Ash Wednesday Prayer & Fasting Rules?

Ash Wednesday signals the beginning of that season of the church year that is most commonly associated with penance.
Ash Wednesday is basically the beginning of Lent.

I'm catholic and I haven't practiced in a while and forgot the rules of Lent season. What are the fasting rules for Ash Wednesday?

What is the most characteristic prayer of Ash Wednesday?

asked by Ryan in Religion | 5230 views | 03-09-2011 at 05:20 PM

Under the rules in the catholic church, Ash Wednesday is a day of strict fasting and abstinence from all meat and foods made with meat.
Fasting is eating two small meals that when put together would not make a standard meal.

The Catholic law of abstinence dictates that Catholics aged 14 and older refrain from meat on Fridays altogether, and on Ash Wednesday.
The greatest prayers for Ash Wednesday are those that come from your heart to the ear of God in heaven.

answered by Marlee | 03-09-2011 at 05:21 PM

Only one meal is allowed but some food is permitted at breakfast and around midday or in the evening, depending on when a person chooses to eat the main or full meal.
I don't follow strict fasting rules though, I don't think they're important to remember God.

answered by Guest | 03-09-2011 at 09:50 PM

Christian
I was brought up as a Catholic. We followed the no meat and the fasting rules, but our hearts were not changed by these physical acts. God wants a relationship with us, not a giving up of chocolate or Facebook for 40 days.

Pray that your heart will be changed so that you can become more like Jesus. That's what He himself preaches. If you need to give up something for 40 days, give up gossip, or lying, or being negative. Reach out to those in need and feed the homeless, pray for the needy and hurting. Be like Jesus for 40 days. I guarantee that will change your heart.

answered by Guest | 03-10-2011 at 02:35 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.