Should Children Be Tried As Adults?

I was just reading the paper and I cannot believe the things children do these days. They murder and do lots of bad stuff and the law protects them because they're kids. I don't think that's fair, I think that when a child kills a person he's not an innocent mind anymore and should be judged as an adult. Do you think children should be tried as adults?

asked by Wendy in Parenting & Children | 4693 views | 07-31-2009 at 02:34 AM

Kids today are more sophisticated at a younger age; they understand the implications of violence and how to use violent weapons. It is absurd to argue that a modern child, who sees the effect of violence around him in the news every day, doesn't understand what killing really is. The fact that child killers know how to load and shoot a gun is an indicator that they understand exactly what they're doing.

answered by Joline | 07-31-2009 at 02:35 AM

Juvenile court is a fairly recent development. An offender who lived in the eighteenth century and was seven or older would, in all likelihood, have been treated as an adult by the courts. At that time, the law considered children under the age of seven as lacking full moral capacity and incapable of giving consent.

Every state allows children under 16 to be tried as adults, but new research indicates that many cannot understand their situations well enough to aid their defense.

I say it depends on the age of the juvenile and the crime committed.

answered by Carla | 07-31-2009 at 02:37 AM

comment