeper math problems? Most of the kids in my class could cope with mental arithmetic, in fact I was one of the fastest, but other math calculations were quite frankly beyond me. It is about understanding those formula's at the very beginning. If you miss out on that and a lot of kids do, then you will struggle forever. There is a deeper issue here. The 20/20 program stated that they usually receive around 60 emails following the screening of a program, after Brainetics, they received 50,000!! This is the real problem isn't it? So many parents and children with a lack of understanding of math? It has been this way since Adam was a baby and it looks as if it hasn't changed one iota. This is the real problem, parents, schools, politicians etc. etc. etc. should be delving into why this is a continuing problem, why things are getting worse, not better and how to address it? Not relying on television or software to come up with an answer. If it actually works and I have seen no evidence of it working or not working, then the powers that be should be picking up on it and putting some real effort into finding out if it is really beneficial for the long term math assistance of our kids. The creator has apparently visited some schools - how did that happen? Did the Boards of Trustees do any digging into the background of this program? If schools had to bring this program to the school, then obviously the age old teaching of mathematics is not working, for anyone. To bring it to a school without really looking into the validity of its success beyond its quirky fun aspects or help with mental arithmetic, is...well...you know what it is.

answered by Guest | 08-06-2010 at 11:11 PM

Old-School Arithmetic
Did anyone else notice that guest #26, while sounding quite brilliant and self-assured from a theory standpoint, made an arithmetic mistake common among fourth graders? The calculation: 360,000-144=350,956. But it doesn't. Guest #26 subtracted the 44, but not the 100. The correct answer is 350,856. This underscores the point that math success requires both understanding and accurate computation. Brainetics aside, I suggest using pencil and paper, a calculator, or more deliberate "mental math."

answered by Guest | 08-07-2010 at 11:08 AM

Oh So True!
Someone submitted the thought that if we need math in our daily lives, we will learn it. That's true. I was a bartender through college and beyond until I got a teaching job. As a schoolboy, I was competent at "simple arithmetic." Suppose I was given the following story problem: "Mr Smith buys three gizmos for $1.75. How much did he spend?" I probably would have solved that problem in school by setting up an addition problem with three addends of $1.75 and working it out on paper... A) add the hundredths column (15), put down 5, carry 1; B) add, the tenths column, include the carried 1 (22), put down 2,carry 2; C) add the ones column, include carried 2, put down 5; D) make sure to put the decimal properly into the sum; E) make sure to include the dollar sign in my answer: $5.25. That's a lot of steps. Behind the bar at a busy restaurant, speed was crucial. I quickly figured out that $1.75 was $0.25 less than $2.00, so $2.00x3=$6.00. Then I would subtract the three quarters: $5.25. No paper. No pencil. I played similar numbers games in my head during my drives to and from work. I became both fast and accurate at totaling bills. The saved time translated into serving more drinks, more revenue for the boss, more tips for me, happier customers. So, yes, if we need math we sink or swim. I was able to "swim" because I learned the basics in school and was able to apply them as needed later on. Would Brainetics have helped me as a school boy? Perhaps. Would Brainetics have helped me in my bartending jobs? Again, perhaps. What's for sure is that knowing the basics helped tons!

answered by Guest | 08-07-2010 at 01:02 PM

Still skeptical
I came across the infomercial. Tried some of the demo calculations. Then tried changing those demo calcs ever so slightly. The concept fell apart pretty quickly. I'll have to agree with the teacher that stated the kids need to learn the "concepts".

In addition, I checked the website to see if they offered additional samples. I was shocked to see that they now want $149 +S/H for the former $99 product. I guess the 50k emails and 400k+ web hits prompted a little additional greed. Seems they ARE more driven by the DOLLAR rather than "creating a passion for learning math". Greed.

I imagine it is only a matter of time before they will be selling it for $19.99 in the As Seen on TV store.

answered by Guest | 08-07-2010 at 01:12 PM

Answer to your questions
I have not personally used the brainetics process; however, all the basic skills taught in this packet come from an ancient form of mathematics known as "VEDIC MATHEMATHICS". If you are interested in buying this packet, you should do some research into Vedic Math...

A short example for multiplying a number such as 24x20, what you would do is take the first digit (tens digit) from each of the numbers and multiply them together to get the first number, then you take the tens digit from the first number and multiply it to the ones digit on the second number; then you multiply the ones digit from the first number to the tens digit of the second and add the two multiplied numbers together to get the second number to your answer. Finally, you multiply the last digit (ones digit) from both numbers together to get your first number.

Ex: 24x20

Step 1: 2x2 = 4
Step 2: 2x0 + 4x2 = 8
Step 3: 4x0 = 0

Therefore, 24x20 = 480

Furthermore, if you have a problem like 36x40 you get:

1: 3x4 = 12
2: 3x0 + 6x4 = 24
3: 6x0 = 0

(now notice you have 2 digits now for the first and second step and obviously your answer ISN'T 12,240) So what is it...

Well, you take the numbers you got 12, 24, and 0 and you add together the numbers that are between the numbers since those numbers are above the number 10.

So, in conclusion you have 12 24 0, which the answer turns out to be 1440.

One more quick math technique is multiplying any number by 11:

- to do this you simply write down the first digit of the number that isn't 11...this is your first number
- Next, you add up the tens and ones digit together to get your second number
- Last, you write down the second digit of the number that isn't 11.

Ex: 11x28 = 2 10 8

Now, as I showed you before you move over any numbers that are 10 or above.

Therefore, your answer becomes 309.

There are many tricks like this out there and I'm fairly positive that brainetics uses these techniques...so if you wanna save money, just read a book over vedic mathematics or a book known as "Math Magic"

answered by Guest | 08-08-2010 at 09:53 PM

are you kidding me?
Quote:
-----------
Sad how you're a teacher but yet you don't know how to properly use your vs. you're. Also, it's impossible to give 200%. Please, YOU'RE a fraud...Sincerely YOURS, Concerned Parent
please get a life.

answered by Guest | 08-09-2010 at 05:11 AM

Quote:
-----------
If you give a 100 %, I can give 200%, and it was a metaphor, so don't be a smartass. I am a teacher, a tutor and a mother, and I know (as we all do) that everyone have limits, and some of us will not be Einsteins, no matter what brainetics we study. All we can do is our best.

answered by Guest | 08-09-2010 at 06:34 AM

Too much bickering and not enough focus on the topic. The majority of you fall under either of these views: Kids need to learn the foundations or There's no harm in kids calculating faster. Now its obvious that whoever uses this product will HAVE to know the foundations of math! How can you learn to calculate without adding or subtracting? Yes as you get older and go onto more advanced math, parlour tricks will be less effective, but.. as you go up through grade school, you are taught all those advanced math subjects and how to understand them! Just because you use a product like this, does not mean you are unable to also learn advanced math. It's like your all saying human beings are only able to learn ONE way! There's been no proof that this product is detrimental. And to be honest, all you PHD and what have you critics sound more jealous than anything. I believe anything that can help someone calculate and retain information faster will more likely compliment ones learning ability, rather than harm it. Foundation is important but so is efficiency.. and yes even children are able to learn both!! I think you critics need to give people a bit more credit. Who are you to tell someone that just because they are learning shortcut techniques, that they are then unable to grasp other concepts? We are constantly being taught new and old concepts all the time, there's no reason we can't learn in more than one way.

answered by Guest | 08-09-2010 at 11:17 PM

Best place to buy
I found the best place to buy Brainetics is QVC. Their price was cheaper than the Brainetics website.

answered by Guest | 08-10-2010 at 12:04 AM

Dislexia
Does anyone know if this will help a child with dyslexia? Thank you

answered by Guest | 08-10-2010 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if this will help a child with dyslexia? Thank you
I am actually thinking of buying this for my kids, one has dyslexia. A big part of her problem is math anxiety and another is getting lost in the steps. I think this could help her and as others have pointed out, we spent over $400 on the Wii and games, so $150 for my children's education doesn't seem out of line.

Thank you to the people who actually tried the product.

The main objection seems to be that this system isn't enough for total math instruction. However, no where is this man claiming that his system would replace the existing math curriculum. It is a SUPPLEMENT. What is so hard to understand about that? All children do not learn in the same way and math struggles are so common that the tried and true methods aren't really working for a lot of children. If this program helps kids overcome anxiety, get excited about math and move through problems faster, it seems well worth the money. As others have said, standardized testing is timed and the results are important for kids and schools. If they can get faster and more correct answers, why not? It is NOT replacing basic math instruction, nor is this the claim.

On the teacher/parent debate, I'm both a mother and a teacher. There are crappy, lazy teachers and crappy, lazy parents. Each blames the other.

answered by Guest | 08-11-2010 at 02:26 PM

"Child Please"
Quote:
There are several post here about teachers needing to step up and do more. I for one spend at least 20 hours a week tutoring in my child's school and see how much effort the teachers put in. For post #7 if your child is needing extra help, ask for a tutor if she already has one ask that your child be tested for a disability. I as a parent am also a full time college student and even then I help my daughter every day with math. Even when she says she has no homework, we work on something.

