Kellogg Recall 2010: Bad Smell?

Today June 25, 2010, the Kellogg Co. has issued a voluntary recall of 28 million boxes of some of its most popular cereals because of an "uncharacteristic bad flavor and smell" coming from packaging.
I bought a box of Kellogg cereal for my kids days ago. They already ate half of it.
I smelled the box and the cereal but since I'm not used to cereal smell all cereals smell strange for me.
How can I tell if the Kellogg box I bought is part of the 2010 recall?

asked by Gianna in Parenting & Children | 2753 views | 06-26-2010 at 01:01 AM

Kellogg is recalling about 28 million boxes of Apple Jacks, Corn Pops, Froot Loops and Honey Smacks cereals because a bad smell and flavour coming from the package liners could make people sick. The company says the lining of the cereal boxes is to blame and it's working to correct the problem.

Only products with the letters "KN" following the Better If Used Before Date are included in the recall. Products with a "KM" designation are not included in the recall.

Consumers should not eat the recalled products of possible temporary symptoms, including nausea and diarrhea, Kellogg said in a news release. About 20 people complained about the cereals, including five who reported nausea and vomiting.

"We apologize to our consumers and our customers and are working diligently to ensure that the affected products are rapidly removed from the marketplace," said David Mackay, Kellogg Company's president and chief executive officer.

While the potential for serious health problems is low, they want to be on the safe side specially after consumers reported feeling sick.

The company said it is working on the recall in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

In January, Kellogg was ordered by the FDA to improve sanitation controls at an Atlanta plant. The FDA letter, made public on the regulatorís website the following month, came after Eggo buttermilk waffles were found to be contaminated with Listeria bacteria.

answered by Melanie | 06-26-2010 at 01:02 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.