Price: Gleevec Drug Cost?

Gleevec is a “miracle” cancer drug from Novartis, which is supposed to help people who have been diagnosed with Leukemia. It helps the Leukemia cells and acts as a band-aid. Gleevec is now turning 10 years old since it started to help people better handle Leukemia.

This drug is the closest thing there is to a cure for cancer.

What is the cost of Gleevec? My uncle has leukemia and he never had Gleevec. I would like him to give it a try, obviously checking with the doctor first. But what is the price of the drug?
Where can I find out information about the cost?

asked by Heidi in Drugs & Medicine | 14630 views | 05-11-2010 at 09:37 PM

Gleevec is a wonderful drug. Your doctor has to keep a close eye on you, and there are some side effects. But this can change the way you live your life if you suffer from leukemia.

The FDA has given Novartis AG, which is the company that makes the cancer drug Gleevec, a warning recently. The company had two websites that made misleading claims about the ‘miracle’ cancer drug Gleevec.

The only downside to Gleevec, is the cost: $3,100 a month. With insurance, Gleevec can cost only about $50 a month.

The price is a matter for lots of people, if you don't have insurance Gleevec is too expensive.

Since Gleevec was approved in 2001, researchers have hoped that every new cancer therapy would copy its success: a convenient pill that lets patients live for years with relatively few serious side effects. Though experts say few of the new "targeted" therapies come close to that ideal, they do have one thing in common with Gleevec: They're all incredibly expensive.

answered by Dove | 05-11-2010 at 10:07 PM

A price of $3,100 a month is just too much for some families.
Specially in these times when the economy is so bad.

answered by Moon | 05-12-2010 at 09:36 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.