It has to be fun for them too. She bakes while I cook so she is constantly measuring and converting how much a cup of milk is to ounces etc. We are our children's defenders and so WE not the teachers must do what we need to for our children.

If you have no idea how to help your child through 5th grade work then go in and ask the teacher for help yourself. They most times are gracious in helping you work through those problems.

I have yet to meet a teacher who is not willing to help a child. Good luck to you.
I can understand where post #7 is coming from I too have the same problem with my child who is in high school. She has always struggled with math and I'm not good with it either...I go into her school and sit down with her and her teachers to see what can be done.
I agree that a lot of the teachers act as if they don't have the time or the patients to spend with her. It makes me angry when I think we are on the same page and my daughter says how her teacher gets smart with her when she ask for extra help.
She goes to a tutor and has been tested, but according to her counselor she is very bright and does have a weakness in math. Therefore, the answer was that she be given extra time to take test or see her teacher before or after class...which is not realistic when she rides a school bus. Question… why is this the only alternative? Why haven't the schools introduced the Brainetics to their students if the program will help them with math? I never heard of it until I saw the infomercial.

answered by Guest | 08-12-2010 at 04:10 AM

This product looks like it helps with the basic four operations of mathematics, but not the application of those operations.

Ex: you can learn quick tricks to solve long multiplication (356 x 172= 61232), but what would happen if that same question was worded differently (356b=61232). You would have to work it out the long way, instead of finding the quickest way to answer.

This product may not master all sections of math, but it sounds like it builds confidence in order to tackle mathematical questions. Unfortunately, this product is teaching kids that their is always an easy route to solving problems. Which we all know doesn't exist

answered by Guest | 08-12-2010 at 06:19 AM

Quote:
Plain and Simple - The Answer isn't Everything. They teach that in school all the time in all subjects. That's why teachers make their students "Show Their Work".

Brainetics is about just getting the answer.

Also, to those of you asking for someone to try and the product and post their results. Every single post of someone who tried it will be that their child succeeded, because that's what it appears like initially. No one will truly see the effects of this product for several years, when these kids get to high school. Then we will all see that Brainetics is not the solution. It just like studying the long term effects of a new medication. We cant do it, because it hasn't existed long enough to study its long term effects. But, the foundation on which Brainetics is based is not conclusive for effective for the development of mathematical and critical thinking skills.

If you want your child to do better in math or school in general, turn off the TV, turn off the video games, sit down with your child and help them. Even if you aren't a math genius, you can help an elementary school child with their math homework. And if you don't understand it, find someone who does, like a tutor. Stop blaming the teacher, stop going for the "quick and easy fix", and do it yourself. Be proactive and legitimately help your child succeed.

Hard work is the solution, not Brainetics.

Ok, I understand what you are saying to a point. My problem with this statement is that my son is going into the 7th grade and guess what, he doesn't know multiplication. We have worked with him for a long time, had people tutor him, you name it we have done it. The problem with schools now is that they just hand the kids calculators and tell them that they do not need to memorize anything, just push buttons. I complained to the school enough that they are now changing their way of teaching math. The children will have to know their multiplication facts by the time they leave 3rd grade beginning this year. I think this is great, but it doesn't help the older kids at all. My son failed 2 classes this past year and they passed him anyway. He overheard the teacher talking and she said that she didn't want him back next year. He is ADHD, but he did a lot better this past year. I tried to get them to hold him back, but they refused. I even when to the state boe with no results. I was told that I need to wait and see how he does next year and if he starts failing then they will do something about it! I home-schooled him one year and when he went back to public school, he was at the top of his class, now he towards the middle. But you say we need to stop blaming the teachers, so who do we blame in this situation? I am not the only one with these problems and it gets so frustrating when we have to spend all summer teaching our kids what they should have learned in school the previous year. I guess I could just let him fail and not worry about it, but I am not like that. I quit college and work so that I could stay at home and teach him. So, since you think you are so smart, what else can I do?

answered by Guest | 08-12-2010 at 12:32 PM

Concerned Citizen
Quote:
-----------
This is the problem with today's society. People like you always putting down teachers when the reality is America's parents aren't being parents. Teachers don't get into education because they want to get rich. They do it because most of them really like working with kids. Get a clue! Too many parents want to be their friends because that is much easier that fighting with them after working a 12 hour day. Being a middle school special education teacher of 16 years myself, I have had numerous parents confess that they want to be better parents at home, but they are so tired and don't have the energy to put down their foot their teenage kid who is pushing for their independence. The challenge we as teachers have in a public schools is that we spend more time dealing with behavioral and emotional problems of kids than teaching concepts they need to know. Without the emotional stability, which is normally a breakdown somewhere in the family, no kid is going to come to school focused on learning. They have no discipline at home, very poor manners, and little respect and common courtesy for anyone else. This is a result of poor role models which are often parents who didn't like school and are negative towards it. They are just repeating the cycle. Often learning disabilities are genetic. If you are one of these parents, you should being helping them break the cycle in their negative attitude about learning for life. Many kids are learning their morals from the TV because of a lack of parent involvement. Hate to go parent bashing here, but the truth hurts. Ask any veteran teacher how many problems they have with kids who have parents who are involved with their child's learning and positive about a free education that is provided for them. They probably could count them on their hands. I know this will never happen, but I would love to see the government put the same pressure and stipulations on parents and communities as they do schools to perform. They just keep adding to our plates to get test scores up. Teachers and schools aren't the problem. If they came to school to learn and wanted to learn they would learn. Period! Until that day, our country will continue to get farther behind because we just want to keep pointing the finger at the teachers instead of taking a look in the mirror at what you are doing as a parent. Develop their self esteem and confidence and they will be successful. As far as the Brainetics strategies, I agree that they are cool tricks that can be used as supplements for a base curriculum. Not as the only curriculum. Whatever works is the best policy here. As for all you negative people about our education system, just shut up if you don't have anything positive to say. Don't criticize unless you have a solution. One last thing. Teachers are usually good at teaching one subject well. They are not masters of all that many of you seem to think we are. We specialize in a specific area for a reason. Again, this is your ignorance and rudeness. I'm sure you have made a spelling error before. Maybe you should be more concerned about your attitude error.

answered by Guest | 08-13-2010 at 01:01 PM

No Child Left Behind
Quote:
It is easy for people to say that you need to understand how to work through the problem but, what about the children who struggle really badly in math and just have a hard time understanding the steps. You also have the issues of teachers these days who don't take the time to try different methods with the children who are struggling and then they end up failing or the parents end up forking out the money to get the extra help that the child needs. What happened to the Motto no child left behind? I feel like this Brainetics is hope for those children. I have a child who has never gotten anything higher than a D in math and no one seems to want to help her. I have asked the school several times to put her in a help class that assists them with the help that she needs to understand it but, it just seems to do nothing. My child is in the 5th grade and she has been struggling with math since she started math in first grade. I feel like they are stressing these children out with all the pressure in school and don't allow them to be kids. I think this also has a lot to do with the whole ADHD epidemic. No one has time, patience for these children anymore. All the teachers say is more money or you need to pay for your Child's education in order for them to get a higher learning education. Just like the homework thing why do these children come home with tons of homework, what are they doing in class? I did not go to school to become a teacher how am I supposed to help my child if I don't understand how to explain in detail how a problem works? Isn’t this what the teacher gets paid to do? Why does my child get told that they ask too many questions? Is this not what teachers go to college for? You should never tell a child they ask too many questions this is a discouragement for child to hear that.
School is stressful these days because of how our society demands them to work harder to keep up. Also too much weight is being put on state tests. Kids in public schools are being held to a higher standard than most if not all universities in the country. Most college classes only allow the end of course exam to be worth %40 of their grade, yet in high school, they either pass the exam or they don't get credit despite their "B" average in the class. Times have changed and they must adapt. If you don't learn this and teach this to your kids, it will break you! Don't generalize to all teachers that we discourage questions. That is a bunch of bull and you know it. You are putting a bad experience you had with a teacher and generalizing it to all. Focus on THOSE teachers, not all of us. No Child Left Behind is just another way the government puts the responsibility on the schools and not the parents. The kids that are being left behind are the ones with poor home environments that do not promote positive thinking, strong moral values, tolerance, and common courtesy. Without these, not much learning is going to take place in school. It takes a community to raise a child. Break the cycle of negative thinking towards teachers and be part of the solution.

answered by Guest | 08-13-2010 at 01:16 PM

Brainetics
Every time some one tries to better or create a new way, there comes the critics trying to shun it or find a way to say, "No this doesn't work." You see all the people hoping and searching for the flaws.

I think he is doing an excellent job. At least he's doing something about it. The kids try theses methods and this will initiate them to want to learn more about math and YES eventually the real steps to bigger problems. This is just the beginning for them.

