National Wear Purple Day 2010?

Tomorrow is national "Wear Purple Day 2010," also known as "Spirit Day." A lot of people is going to show their support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth by wearing purple.

National Wear Purple Day was also created to remember those teens who have taken their own lives as a result of anti-LGBT bullying. One example of this is Tyler Clementi, who jumped off the George Washington Bridge for being bullied online.

I'm not gay but I think it is important to wear purple and show some support, it doesn't hurt you and it's for a good cause. Where did this started? I was told about it by email.

asked by Porter in Holidays | 2675 views | 10-20-2010 at 05:27 AM

LGBTQ Wear Purple Day or Spirit Day was started by Canadian teenager Brittany McMillan, who used her Tubmlr account to spread the message. There are now multiple Facebook Pages, with thousands of members vowing to wear purple on October 20.

One of those being remembered on Wear Purple Day 2010 is Justin Aaberg, who was 15 when he hung himself in his room July 9. His last Facebook post said, "If you really knew me, no one would like me," his mother says.

Her son never told her of the emotional pain he was in, but gay people hear so many epithets and cruel remarks that they start to believe them.

Purple represents "spirit" in the rainbow flag that's the symbol of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community.

And if you want to do more, you can turn your twitter picture and your facebook picture purple in support of Wear Purple Day.

answered by Cosby | 10-20-2010 at 05:28 AM

I'm wearing purple today. The stories of these teenagers who took their own lives are terribly upsetting.

A recent study found that nine out of 10 gay kids reported being harassed by their peers, and gay kids are four times more likely to take their lives.
It's incredible that Wear Purple Day was created this month and it's reached millions.

answered by Basic | 10-20-2010 at 07:30 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.