MS Pill Gilenya Price?

MS pill Gilenya has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to reduce relapses and delay disability progression in people with relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis. Gilenya reduces the frequency of MS flare-up, as well as helping slow down the build-up of some of the physical problems associated with MS.
What about the price of Gilenya? I read several articles about the new MS pill but none mentioned the cost. These medications are always expensive.
Does anyone know where I can find Gilenya's price?

asked by Meredith in Drugs & Medicine | 8482 views | 09-22-2010 at 05:38 PM

Gilenya is among a new class of medications designed to block certain blood cells in lymph nodes, delaying the cells' travel to the brain and spinal cord.
Novartis said Gilenya reduced the frequency of M.S. relapses and helped to slow the advancement of some of the physical problems caused by the disease, and the drug had a well-studied safety and tolerability profile.
Multiple sclerosis affects 2.5 million people worldwide, many of whom have trouble sticking with current therapies because theyíre difficult to use or have side effects.

As of right now, Novartis has not disclosed Gilenya's price.

Gilenya works by altering the immune system response and will be available in capsule form.
Wall Street analysts expect sales of Gilenya to top $1 billion. Total U.S. sales of multiple sclerosis drugs exceeded $5.9 billion last year, according to health care data firm IMS Health.

answered by Zeke | 09-22-2010 at 05:39 PM

Merck is awaiting an FDA decision on its own MS pill, cladribine. And Biogen Idec has a pill, BG-12, in late-stage trials.
It's nice to know there are many new breakthroughs in MS medication. We can only hope better and better medication will be released in the next years.

answered by Barkley | 09-23-2010 at 03:54 AM

Price...
...isn't like the old saying, "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it."

answered by Richard Thickrod | 09-27-2010 at 12:25 AM

48,000 per year, according to Bloomberg.

answered by Guest | 09-30-2010 at 08:05 PM

Joyce
Itís going on five months now since I stopped taking the injectable MS therapy drug, Rebif, as my disability income and supplement for my fourteen year-old daughter just barely put me over the poverty level, causing me to no longer qualify for Medicaid in my state, Illinois. And, the Medicare Part D 25% co-pay for the Rebif $3,028 monthly price tag is out of the question, not to mention the ever hovering Medicare Part D donut hole. The disappointment I feel over the $4,000 monthly price of Gilenya borders on hopelessness. I get the feeling that whatever drug the researchers come up with, it will always be unattainable for most of the people that need it. Isnít there some other way that the pharmaceutical companies can recoup their research expenses than gouging the victims of this painful, unpredictable and debilitating disease?

answered by Guest | 10-05-2010 at 01:43 PM

The Price is $30,000.00 annually. I suffer from MS.
What are the benefits of this pill, other than not injecting myself daily.
I read there are many side effects.
Why should I take this pill?
The injections are hard on the body as it is.
I have tremors, blurry vision, pain every where, hair loss, speech problems, memory problems, and skin break(s).
I take Copaxone daily injection and it cost $3,000 x 12(months) = $36,000 annually.

answered by Guest | 06-09-2011 at 03:29 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.