P.S I'm 17 and I think its fun and encouraging to see math in a new way. I have my pencil and paper smiling as I find out how to do theses problems.

Thanks

answered by Guest | 08-14-2010 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuasail View Post
My PhD is from the University of Florida and my cognate is Learning Theory and mathematics. Think about it--how useful is it in 2010 to be able to add and multiple complex numbers in your head? Exactly what does this teach young people other than to engage in the parlor tricks that themselves are 300 years old. We have children getting excited about deriving answers while not learning anything about the deeper structure of mathematics.

For parents-- what is a prime number?
For parents-- why is learning what a prime number important?

For parents-- if you child ask you why learning algebra, trigonometry, and calculus was important -- what would you say.

For parents-- grow up and start to think.
Um... I have 5 children, all under 12. The program doesn't require you to not learn basic math. I work in a business and run a major section of it with several departments. One certainty is that I have yet to use a prime number in the 15 years experience in my field. I don't have a PhD, but I don't need to show people how much I know. I need to accomplish my tasks. Another certainty is that those with PhDs think we "little" people even care. Well, doctor, I don't.

Math is full of "tricks". When did adding to the book of tricks become a crime?

answered by Puhiu | 08-17-2010 at 10:43 PM

For those complaining...have you noticed..most cashiers under the age of 40 can not and will not count change back. These kids are supposedly high school or recent grads. and they can not count back simple change, yet people are all up about them being able to "show their work". Lets let them learn how to count back change before we worry about anything else. College kids even have that same problem.."your change is 14.96 and they throw a wad of cash in your hand falling all over. Whatever happened to...4 cents makes $15, and $5 more makes $20...have a good day. Come on lets quit worrying how brainetics works and go back to the basics that Brainetics can show them. Plus it also has a memorization program..know all the presidents names? State capitals? states? Brainetics teaches to memorize anything and anywhere...that alone would be a great thing for any student any age. I did a lot of research on this product and it looks to be an awesome program. TV show 20/20 featured it, Readers Digest calls it Best in Class and the parents Choice foundation awarded Brainetics a gold medal for how innovative it is. I vote for the program.

answered by Guest | 08-22-2010 at 12:46 AM

OK lets get it going here. First, I would like to say that Brainetics does give you a fast solution to math problems and yes schools for the most part require that you show your work. So what people. Obviously from those of you that can not write English to the PHd's in the house, are we really addressing what is happening with this system. NO you are not.

One, the basics and understanding of math must have already been acquired prior to using these parlor tricks.

Second, even if you have to show your work it gives children and adults the chance to double check their work by using another method.

Third, why are most of you stuck in a learning box, the same learning box that is pushing our children further and further into this void of formed thinking. There are many ways to learn, all which enhance the mind and help teach critical thinking. Our PHd seems to think that and based on his or her statements, about the way our current development in technology is applied, that there is no reason for this type of program. SO, there is no need, well maybe not for your perception, but anything that teaches critical thinking is a plus for todays society and far over reaches the need for more technology. We think we are so smart but our reliance on technology to create solutions for us is developing a dependency, a sort of reliance based on mechanisms that may or may not be with us forever.

Finally, I ask if many teacher and educators are happy with the program, and parents and children alike are redicovering or reinventing learning that is boosting confidence and the thinking abilities in our youth, why are so many of you berating what a program can do. Maybe and have you ever thought the way things are being taught are drawn out to a point where its a detriment to childrens learning? ONCE AGAIN let me re-emphasize as a 40 year old man, that I have been going over the basics of this program and WITHOUT THE BASIC MATH SKILLS AND ABILITIES A CHILD WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO COMPLETE THESE "PARLOR TRICKS". It is time we wake up as a Country...our hope is not technology that is rendering our youth to be dependent on a machine, our hope is to bring them back into the realm of critical thinking, of questioning the norm and bringing solutions that are not so drawn out in step upon step, as to hinder the process of positive progress (notice I did not say technological progress)

Here is a final example. Your child goes through a school where each step is learned A+B+C+D= whatever then move to step two, then to step three of the process and that is the way it is, you follow the process no deviation or common sense. Now put this future adult on your job sight, or in any critical station in life. Without anymore being said....now you do the math.

It is a good product I am enjoying it and ONE AGAIN WITHOUT KNOWING REQUIRED MATH KNOWLEDGE YOU CANNOT EVEN USE THE SYSTEM TO ACCOMPLISH THE MATH ( Large letters used as an emphasis for those of you who do not pay attention, and continue to revert to "The steps method" School is one thin life is another, get through school but prepare for life.

Thank you.

answered by Guest | 08-22-2010 at 12:47 AM

Brainetics is quickhand Math, old as the hills.
Back in the 1960s, homeroom elementary teachers taught longhand math (what is taught in schools today) and science teachers would teach quickhand math (aka shortcut/science math). Saw Brainetics tv ad this morning - me and spouse both said 'first time I've seen it in years'. We immediately recognized good ol' quickhand math, or science math. Remember Dad scribbling tax calc's and mom scribbling grocery and fabric yardage in the newspaper margins using quickmath? Same thing. In fact googlebooks has plenty of 1600's-1900's public domain science-history-math text books of elementary school instruction that include quickmath/science math (Full View too). Not a scam, not over-rated, not 'new' math, not cheater's math. We were surprised at the shock-and-awe web reviews. They speculate, are ranting, frantic, suspicious, self-proclaimed non-users, hence nay-sayers. Quickmath is old as dirt itself. An outcry over Brainetics' (one) BBB F-no reply rate is also humorous. The much-hyped issue is a nonreply, since BBB narrow codes don't have a N/A choice. BBB's edu industry/product no-review policy is clearly stated (on Brainetics' and all other BBB page).

Anyway, anyone who knows math or uses it in their career would recognize Brainetics as good old fashioned scientific-math, just relabeled. But parents who prefer dumping a hundred dollars in the newest, most up-to-date, moderne, nouveau methods may not know better than to download a vintage googlebooks math text, or spend 5 to 10 bucks for a vintage school math book on amazon, ebay, or abebooks that'd teach the same thing. I personally miss the fun days of addiators, addometers, sliderules. It'd be terrific if schools would reintroduce science math. In other countries, both are taught. It is very fun to know both ways - and nice getting math done in one-third the time.

answered by Guest | 08-22-2010 at 01:37 AM

your vs you're
Quote:
-----------
YOU'RE (or you are) trying to put someone down for misuse of a word when YOU'RE the one misusing the word. YOUR is possessive, YOU'RE is a contraction which combines the words YOU and ARE. The teacher whom YOU'RE trying to "correct" is very much correct in the proper use of the words. If people like you, who obviously have VERY LITTLE education would keep their ill informed opinions to them selves then things in this world would me a lot better.

answered by Guest | 08-27-2010 at 12:00 PM

Really, you are a teacher?
Quote:
Regarding quote 7-Your part of the problem. FIrst of all, you don't need a college degree to help your child with math. Secondly, your child see's how your dealing with this problem, blaming the teacher. When you quit putting all of the responsibilbity on the teacher, perhaps your child will start stepping up to the plate. As a teacher myself, I'm tired of giving 200% and helping my students in every way that I can, going above and beyond, and yet am left to blame when a student doesn't perform. I use many strategies and this brainetics sounds like a nice supplement. A supplement is what it is. It doesn't replace working through concepts. That would be like having students memorize their math facts without teaching them the concepts. I teach concepts but it's also important for the students to be quick and efficient with their math facts for higher level learning to take place. Teaching them little tricks is very helpful. You can pay for Brainetics where some tricks are laid out or you can google math strategies, or mental math tricks etc. and come up with your own for free. Either way, it's worth your child's investment. Please, learn to work WITH your child's teacher, for your child's sake.
Seriously, before you post, check your work. There are two grammar/spelling errors in the first 3 sentences. I have not used Brainetics, but am checking it out. I am glad to see that you agree that teaching children some shortcuts is helpful. I have to agree with the posts in here that it is not meant to replace learning, but rather is to be used to enhance learning. Students do need to know how a problem works, as the post explaining that 25X25 is merely 25 added together 25 times indicates. However, once we know how they are supposed to work, we all use short cuts. For instance, who among us doesn't use the fact that 10 times any number is that number with a zero added to it? Do we actually write it down and do the math, or just accept that that is always the answer? We don't even realize we do it. My favorite is that anytime you multiply anything by 9, the digits of the answer add up to 9. Check it out. 9x9 is 81. 8+1 is, in fact, 9. Now, try it again. 3X9 is 27. Two plus seven does equal 9. I have taught this to my kids to check their work.

My son struggles with math and is ADHD. He knows the process of how to do the problems, but has trouble with trivialities, like memorizing tables or working through a problem step by step and showing the work. If he can use the techniques to get past things that take up so much of his time, he would do much better. I always explain to him why a problem works, and he gets its, but still seems overwhelmed by the amount of work needed to do the problems. With some tricks and shortcuts, he would finish faster and would enjoy it more. He would gain confidence in his abilities and feel proud of what he can do. How is that bad?

