Guatemala Crater/Sinkhole Video & Pics?

At least 115 people have died after a tropical storm affected Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador over the weekend. Guatemala was the country that got hit hardest.

The office of Guatemala's president handed out an aerial picture of a crater that opened up after Agatha hit. It is a huge sinkhole, I guess it was posted in a CNN article first.
Does anyone have more pictures of the Guatemala crater?

I'm sure by now there must be a video of the sinkhole.
How can you explain such a crater is created by a storm? Please post more pictures or a video if you find them!

asked by Raider in Geography | 3119 views | 06-01-2010 at 12:26 AM

This huge Guatemala crater according to Gizmodo “is a natural depression caused by the removal of soil by water. This process can happen slowly, but sometimes the land just cracks open. In this case, the sinkhole happened suddenly.”

I wish there was a video of the crater.

Here are some pictures of the Guatemala sinkhole/crater.

Guatemala Crater

Guatemala Sinkhole

The photos are just amazing.

The photos were posted by the Guatemalan Government's Flickr feed and they show the massive, spontaneous sinkhole that appeared today in Zone 2 of Guatemala City, after overwhelming saturation of rains from tropical storm Agatha. Not Photoshop, sadly: these happen from time to time during major storms in part because of unstable geology. There are rumors of similar sinkholes now forming nearby.

The Guatemala sinkhole appeared after the zone was hit by tropical storm Agatha.
Agatha which roared in Saturday from the Pacific was accompanied by driving rain, compounding the woes of Guatemalans already facing disruption caused by a volcanic eruption from the Pacaya crater.

The devastation has been widespread throughout Guatemala with mudslides destroying homes and buildings and burying some victims. At least nine rivers have dramatically higher levels and 13 bridges have collapsed, the nation's emergency services said.

There is no video of the Guatemalan crater yet.

answered by Scarlett | 06-01-2010 at 12:37 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.