Juli Inkster Doughnut Rule?

Juli Inkster is a legend on the LPGA Tour, a Hall of Famer and a seven-time major winner. Today Juli was penalized for breaking a rule, something called the Doughnut Rule or donut rule.
Someone notified the LPGA that Juli Inkster had been seen on television taking a practice swing on the 10th tee with a weighted device on a club.
What is the Doughnut rule about and why is the penalty so severe to professional golfers?
She was disqualified from the tournament.

asked by Moon in Golf | 4178 views | 08-23-2010 at 02:52 AM

Juli Inkster used a weighted practice donut on a 9-iron club while killing time during a 30-minute wait prior to teeing off on the par-5 10th hole.

Inkster was disqualified for violating Rule 14-3 of the United States Golf Association's "Rules of Golf," which bars the use of practice devices during rounds. The USGA's "Decisions on the Rules of Golf" specifically addresses weighted headcovers and "donuts" used at make clubs heavier to help players get loose. Their use is barred during rounds.

You can use a training aid in the practice areas to help you achieve proper alignment, for example, but you can't set it up on the No. 10 tee during your round to make sure you are aimed correctly.

The penalty for violation of Rule 14-3 is disqualification.

Juli Inkster gave this brief quote regarding the incident which occurred on the 10th tee: "I had a 30-minute wait and I needed to loosen up. It had no effect on my game whatsoever, but it is what it is. I'm very disappointed," she said in a statement.

answered by Oscar | 08-23-2010 at 02:53 AM

comment