How To Make Hard Boiled Eggs: Peel Easy & Time To Cook?

I would like to know how to make the best hard boiled eggs.
I need simple explanations and easy since I need to make them fast.
They need to peel easy.

When I make hard boiled eggs, about 50% of the time I have real problems peeling the eggs. A good portion of the egg comes off with the shell, and it ends up looking a mess.

Does anybody know why is it that sometimes a hard boiled egg is easy to peel and sometimes it comes out like a moon rock full of craters?

How long do you boil an egg to make it hard boiled? Time to cook?

asked by Anna in Cooking & Recipes | 4660 views | 04-03-2010 at 10:06 PM

How to make a Hard Boiled Egg

* Lay eggs on bottom of the pot

* Try not to stack your eggs (it's better to do it in batches than overfill your pot)

* Fill with water so it's an inch over the eggs

* Put on high heat and bring to a rapid boil

* Let boil for 12 minutes

* Remove from heat

* Remove the eggs immediately from the pot (I use a slotted spoon) and plunge them into cold water until you can pick them out of the water without burning your hands (a bit under a minute)

Normally you'll want to boil several eggs at once, maybe 6 to 8. Several recipes recommend that you use eggs that are a week or two old, because they will peel best. It's also recommended to use a large enough pot for boiling so the eggs have space. Otherwise they will shift around and possibly bump into each other, cracking.

Time to cook? Normally it will take about 6 minutes to reach the boiling point. At that point, when you are seeing large bubbles and steam, you'll want to remove the pot quickly and put it on another burner that's off.

I love hard boiled eggs. For years I ate one every morning until my doctor told me that you shouldn't eat the same food every single day. So now I eat them only a couple of times a week. Sometimes with a little salt, usually without.

The simple and classic boiled egg, is one of the finest and easiest edible delights known on earth, with just 70 calories, and full of nature’s most perfect form of protein. It used to be that people were scared of eating eggs because of the cholesterol in the egg yolks. Now research has found that eggs also raise the good cholesterol that bodies need.

According to the American Egg Board, the terms “hard-” and “soft-boiled” eggs are really misnomers, because boiling eggs makes them tough and rubbery. Instead, these eggs should be “hard-” or “soft-cooked” in hot (still) water.

Video of how to make Hard Boiled Eggs that peel easy.

About the peeling, your eggs are *too* fresh - makes 'em hard to peel. Try peeling them under cold water. Sometimes that makes it easier.
Try this. Boil a whole lot of water - your big pot. Turn off the heat. Put an egg in. Cover and leave for a half hour. Now peel it under cool water.

Here's what works for me: As soon as the eggs are finished, I pour off the boiling water, then I dump ice cubes + cold tap water over the eggs while they're still in the pot. Then I take the eggs and rap them all over against the sink so that the shell is cracked all over. Finally, I peel them under running cold water. *Usually* the peel slides right off. But some eggs are just recalcitrant!

answered by Melissa | 04-03-2010 at 10:14 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.