I, for one, am giving this program a chance. I, too, have found that you can get it cheaper from some other places, and I am sure eBay has it available, too. I will try to post again once I have given it a whirl.

Mischelle
mother of 4

answered by Guest | 08-28-2010 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
I'm just putting it out there but if you learn how to do fast math you can virtually do all math problems in a snap....for instance finding the circumference of a circle you take the diameter of the circle times pi (3.14) so that is just about going to get a 2nd grader into the higher math class!
Completely false! The kids in the infomercial are simply learning tricks to pick apart the numbers in the equation, and not why these methods works, which is why this product does not work the way people and parents see it to work. Being able to say an answer faster and like a computer does not make a kid smart. Are computers smart? No!!! Of course not!!! The problem with this product is that it STRICTLY teaches kids to learn inside the box, and not outside of it and use their brain for more that just blurting out an answer.

This article in the link supports all of the above information

http://www.nowpublic.com/health/brainetics-scam

answered by Guest | 08-30-2010 at 12:54 PM

how
is this method really useful to students or .....just acting

answered by Guest | 08-31-2010 at 06:10 PM

I ordered it today
The group of students that I teach are on their last leg. I have a group of middle school students that are ALL in danger of failing out of school completely. Most of my students are waiting for their sixteenth birthday so they can drop out. I ordered it because this is a last effort kind of situation. If they can see that they are successful in SOME area, then maybe that will entice them to stay in school.

answered by Guest | 09-01-2010 at 02:56 PM

I was going to purchase Brainetics, but was afraid I'd have this uncontrollable urge to "high-five" anyone around me every time I answered a math question...

answered by Guest | 09-02-2010 at 12:12 PM

Not scam, but not mathematics either
Just look at how the kids answer these problems on the commercial: left to right.

They offer the answers from the most significant digit to the least significant. This not how actual computations are performed, it's how recitation is done. When performing multiple-digit calculations, any basic function (including exponents) are done by using the right-most digits, then working leftward. Only upon reciting a number is one able to offer an answer in which all numbers are recited left to right. This alone should be a gigantic tip off to parents and educators alike that this in no way improves a student's understanding of mathematics or strengthens their computational skills, and that it's predicated upon number tricks and memorization tables. Tricks are nice for expedience, but only after the fundamentals are fully understood; How are tricks like this going to prepare a student for trigonometry, calculus, physics, or chemistry? Odd are, they won't.

answered by DKqwerty | 09-06-2010 at 12:57 PM

Stuck on one's self
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuasail View Post
My PhD is from the University of Florida and my cognate is Learning Theory and mathematics. Think about it--how useful is it in 2010 to be able to add and multiple complex numbers in your head? Exactly what does this teach young people other than to engage in the parlor tricks that themselves are 300 years old. We have children getting excited about deriving answers while not learning anything about the deeper structure of mathematics.

For parents-- what is a prime number?
For parents-- why is learning what a prime number important?

For parents-- if you child ask you why learning algebra, trigonometry, and calculus was important -- what would you say.

For parents-- grow up and start to think.
What type of person would tell parents that are looking at ways to help their children to "grow up and start to think". It looks like all that higher education got you was a useless degree and a head full of yourself. Enjoy!!!

answered by Guest | 09-07-2010 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
-----------
UH, where did she use "your" wrong? She wrote "your child". That's correct. "You're" means you are.

answered by Guest | 09-08-2010 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne M. View Post
You didn't mention what the 'scam', I got into reading your thread, but it sure would have been nice for you to 'say' what it was (too much money, waste of time, what???). How about letting us in on what the out come was? Thanks.
This is just a piece of crab, I wish I did some research before buying to the commercial. what a waste of $99.00. Should give to the poor...

answered by Guest | 09-09-2010 at 03:47 AM

I believe once the basics are learned that they need to show us quicker ways to solve multiply, divide, add and subtract. Parents whom are against this need to understand that certain teachers don't allow their students to use calculators on test. No matter what math you do you still have to add subtract divide and multiply. I just recently took a precalc class and the teacher did not allow us to use a calculator on tests. I'll tell you one thing, if i knew these short cuts i would have saved myself a lot of time per question.

answered by Guest | 09-11-2010 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from Shreveport View Post
I do not know whether the Brainetics program is worthwhile--although if it can do what it claims, I think it certainly would be. I know I'd like to be able to perform many of the math feats demonstrated. I would probably opt for one of the books available on the subject--if I could manage to take the time to actually put it in practice. Maybe videos and other materials would be helpful in that.
Calculation and concept 'can be' completely independent of one another; this point I do agree with. However, if we were to think back to our formative years when learning math's basic concepts; we would remember that calculators were not allowed. This is the very reason they were not allowed. If a child can use their mind as a calculator (surmising the answer alone - but having no idea how they arrived at the answer), do you believe that this lack of concept knowledge would stop them from writing their answer down on a test/quiz? Of course not. That's the problem. For older children/adults, this product would be amazing, but for children just now learning basic math skills it 'could be' harmful. If you notice though, the children in the infomercial are older. I'm for this product. I believe it will be a wonderful asset in my children's lives.

answered by Guest | 09-13-2010 at 12:55 PM

The Right Answer
When it comes to complex algebraic equations and such the process is important and is taught in those courses as needed. When it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing whole numbers, the bottom line is that if the method gets the right answer then the method is correct. My thought would be that the current system of teaching these problems should be changed to his method not discredit him. If the process that he is teaching is getting the correct answers then it is not a "parlor trick" it is deductive reasoning and, in fact, a correct way of doing it. When you start getting into College algebra and up you start to realize, and are even taught, multiple ways of getting to the same answers. I remember having to solve the same problem using 4 different formulas all with the same answer, and had to show my work for all of them. It was to show that there are and have been in mathematics more than one way to "skin a cat." Then we were taught the history of how the problem used to be solved and how the ways it can be figured now were born out of the "old way." If it works it isn't wrong and it will make it easier and faster for them to get through the algebraic equations when they get to them because they won't have to spend all their time on what should be the easiest part of math, working with real numbers. If this program also makes it easier to learn other subjects then I would say that there is more merit to this program than the one that is currently being taught.

answered by Guest | 09-13-2010 at 01:07 PM

I just ordered it. They told me that the kids must have a basic knowledge of maths. My oldest is taught different strategies to deal with maths problems and all I can tell from brainetics is its another strategy. I am going to try it for the 30 days and if i don't like it i can send it back.

answered by Guest | 09-16-2010 at 12:21 AM

Obviously there's two ways to learn this guys. from the start when children are in adolescence, still in elementary school. first off that way is really really horrible, in America average kids don't have a strong grasp on math and what it means, in terms of fully understanding why a certain thing might be true or not. and, assumptively I'd say that's dumb doing that because ur just rushing them into math. you rush too much there's bumps. those bumps are understanding the foundations and having trouble memorizing the old techniques. mixing old techniques with new techniques solving difficult math problems might get confusing. math tricks should either be very limited or unlimited range, there's really no point in a few parlor tricks, cause you might forget the old way.

ex: whats 522/124 expecting you to remember that can be accomplished but yet a joke. u memorize all of these dumb parlor trick ways, and forget where it came from the originality. and when dividing polynomials up your screwed because you either have to use long division or batters box, i think its called that anyways.. that first way during elementary school sets up a kid for failure..seriously. I'm a junior in trig honors, and i've just started peer tutoring lower levels, and they wanna know WHY something is, they just don't wanna know how it is. for example we were doing word problems

"The first and three consecutive odd integers", first off i could have told him the answer which is:
2x+1 and 2x+5, which is the answer, but he wanted me to explain it, even though i did, BECAUSE NOT DOING THAT IS STUPID. obviously the 2x part of it came from 2 times any number is even
+ any odd number would be correct as long as you did it consecutively. he got more out of that when i explained it. that said your precious children in elementary school will be doing these smooth as* parlor tricks, but still wont know foundations, which will result of you clouding their perception of things, in the end your just telling them there's a shortcut to everything, making it more confusing for them. i really wouldn't want that in elementary school btw.

The other way is when your child IS MATURE. and in high school or middle school. sure they're mature enough and smart enough to understand that the old way and the new way of learning things are different and they can understand that foundations come first. but really, whats the point of it you want your kid to expand in math skills and abilities that requires EXPANDING, not parlor tricks that branch off of the old ways. usually those memorizational problems really shouldn't have discussion of calculator usage or not. "whats 224 X 356, well wtf idk, use a calculator." of course it obviously wouldn't make sense for them to do it in their head, its nice and dandy but unnecessary. other tricks like squaring numbers that end in 5 can come in handy, I've used it multiple times, its especially useful in physics. but that's something more commonly used. You usually do all of those three digit multiplying in grade school anyways. now its just graphing and algebra, and geometry. it usually doesn't call for big number multiplying anyways.

