Jeni Stepanek Biography?

Mattie Stepanek, was an American poet who had six books of poetry and one book of essays all reach The New York Times bestsellers list. He became a well-respected peace advocate and motivational speaker.

He suffered from a rare form of muscular dystrophy, dysautonomic mitochondrial myopathy that resulted in his death just before his 14th birthday. His sister and two brothers also died from the disease during early childhood, and his mother has the adult form, diagnosed only after all four of her children were born.

His mother was Jeni Stepanek and I wanted to know what is she doing now, after the death of all her childs. Also where can I read about her life, can anyone point me to Jeni's biography?

asked by Murdock in Parenting & Children | 11234 views | 11-02-2009 at 03:17 PM

Jeni Stepanek is a motivational speaker, writer, advocate and consultant. She serves as a National Vice President for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, a Governor for the We Are Family Foundation, and as Chair of the Mattie J.T. Stepanek Foundation.

Like Mattie, Jeniís ability to rise above the debilitating disease is awe-inspiring. Despite living with MS and using a wheelchair, herself -- during her son Mattieís life, she steadfastly assisted him with his extensive participation in the MDA, appearing with him at events and television shows including The Oprah Winfrey Show and Larry King Live. In July of 2004 Jeni was elected vice president of the Muscular Dystrophy Association, to serve a one year term in the voluntary leadership role.

Jeni Stepanek continues her promise of honoring her son's messages of peace and hope.
Jeni, who has the adult-onset form of mitochondrial myopathy and uses a wheelchair, said she never knew that she would ever have the disease or pass it on to her children.

answered by Melanie | 11-02-2009 at 03:20 PM

Jeni Stepanek memoir
She just released a book called Messenger and was talking about it on Good Morning America today.

answered by Guest | 11-02-2009 at 06:07 PM

Jeni Stepanek
Hello, and thank you for your inquiry about 'my life!' While my new book, "Messenger," is about my son's life, it is told through my eyes and heart. Readers cannot read this book without learning more about me, my parenting, my own hopes and hesitations that clearly were intertwined with those of my son, Mattie J.T. Stepanek. Perhaps one day I will write more about my own story. This is my start in that direction, as I share my son's story for the first time.
In hope and peace,
Jeni Stepanek.

answered by Guest | 11-04-2009 at 06:17 PM

Messenger
I just finished Messenger and was so touched by your life stories. Mattie's story was truly an inspiration to me and I believe he indeed was a messenger from God. To be so intelligent at such a young age. Even though his life was cut short by most people's expectations, he was amazing and so productive in the years he was with us--I wish I had known about him before his going home to his heavenly father. In my eyes, God has certainly blessed your family.

answered by Guest | 02-24-2010 at 04:47 PM

Mattie's article, "Worlds of Courage" in January 2002 People's Magazine
I was cleaning an old box of papers when I picked up a 1/14/2002 People's magazine and went to page 105. It showed the picture of a handsome, smart young man of 11 in a wheelchair, called, "Worlds of Courage", "Mattie Stepanek, 11, turns a tragic illness into poetry - and two bestsellers".

It was a "one page" story. It touched my heart and I "googled" Mattie, and was sad to read that he had passed in 2004 at 13 years of age. But, was amazed that he had written several more books and had 1,300 people at his funeral including his friend, President Carter and Oprah. I further learned that he had been on Oprah several times.

"Googling", Jeni, his mother, I was glad that Jeni was still alive, and carrying hers and Mattie's message of hope and love with her service to MS, Mattie's foundation, and her books as well.

Such a kind, sweet star to shine so bright and lead us out of darkness. I will read your books Jeni and Mattie's too. God Bless. And I am so sorry that this had to happen to you and your dear family.

answered by Mary Ellen | 06-22-2010 at 07:29 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.