First Day Of Winter: Southern Hemisphere?

Winter is the coldest season of the year, between autumn and spring. It has the shortest days and longest nights. I personally hate winter and prefer the summer.
My question is, when is the first day of winter in the Southern Hemisphere?
Right now I live in the south so I would like to know. Is it a different to the northern hemisphere?

asked by Toto in Science | 4946 views | 12-01-2009 at 03:46 PM

The date of the winter solstice is the date with the shortest day and the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere, the winter solstice usually falls on December 21/December 22. Since the winter solstice, summer solstice, vernal equinox, and autumnal equinox were discovered by our ancestors in the northern hemisphere their naming conventions correspond to the northern hemisphere seasons. Thus the winter solstice is defined for the northern hemisphere. In the southern hemisphere the "winter solstice" is the longest day and shortest night ,and is in fact the start of their summer. At the summer solstice, the northern hemisphere is inclined towards the sun, and it appears to be at its farthest above the celestial equator.

answered by Portua | 12-01-2009 at 03:47 PM

In the United States and the rest of the northern hemisphere, the first day of the winter season is the day of the year when the Sun is farthest south (on December 21st or 22nd). This day is known as the Winter Solstice.

The declination of the Sun on the winter solstice is known as the tropic of capricorn (-23 27'). In the Southern hemisphere, winter and summer solstices are exchanged so that the winter solstice is the day on which the Sun is farthest north.

answered by Penelope | 12-01-2009 at 03:48 PM

comment