Obviously my message here is that it doesn't matter, this project, program, scam, whatever you want to call it is pointless and a waste of time, money, and effort. And I'm sure if its so enjoyable to you parents that you wouldn't have a problem staying up with your kid and mastering the same tricks, because if your kid didn't start out to like math, then after you get the project you should AT LEAST be able to enjoy it as much as your kid.

answered by Guest | 09-24-2010 at 04:58 AM

This is really sad and pathetic to see all of these parent and teachers bickering and moaning. I'm a teenager and this is just ridiculous...parents stop intervening in the schools' educational system. i mean really wtf are you gonna do about it.. complain to the government or the board and demand change. THEY DON'T CARE...people don't you understand that everything is revolved around money. I'm not categorizing any teacher...just read carefully people, I'm actually generalizing and excluding the separate people who actually want to do good in this world. anyways that's what it all comes down too, stop teaching your kids if they still go to public schools, obviously any moron can tell by the way that all of these teachers and parents that are bickering that they can't get along, so you think they can work together teaching the same child?? NO

Don't get me wrong you can teach your child certain things, but in most schools there ARE TEACHERS CERTIFIED TO DO THIS. are the parents degree in math? or even physics? so stop getting too involved its embarrassing that you're. its o.k. to teach your kid but the limit is extremely short. another thing that's bothering me on this thread, is that the idiot parents targeting other people, oh I'm sorry these parents can never get blamed, they're the perfect teacher. WRONG. please, step up, get a reality check. i know that some kids have ADHD and whatever...so yea it is okay for the parents to intervene for extra help..if they need it. and lets face it, excluding kids who don't have a choice on manners/behavior, whatever you want to call it, but who's responsible for that. its obviously the parents, now its their responsibility to morally educate their kids, I'm talking about behavior and manners now. when your kid comes into class and he/she is sleeping, or he/she is disrespectful. who should take most of the blame? a teacher or a parent. oh because thought that the kid gets behavior patterns and all that junk FROM THEIR PARENTS. parents step up, there really is no excuse if your child is perfectly healthy, or near healthy, or whatever...i don't want to sound like a jerk offending anyone; but you understand the point I'm making. if your kid is really really really bad at school, idk...something may have happened. because YOU'RE THE PARENT and you control their lives...just like my mom does..sigh.

Also for the douche bags that's gonna complain to me about staying on or off topic, shut up, you know what all of this talk trickles down to this topic. i mean really wtf, we can't get ahead in the math game when teachers and parents aren't on the same page. this is the reality of the issue. You can't have two parties controlling one directionally and incooperatively, this really is uncalled for. as for my views of this piece of s***, its a waste of time and money. education could be way more advanced if it wasn't for this corrupt system. You can't solve corruption by some dam parlor tricks people i hope you realize that simple theory.

answered by KID | 09-24-2010 at 05:33 AM

Quote:
BTW I came to this thread because I was researching Brainetics because it reminded me about Scientology.
Hahaha!

Brainetics versus Dianetics. I wonder why they chose that name. First thing that came to my mind was Dianetics also!

answered by Jimmy | 09-25-2010 at 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy View Post
I WILL BE CHECKING THIS FORUM FOR ANY RESPONSES TO ME. So much more i wanna say but I've clearly expressed some of my thought on the forum + ideas/thoughts+ program + real life.

RESPOND TO "MONCHY"
I think it is undeniable that being able to multiply, divide, add, and subtract arbitrarily complex numbers together is a very useful skill to have. in fact it is great to be able to do this in daily life. Like being able to budget your grocery list without having to take out a calculator.

I am 37. I wish I knew this stuff when I was attending college. College would have been much easier. During mid terms and finals test for engineering, the right answer is what matters. And that is what you get scored on. Understanding the higher levels theories doesn't count if you don't have the right answer. Your bridge or whatever you are designing/building would still fall apart.

I plan to buy this stuff for myself now. (Not for some 7 to 10 year old).

Jimmy

answered by Guest | 09-25-2010 at 02:16 AM

grandparent
Regarding post #13: How can one claim to be a "teacher" and not understand the concept of the contraction "you are" which is you're???

answered by Just sayin... | 09-26-2010 at 12:26 PM

Brainetics Scam
I looked through the internet as afar as I could, and all I could find was one where a person's 11 yr old child stole his credit card. Brainetics was less that up front and forthcoming with the refund policy even though they knew there was an underage purchaser without parental consent.

answered by Guest | 10-04-2010 at 04:07 PM

Who is right
I have read what people said. I think a lot of you have a lot of good points. I do think that there is too much home work sent home to our children. I have 3 children and 1 in college right now. I also agree that our children need good teachers and I feel that some teachers are flat lazy. I do think there are also some real good teachers out there. I do have a child with ADD. Some of the teachers that my daughter have right now in college don't want to help her when she has problems. She is taking some on line classes and I have read her emails and what the teachers have written back and I was real upset after reading the emails. She is having a very hard time with math right now. I have thought about the Brainetics for her and my grandchild. I have tried to help all of my children with their home work and I agree with the person that said you need to be a teacher sometimes just to try to help your child do their home work. My child that has ADD was left behind and some teachers seem not to care no matter how much the parents are involved. My wife and I even sat in some of his classes trying to see if there was anything we could do. I don't know no if I should buy Brainetics or not. I wish that there were more people on here that have bought it and could tell me more about it. I do also with it could help with more then just general math and because I didn't see it doing more then that I think it could be something that could hurt a child trying to take Algebra or something higher. If you are planning to graduate high school or college you have to have passed Algebra or higher no matter what and that is what is holding me back on if it could help a person taking Algebra. Help me figure this out please......

answered by Guest | 10-05-2010 at 04:01 PM

I have watched it
I found Brainetics at a thrift store for 7 dollars in unused condition, and it included the two extra disc for a total of 7. It's professionally produced, has nice cartoons between segments, and has an upbeat manner throughout.

I have viewed the first three dvds. Each one has about 1 hour of video on it. The first dvd has three segments: magic squares, compute the day of the week for any date, and a card game. He gives a method to generate an odd dimension magic square. It's not too hard and I did like this topic. Next, computing the day of the week for a given date is neat, but I think he made it harder than necessary on the final step where you divide the computed number by 7. He corollates the first digit to the right of the decimal with the day of the week. Well, it's easier (especially mentally) to just determine the remainder when you divide by 7. The remainder will be from zero to six and those values correspond to the days of the week.

Second DVD. Okay , he gives a Fibonacci sequence, but not the traditional, original one we all know 1,1,2,3,5,8,13... and he doesn't explain any history about it or what the original problem was (rabbits). But anyway he list 10 numbers in a sequence and says he knows a trick to quickly calculate their sum. The trick is to take the 7th number and add to it 10 times the 7th number (itself). However, he describes the trick in a more complicated manner then what I just stated, that I think is more difficult to remember. Go watch it for yourself.

Next on the second dvd, he gives doubling sequences, start with a number and keep doubling it.
He gives an easy way to determine the sum of the series. And that's great, but there's no development on why it works or anything. And, he doesn't even check the answer, just says they got the right answer. He could have extended the topic by solving for how much money will you have if you start with a penny on day 1 and double your money daily for 1 month. Or do the grains of rice on a chess board problem. What happens if you triple the previous number to generate the next number. These are geometric sequences. He is not giving a developed complete tutorial on the topics he is discussing. Just some tricks.

And it goes on like that. At the end of disc three he gives a method to compute the decimal equivalent of a fraction with either 91 or 143 in the denominator ( to 6 decimal places). Guess that leaves quite a few cases out. No one is going to remember the method, and most people will just use a calculator anyway if they want the decimal. There are a million fun things to do with fractions. Also he could have shown how to do long division on one line which is some what general.

For the other "vedic" multiplication tricks just do a google search. That includes the fourth disc. The fifth disc appears to be about memorizing letters in words, etc.

Also note: the book "Speed Mathematics for Kids" by Bill Handley is pretty good.

If you're in middle school go check out the Mathcounts web page. You can download the current handbook that has lots of good problems in it.

If someone is having difficulty memorizing the multiplication tables, just keep writing multiples until you're a speed demon. 6,12,18,24----60,66,72 12,24,36,48,60---- 120,132,144 etc.

