Diet Soda: Pancreatic Cancer?

Does diet soda give you pancreatic cancer ?
Yesterday I went to see my personal trainer and he said diet soda like diet coke is bad because of all the artificial nutrients. He also said it can intoxicate you and provoke a disease like pancreatic cancer.
After having dinner i like to drink diet soda because I always thought it is good for reducing weight.

Too much sugar can cause obesity, but pancreatic cancer? Is it so bad?
Once in a while I like a diet coke, a diet sprite or some lemon lime soda and sprite and 7 up.
Is it does give you cancer then I'll stop drinking them.

asked by Melissa in Diseases & Conditions | 11378 views | 02-09-2010 at 05:13 PM

All soda is a ticket to weight problems.
People who consume two or more sugary drinks of diet soda a week have a much higher risk of pancreatic cancer, according to researchers.
There is a study, which was funded by the National Cancer Institute and published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, that tracked 60,524 men and women in the Singapore Chinese Health Study over the course of 14 years and found that those who consumed diet soda increased their risk of contracting pancreatic cancer by 87 percent.

Mothers have warned for decades that drinking too much soda might cause cavities, but now the problem is more serious.
My doctor says diet coke is specially dangerous and can give you even more problems than pancreatic cancer. He says it is absolutely bad for your health to drink diet coke on a daily basis.
People who drink two or more sodas each week can increase their risk of pancreatic cancer almost two-fold.

answered by Marley | 02-09-2010 at 05:17 PM

The study that you are referring to, Marley, did not cite diet soda but regular soda. The study did not look at consumption of diet soda; soft drinks were defined as "sugar-sweetened carbonated beverages."

answered by Guest | 03-30-2010 at 01:46 PM

What are the odds?
And to say that it increases your risk of getting pancreatic cancer by 85% is misleading. There are 310 million people in this country. There are only about 37,000 new cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed a year. So your chances of getting pancreatic cancer in the first place would be .001%. Increasing that by 85% would bring your chances up to about .002%.

answered by Guest2 | 09-23-2010 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The study that you are referring to, Marley, did not cite diet soda but regular soda. The study did not look at consumption of diet soda; soft drinks were defined as "sugar-sweetened carbonated beverages."
Exactly. The study sited sugar laden sodas, because too much sugar can cause abnormal division of cells. I also read that consuming too much sugar can raise cholesterol levels. I'd be curious to see if carbonation could be a culprit to some cancers. I know it affects how calcium is absorbed in the body.

Well, eventually we are all going to succumb to some disease. While doctor Oz offers some wonderful advice for staying healthy, sometimes I think he borders on neurotic, or obsessive. If I bought everything he said we should be taking to spare us from disease, or to keep us looking young or living longer, I would need a warehouse to store it all in. I say let's try and take good care of ourselves within reason, but enjoy life.

answered by Guest | 09-20-2011 at 11:11 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.