Turkey Brining Recipe: How To Brine a Turkey?

How do you brine a turkey? Can someone help me find a good turkey brine recipe?
I have never tried to brine a turkey before but I would like to try this year.
I'm making the turkey this year and I want the outcome to be delicious. Is there a video I can see that explains how to correctly brine a turkey for Thanksgiving?
I have a 20 lb turkey and need to know how much salt and sugar to add to brine it. Also - how long should I brine it for?
What are the benefits of brining a turkey?

asked by Angela in Holidays | 6239 views | 11-22-2010 at 01:01 AM

Brining is the very simple and inexpensive process of “marinating” the bird in a salt solution infused with aromatic herbs, spices, fruits and vegetables. The salting process encourages very deep, cellular moisture penetration.

Brining adds moisture and flavor to poultry and helps to keep it from drying out. A turkey can be a serious investment in time so you want to make sure it is perfect, especially if you're entertaining. Whether you grill, smoke, fry, or roast your turkey, you should use a brined bird.

Brining is simply soaking in a salt water solution. The benefits of brining are many fold. Brining provides a cushion for the breast meat, so even if it overcooks by ten degrees or so, it remains moist.

Here's the basic brining technique.

In a pot that holds at least 6 quarts, combine 1 cup kosher salt, cup sugar, and 2 quarts cool water. Put the pot over high heat and stir occasionally until the salt and sugar dissolve. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in another 2 quarts water and chill in the refrigerator.

Remove the neck, giblets, and tail (if present) from the turkey; reserve them for making turkey broth. Discard the liver. Rinse the turkey well. Double up two turkey-size oven bags and then roll down the edges of the bags a bit to help them stay open. Put the bags in a heavy-duty roasting pan and put the turkey, breast side down, in the inner bag. Pour the brine over the turkey (have someone hold the bags open for you, if possible). Gather the inner bag tightly around the turkey so the brine is forced to cover most of the turkey and secure the bag with a twist tie. Secure the outer bag with a twist tie. Refrigerate the turkey (in the roasting pan, to catch any leaks) for 12 to 18 hours. Rinse the turkey thoroughly and pat dry before roasting. If your turkey is kosher, don't brine it, as it has already been treated with salt.

If you still are not sure, this video explains how to brine a turkey.

answered by Nadia | 11-22-2010 at 01:02 AM

One of the best ways to make a better Turkey is with a good Brine. Brining a Turkey makes it juicier and more tender.
There are many ways to make a great brine, you should do whatever recipe works best for you.

answered by Guest | 11-22-2010 at 03:13 PM

I like a honey turkey brine... I am making it today so I can soak the bird in it overnight tomorrow.
All brining recipes call for sea or kosher salt. What's the difference with using regular table salt?
Can I just use regular salt for brining?

answered by Layla | 11-24-2010 at 06:48 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.