Brainetics is okay, but it is overpriced for $150.

answered by Guest | 10-09-2010 at 04:10 AM

SOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
I just came across this product Brainetics after seeing someone tweeting about it but as soon as I read its introductory page I began thinking of the Just Another Scam story. Could it be? Where do I find a review of the product?
As always people with way too much time on there hands getting involved in things they know nothing about if you haven't tried the program why bother posting.
You only add confusion to the matter you nosy body sputniks stay off the computer and get a life.

answered by Guest | 10-11-2010 at 03:44 AM

This product has been out for years. It used to be called the human calculator twenty years ago. It is good but only after the basic rules are learned

answered by Guest | 10-12-2010 at 10:48 AM

parent who wants to help my child
my daughter is going to go to college next year and I am going to buy the program for her. She is not really excited by math but she wants to be a doctor. I hope that this program will help her with her math classes she will have to take. I wanted to read what people thought of this program who have bought it and out of all the messages posted only a few have actually used this product. I am willing to give it a try if it will help my daughter. People spend that much money on a night out on the town.
why not for something that can last longer then one night?

answered by Guest | 10-13-2010 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Regarding quote 7-Your part of the problem. FIrst of all, you don't need a college degree to help your child with math. Secondly, your child see's how your dealing with this problem, blaming the teacher. When you quit putting all of the responsibilbity on the teacher, perhaps your child will start stepping up to the plate. As a teacher myself, I'm tired of giving 200% and helping my students in every way that I can, going above and beyond, and yet am left to blame when a student doesn't perform. I use many strategies and this brainetics sounds like a nice supplement. A supplement is what it is. It doesn't replace working through concepts. That would be like having students memorize their math facts without teaching them the concepts. I teach concepts but it's also important for the students to be quick and efficient with their math facts for higher level learning to take place. Teaching them little tricks is very helpful. You can pay for Brainetics where some tricks are laid out or you can google math strategies, or mental math tricks etc. and come up with your own for free. Either way, it's worth your child's investment. Please, learn to work WITH your child's teacher, for your child's sake.
You know I'm not a teacher, that's what we pay people to do so TEACHERS quit giving my child homework I don't bring my job home with me and I don't expect my child to either! So quit yanking all hour and just do your damn jobs, You are not just a glorified Babysitter your being paid to help our children learn not send em home to us so we can do your jobs for you! I have not found one teacher that can do this your all just Lazy bums, Seriously If my children keep not learning and bringing homework home with em, I'm simply going to put them in a home school program. I know for a fact they will succeed far better than with the teachers of today who only wine about the money and are Unionized, as a parent I will no longer let unionized teachers be a part of my child's education. Why because a unionized teachers has their own agenda and does not care about the child who has struggled endlessly, so most teachers just give up and so does the student this is happening way too much I say FIRE unionized teachers and replace them with people who can teach!

answered by Guest | 10-13-2010 at 01:38 PM

Watching the infomercial now. Couldn't help but laugh when the creator said, and I quote:

"We're not taking the kids from point A to point B. We're taking them from point A to point Z."

YOU SURELY ARE! The only thing I could think about why watching this infomercial is how the Brainetics product is only teaching puzzles on how to derive an answer, but not teaching the student how or why that answer is what it is.

There ARE real ways of teaching students how to derive answers by showing them how to derive the answer via other mathematical avenues, but not by jumping from point A to Z and then being clueless how you got that answer. What good is being able to solve 98789 × 27892 in 3 seconds if you have NO clue how you got the answer!?

answered by Guest | 10-17-2010 at 05:34 AM

Stop your belly aching
You know, I will most certainly give it a try. In today's educational system, the kids are missing out on so much. Teaching has become a pay check and not a passion any more. I mean their teaching kids memorization in schools anyway. Their are teaching them to past state tests so the school can get funding, rather than teaching them concepts so they can retain information. Schools have taken out basic grammar rules, organization, handwriting, basic geography, and other fundamentals to so they can abide by some crunch learning schedule that does nothing for American children.

Of course there will be negative remarks from people who haven't even tried it yet and from small minded teachers. They don't understand the overall package. This product improves focus and thought organization, and that scores big points with me. With so many kids in America getting diagnosed with "ADD" and some teachers who teach as if they have it, no wonder our kids are so lost.

Yes, this does not teach complex math theories, but these are elementary age students....duh! This will set up the framework for them to be able to grasp these more complex theories in the future because they won't have to be bogged down with simple arithmetic. Plus thry would get through math problems quicker which would math homework that much less of a chore.

If you are the type that buys mindless video games at $50 a whop and the game systems at $2-$300, expensive sneakers every few months, drink Starbucks twice a day everyday, get your hair and nails done every week, and go out every weekend....then you can invest in your children.

And for the teachers preaching that this is just a scam, I should hope you are the ones that go the EXTRA mile for your students. Stay after school when they need help, make learning fun, take time to get to know your students weakness and strong points on an individual basis, Start a math club or tutoring program at school, and so on. If not, and all you do is sit and grade papers, throw up techniques on a board while not making sure your students have a grasps for the material, and complain about how parents are not involved enough.....then sit down and be quiet. It's easy to complain, but finding a solution takes heart. You can't fault a parent for trying to find alternatives.

answered by tejah79 | 10-25-2010 at 01:24 PM

From Korean Math wiz
When I first saw brainetic I thought about how I learned math when I was in Korea. I came to US when I was 11 and saw many of US student do not know how to multiply, add or subtract. There was no basics that was rightly taught in US. I memorized multiplication when I was 1st grade and drilled on the basics of math so much we were like brainetic kids in TV. So when I was confronted with advance math in 5th in 6th grade in Korea(which is equivalent to high school math in US) I didn't have any problem understanding the concept because I was so well train in basics of Math. I was shock to see US student still using fingers to do there adding and subtracting in their 5th grade math. I heard US use to be like Korea taught the basics and drill on it so well and worry about the advance concept later. That's why home schoolers are so favor of this program. I wish you guys heed of my advice coming from perspective outside of US. Frankly US public school put lot of money in their education but get very little result. That is why we have this kind of program come out to supplement our education system.

Korean who is concern about bureaucracy of education in US.

answered by Guest | 10-28-2010 at 07:24 AM

It's not about knowing the basics
Briannetics never claimed to teach people the basics of math. Briannetics is assuming you already know the basic concepts and they are showing you how do do it faster. I am a junior in high school and I would be insulted if all they showed the customer was how the math problems work. I want to know how to do them faster.

answered by Guest | 10-28-2010 at 04:13 PM

You can see where your child gets it...stupidity is genetic!
Quote:
It is easy for people to say that you need to understand how to work through the problem but, what about the children who struggle really badly in math and just have a hard time understanding the steps. You also have the issues of teachers these days who don't take the time to try different methods with the children who are struggling and then they end up failing or the parents end up forking out the money to get the extra help that the child needs. What happened to the Motto no child left behind? I feel like this Brainetics is hope for those children. I have a child who has never gotten anything higher than a D in math and no one seems to want to help her. I have asked the school several times to put her in a help class that assists them with the help that she needs to understand it but, it just seems to do nothing. My child is in the 5th grade and she has been struggling with math since she started math in first grade. I feel like they are stressing these children out with all the pressure in school and don't allow them to be kids. I think this also has a lot to do with the whole ADHD epidemic. No one has time, patience for these children anymore. All the teachers say is more money or you need to pay for your Child's education in order for them to get a higher learning education. Just like the homework thing why do these children come home with tons of homework, what are they doing in class? I did not go to school to become a teacher how am I supposed to help my child if I don't understand how to explain in detail how a problem works? Isn’t this what the teacher gets paid to do? Why does my child get told that they ask too many questions? Is this not what teachers go to college for? You should never tell a child they ask too many questions this is a discouragement for child to hear that.

answered by Guest | 10-30-2010 at 12:12 PM

If the system helps only a few kids to find maths interesting and to try better then it is a bonus. We live in a now generation that has no time for the few who fall behind and forgotten, these children not only give up on school but also give up on themselves. If you have learned the technique properly and then you say it has made calculating sums harder because you have lost all other abilities of brain use then I support a real review of the dangers of the product. I would believe interested any real informed comment of any product, but I get annoyed with unfounded attacks. The real question is has a study been done and what were the findings? This would help the concerned parents who will do or pay any amount they can to help their children succeed in life.

answered by Dj More | 11-01-2010 at 06:26 AM

As a Father of 6 and a tutor of children with learning disabilities as well as fellow college classmates; this program may be interesting later in life however, they NEED to learn the fundamentals if they hope to truly understand the why. As for the the line in comment #7 "no child left behind" that is a fraudulent waste of time. It simply provides an excuse for passing on illiteracy and ignorance. Defined as, "the state or fact of being ignorant; lacking knowledge, learning or information." This is clarified for those uneducated minds that are so quick to criticize. You know who you are, it is abundantly clear in your spelling and sorry grammatical structure. Although I strongly agree with Instructors when they say that many parents do not take the time to help their children study... so what if you have to learn a little while helping, remember that its not how much time you have with your spouse and children that matter, rather what counts is HOW you spend that time together. It can be very difficult in this day and age for teachers to devote extra time for those that struggle with the large class sizes that have become the norm, yet there are school programs implemented for just such cases.

answered by Guest | 11-02-2010 at 12:06 PM

For JoshuaSail
Perhaps parents would like to see their kids excited about math, which will help them WANT to learn the basics instead of being frustrated and withdrawing all together.

