Nuts Toxic to Dogs?

I think my dog is sick. He eats almost everything eatable he finds on the floor and yesterday we went to the park and he ate some nuts a kid throw at him.
Is it possible that my dog is now sick because he ate nuts?

asked by Guest in Dogs | 5481 views | 08-05-2009 at 10:45 PM

There are various foods that are toxic to dogs.

Macadamia nuts are highly toxic to dogs. After eating macadamia nuts, dogs can develop muscle spasms, fever, inability to walk and kidney problems.

A recent paper written by Dr. Ross McKenzie, a Veterinary Pathologist with the Department of Primary Industries, points to the danger of raw and roasted macadamia nuts for pets.

The toxic compound is unknown but the affect of macadamia nuts is to cause locomotory difficulties. Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs are often unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated.

answered by Dino | 08-05-2009 at 10:48 PM

While no variety of nuts is necessarily healthy for dogs, macadamia nuts can produce symptoms ranging from nausea to paralysis. Depending on the dog, and the amount consumed, the result can be a dangerous state of shock—and if combined with chocolate, the effect can be fatal.

Even small amounts of nuts are toxic to dogs with as few as six macadamia nuts triggering major symptoms. Within 12 hours of ingesting some of these nuts, dogs display an inability to walk or stand, vomiting, weakness and elevated heart rate.

Their high phosphorus content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs are often unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated.

answered by Tyler | 08-05-2009 at 11:18 PM

Really?
I have a small dog which is about 9 lbs. In the past, before I researched the internet, he ate some roasted Macadamia nuts (more than 6), and showed no side effects whatsoever. Of course, I am not feeding him with any more nuts, just to avoid any potential harm, but my dog is doing just fine.

answered by Guest | 12-15-2009 at 05:58 PM

comment
Thread Tools
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.