Do us all a favor and keep your negative energy to yourself.

answered by Guest | 11-03-2010 at 01:17 PM

Brainetics Scam
I personally believe it is a scam and does not teach anything more than parlor tricks

answered by CA LAWYER | 11-05-2010 at 12:58 PM

FYI to anyone thinking of ordering the $14.95 trial. The website does say that if you return within the 30 days you may be subject to a 15% restocking fee. Found that in the Terms and Conditions.

answered by Guest | 11-06-2010 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
I wanted to make a post after the lat person and give you some advice. Never highlight your words in a quotation. Especially the way you did in your quote. You may be a concerned parent but my guess is that you are in sales because this is a subliminal tactic we use in sales to draw attention to our point so customers focus on value versus words. So I am completely disregarding your comments because of this.

I have not purchased the product but am beginning to think about purchasing it for my kids this summer as a part of a summer project. THERE IS NO REPLACING WORKING THROUGH THE EQUATION. See I capped my words to draw attention to them.
Thanks for your post! I hate all caps and regularly skip over them, and am glad to see another like-minded person here :-) ALL CAPS is so annoying!

answered by Guest | 11-07-2010 at 07:48 AM

This type of math has been done years before brainetics. a guy named Scott Flansberg wrote the book MATH MAGIC ages ago! it was this same type of math. I think he may even have been on the old Phil Donahue show years back. Had Phil doing t his stuff in his head. I know it changed not only how I d not only changed how I do math, but my whole ATTITUDE about it which is really saying something.

My only problem with brainetics is that this guy acts like he invented it when in actuality he learned it from others.

answered by Guest | 11-09-2010 at 11:32 AM

What is the value of a short cut to a problem when you are asked to show your work? And how can you value the destination of the problem in you can't remember the journey? Don't teach your kids short cuts for something that will hurt them in the long run! Me kids teacher ask them to show their work. Does your kids teacher do that?

answered by Guest | 11-10-2010 at 09:13 AM

Get off the comfy couch parents!
After reading 25 (or so) of these comments, I was applauded at the parents who blame the teachers! How many kids are you teaching? The teacher has 26 to 30 (or so) kids to teach, and if lucky, some parent volunteers! To the teacher(s) who respond in forums like this, be sure you're not making yourself look bad by responding with poor grammar.
As parents we're responsible to ensure the success of our own children. Teachers need our help and can't be expected to do it all. Ultimately, our kids depend on knowing the parents will be there to be there to help them. If that means going in for a refresher course, or actually learning the math for the first time, just do it! Your child depends on you - it's not up to the teacher to be the "end all" for each and every child. Teachers are expected to teach the concepts, and hope every child learns the concepts, but it's only with practice the brain connections will be made. If the brain connections (synapsis) aren't made the child will move on without the necessary building blocks. It's up to us, as parents, to be sure they're getting the practice they need to make those connections.

answered by Guest | 11-11-2010 at 12:11 PM

general comment - TEXTING example
Typing on the iPhone so this probably won't be a long post. I would like to use texting as an example comparison for short cuts. My mom's an English teacher, taught remedial English often. I have a natural ability with grammar and had the benefit of her education. I have 4 degrees ( counting my AA); none in math. I know I will use some short cuts in this post... I saw the infomercial today; it peaked my interest enough to find this board- read a lot of posts -both people who had tried it and those who have not. I will attempt to make a few thought-provoking points:
- I LOVE texting, it is still difficult for me to use the short cuts like 2, c ur, 4, oic,. I think it's fun so I have tried to learn it- but I already know the correct use of the language.
-don't like math, but I don't like tricks either. I like to know the inner workings. based on what I thought and the posts from actual users, I will not buy this product until it's $19.95. the "convenient" problems presented would be rare in real life (NRL?)
-calculators are here now because the inventor(s) did math the long way. we have all these gadgets because of the hard work of those people;glad it was invented. if I am going to learn faster methods fir simple math, I want to be able to apply it no matter if the numbers are only between 100 and 109. the short cut for multiplying by a number that ends in 0 is one I tool away from school and I have developed my own short cuts for addition and subtraction- that work in most circumstances. I'm no math genius, but it works for me.
- the product looks very low-tech, would not hold my attention and I am 34.
- I really want an iPad! I need a bigger screen ;-)

answered by Guest | 11-11-2010 at 03:37 PM

Wish it only cost around $35.00. O.K., maybe around $50.00, it would have made for a great Christmas gift for the kids (with all the memorization tricks and games, and little math tricks), I wouldn't mind at all over-paying for it at $50.00. But at $150.00 just seems a bit excessive (it's not teaching the theory of relativity, after all).

answered by Guest | 11-11-2010 at 10:58 PM

black/white personality
I've spent some time reading through all these comments. Yes, I know. Get a life! But all I really wanted to know is someone's first hand experience with this material. From what I've gather, those who have tried it are very pleased. Today has enough troubles of its own. No need to read to much into things. Confidence and love shining through a child is MOST important.
So, most of you who have posted need to get a life too !

answered by Guest | 11-12-2010 at 01:33 PM

Actual Product tester and college student
I've bought this program a while back because I knew my math skills sucked. I won't lie, every once in a while I'll add a two digit number on a calculator.

With this program I learned some quick shortcuts to answering some big numbered equations. So in a way it worked. HOWEVER, I still have problems with math.

Solving quadratic equations got easier but I still have trouble with the formulas, this includes other equations as well. I don't fully know the 12x12 times tables, but answering problems is easier. I am fortunate enough to remember at-least 85% of various formulas for different algebraic problems. I was always trying to learn different ways of solving equations with out a calculator so I could show my work. This is a big key in 8th grade to senior year. Showing work is a key element to understanding how math works.

As a user of this program I encourage parents to wait for your kids to get to atleast 8th grade before using this product. Also make sure they aren't stupid. There will always be students that goof off in class because they don't know what they are doing, so make sure they are the ones that want to learn, otherwise you will blow some $150 for a product that may be pushed to the side.

I also encourage teachers to teach some of the tricks and maybe even use some of the games in class to test their memory. Always teach the steps to 5=2x + 1, but maybe help them understand a quicker way to solve a problem.

For me, I don't think the product was all that worth it. I should've bought Call of Duty Black Ops and learned something about the Cold War. My absolute problem with this product was me. I Hate math! Had I taken the time to absorb as much information back in elementary school, I think I would have been very good in math to the point where this product would be irrelevant. Since I was dependent in the calculator, I think it hurt me academically. If I had this program back in elementary school, I think it would have taken a much larger toll on my studies. The games were fun, but not really what I wanted. The games were just...practice tests.

Resolve: product was an expensive supplement to better my mathematical solving skills that in the end, wasn't worth the money for me. REMEMBER!! Results may vary.

In regards to teachers vs parents. Parents need to understand that teachers are doing the best they can. The problem isn't the teacher or teaching methods, it always begins at home. Where I work I see day in and day out terrible parenting. It also doesn't help that in today's society, media plays a big role on kids attitudes, mannerisms, behaviors, and personalities. When I was in high school, junior year in 2006, there was a group of some 4 or 5 kids that would always stick in the back being obnoxious and rude. My teacher did the best she could to teach and control them. It effected the others because time was wasted on helping them. I'm not saying that the teacher should have given up on them. What I'm merely trying to say is that parents need to take responsibility in helping to promote a positive learning environment, healthy life style, and proper behavior. All of this needs to start at home! Although this may be rude, arrogant, or just straight up controversial, if you aren't ready to raise a kid or ready for the responsibilities that come with it, don't give birth to a child. Don't have sex with a man that is going to leave the family when you get pregnant, No Glove-No Love. Parenting begins the moment your body gets ready to house a child.

answered by Guest | 11-13-2010 at 11:28 AM

help with math
I only read a few quotes, I have seen the Brainetics ad on tv anything that makes a child enjoy learning is good
I agree that understanding how is as important as the answer there are a lot of sites on web that teach, a lot of them are free Cool math 4kids.com for one but plenty more, people that took the time to post in here must have concerns so try looking at some of these sites and sharing them with your kids, don't let them look on their own they will just go straight to halo.

answered by William | 11-13-2010 at 12:29 PM

No child left behind in class of 1976
I've seen the infomercial for this product. I've often thought how much this kind of learning might have been when I went to school. Either my school was VERY progressive OR they just didn't care.

I remember my fourth grade math class - with bitter memories; as the teacher would call out the student's name and grade. Often my name was called out followed by "F". On the rare occasion when I performed well - "Hey everybody, PETER got a D".

It wasn't until college when a professor gave me a simple problem; 2 + 2 X 2 + 2 X 2. I gave the answer, "20". The professor came to my desk and said "Don't you know the order of operations?" "No", I said, "What's that?"

I graduated not knowing the order of operations. For those who are thinking this guy is an idiot, the above problem equals 10, not 20. I never failed a single grade, though I should have been.

For those who are down on teachers, perhaps they had similar experiences. In High School Algebra (which they actually sent me to without a complete understanding of the basics), the teacher would write some formula on the board and shout "Write it down!" "I don't understand" I'd say; "WRITE IT DOWN!" So I did. I didn't know why, but it meant nothing to me.

I've read several things about brainetics and just don't know what to think. The program was once offered for $99.00, now it's $149.00. Someone is doing pretty well with math banking skills. "Fool" plus "Money" equal "Mo money fo me."

I just learned about "Casting out Nines". Even that would have helped back when taking tests. I spent more time copying problems than solving them. No wonder I got poor grades. "Show your work." OK, but that took even more time. So how did I graduate? (as I pause to scratch my head) And yet, I've gone on to do some pretty big things in the aerospace industry. Just think what I could have done IF I would have understood math - Oh so long ago.

Today I'm unemployed, 16 months so far. I'm too good to get the little jobs but not educated enough to get the big jobs. Those jobs in the middle - there's a lot of competition out there.

I'm bothered by all the bickering of people on both sides of the fence. If this program truly works, I'd want it for myself. Never mind my children who I couldn't help with math. Oh, and they went on to do quite well for themselves. Somehow I managed to teach them that they are not stupid, like I was told so often my my teachers.

I'm 53 now and spend way too much time thinking of what might have been. It's a more pleasant place than where I am now.

So my question still remains unanswered: "Does Brainetics do what it claims?"

answered by Guest | 11-14-2010 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Sure it's cute to do parlor tricks with math, squaring numbers and the like, but in reality, children need to be taught where the answer came from and how to work that out. Too many times are we wanting instant gratification for things. Our society has been built on the need to have the answer instantly, without understanding it. Without the deeper levels of thinking, and working down a problem, a society will never reach full potential.

I don't think it's a scam, but i don't think it fully works as advertised, either.

I agree - it teaches tricks for doing math problems but does not teach the true way the problem is solved.

answered by Guest | 11-15-2010 at 01:06 PM

I saw the infomercial on TV a couple of nights ago and was curious about it. Not for me or even my child (who is only in kindergarten anyhow), but because I am a concerned math enthusiast (yes, a math nerd). I got my undergrad in math and my masters in theoretical statistics. Given that math is my strength, please excuse any of my poor grammar or misspellings.

As a graduate student I taught some lower division math classes and I've worked as a math tutor for over 10 years. Also, my dad was a sixth grade school teacher for 35 years and then taught Singapore math at a charter school for another 4 years. He "picked" my brain a lot when he was learning how to teach Singapore math and we've had many discussions about how to teach good math concepts well. The main concern I would have with this product is a problem I see in the public school system anyway. Kids are learning to memorize patterns and not really learning to understand the concepts.

I remember when I was in elementary and most of my math homework consisted of plowing through math problems that were essentially the same. Many of the kids that I tutor try to learn patterns as opposed to understanding why you divide both sides of an equation by 2 to solve for x in the equation 2x=4. They simply memorize that you divide by the number next to the x. You wouldn't believe how many people don't understand that 2x is the same as x+x (meaning you have 2 xs). I mentioned Singapore math because this is a method that I have bought in to.

Singapore math primarily uses story problems, which is great because then it is forcing one to understand the concepts as opposed to memorizing steps based on what the equation looks like. I think currently the U.S. is ranked about 7th in the world in general math proficiency for grades K-12, but Singapore has been number one for about the last decade and it's not even been close.

I am also of the opinion that anything that can motivate a child to want to learn math is a step in the right direction. It also looks like it would be a good exercise for the brain. One needs to learn his/her times tables to succeed at pretty much any level of math and there is really no way around having to memorize at least the facts up to 10 and up to 12 is typically the norm.

While my dad was teaching Singapore math that was the one thing he stressed to the parents, HELP YOUR CHILD MEMORIZE HIS/HER MULTIPLICATION FACTS. For many parents, he told them that was the only thing they should focus on and he could do the rest. The point being is that memorization is a part of math just like anything else we learn, and you should memorize your facts so well that it doesn't feel like memorization anymore. After that, math requires very little memorization.

I personally don't remember things very well (as I am told by my wife on a regular basis), but I enjoy math because of the logical sequence of steps that don't require memorizing. So it sounds to me like brainetics might be a good idea if used to supplement the learning process and perhaps a good way to EXERCISE the part of the brain that memorizes and calculates and shouldn't replace a core foundation math teaching curriculum. I would compare this to when I played football.

I trained and did many drills that exercised my body, but the drills weren't what I would encounter in a real football game, but they closely simulated what I would encounter and thus better prepared my body. So, learning the basic foundations of math is still a must, but regular exercise of the "math" portion of the brain (in whatever way possible) is very healthy. How math is being taught is truly a concern of mine and it is sad that a person that is illiterate can receive government aid to learn to read (because it is considered a basic life need), but a person who is completely inept in math can receive no such assistance.

answered by Guest | 11-15-2010 at 05:26 PM

I'm just wondering, for those of you who are criticizing this learning technique, do you or do you not use a calculator? Like I said, I'm just wondering...

answered by Guest | 11-17-2010 at 06:15 AM

I've just watched the first DVD

THIS IS NOT MATHS EDUCATION
Nor will it directly improve your child's math level at school.

Essentially all He teaches is maths tricks that you could probably find if you looked hard enough elsewhere on the net.

The children on the video are using calculators to help work out the answer.

There is no basic maths introduction or math theory.
In the first few minutes of the video they say work out 234 / 4 (for example).
It is done with a calculator, no real reason is given on why you have to do it.
These are just called rules. In fact they only are rules to that certain trick they have no relevance in math.

The video is disguised as a "math is learning and fun" etc video with kids competing against each other. In fact one the of examples he does they mention "only 1 in a million people can do". Which I guess is to give him credibility. In reality He spent a load of time till he became proficient at doing them in his head. Like most adults you child will never be able to do that.

Nothing on these DVDs will directly help your children.
If you child gets excited by maths tricks and somehow amazingly finds the motivation to read their text books I would be very surprised.

You children will actually learn more doing Sudoku or maths crossword puzzles.
If they need help then get them a student tutor. Your money will go a lot further.

answered by Guest | 11-17-2010 at 07:52 PM

Im not sure....
I'm a college student majoring in science / math. I have ALWAYS struggled a GREAT amount with math however, after really "getting into it" by utilizing as many resources I could, in addition to a PLETHORA of college instructors who were not only willing but incredibly excited to see students who "want" to succeed, I suddenly find myself in the head of my physics and math class (by FAR) and, I am also tutoring a LOT of students (mostly high school - some college) in math.
I have however, turned a few students down who's parents offered to pay for my help (I tutor for free) however, when I mentioned that ny services were mostly available on the weekends, the parents were quick to respond with ; "well, my son/daughter doesn't really have the mind set to do extra work on the weekends"... WHAT?!!

My successful students- have a positive outlook once they begin understanding the "ins and outs" of math and, they're also willng to practice, show up for tutoring and, do "what it takes" in order to succeed.

even the BEST program will NOT HELP if you're students are not willing to put forth effort.

REGARDING THE 'BRAINETICES' PROGRAM:
Try EVERY resource if thats what is necessary to succeed! You only get out what you put in (thats true sometimes in physics too ha ha)... sand please, stop criticizing instructors / teachers. They're only as great a resource as the willingness of your child!!!!

answered by Guest | 11-19-2010 at 02:56 AM

scam
No matter what skills are taught in school mathematics is the universal language of interpretation and although this program helps basic logic of multiplication , no human (Homo sapien) brain is alike nor a person is alike therefore this is not a good product and the brainetics are just trying to take your money like you or me. Its all a money game get with this economy. SCB

answered by Guest | 11-20-2010 at 10:17 AM

scam
Quote:
I'm just wondering, for those of you who are criticizing this learning technique, do you or do you not use a calculator? Like I said, I'm just wondering...
Does not mater if a calculator is used. Brainetics would be equivalent to cheating or better off plagiarism on my former CPA exams. This program should not be sold, end of conversation.

answered by Guest | 11-20-2010 at 10:30 AM

Consider this
This morning, I saw for the first time a Brainetics commercial. While I haven't gone to the website yet because I wanted to see public opinion, my initial reaction is this fills a valuable need and here is one reason why:

Jr High and High School students often work concession stands in their school or work in fast food joints. My experience has been these students are woefully lacking in how to make change. Give them a $20 bill to pay for $10.70 in product, most cannot figure out how much change to give back to the customer without using a calculator. It's sad that simple mathematics is beyond their skill level.

answered by Guest | 11-20-2010 at 01:45 PM

Another reason to use Brainetics
As one approaches middle age and beyond, it is told by doctors to exercise the brain more. Why?
Brain exercise helps slow the onset of dementia and Alzheimer. Reading is a method, but wouldn't playing with numbers in your head also do the trick.
I remember a book purchased over 50 years ago called The Trachenberg System of Shortcut Mathematics. If memory serves me well, I believe the author was a POW in World War 2, often placed in solitary confinement. He passed the time doing math problems in his head and worked out shortcut methods.
Instead of having tunnel vision about Brainetics, consider other positive uses for such a program.

answered by Guest | 11-20-2010 at 02:05 PM

comment