Colleague Letter Of Recommendation?

I am writing a letter of recommendation for a colleague, but have no idea where to start. Where can I get some sort of guide for writing recommendation letters? Maybe if I can see a sample recommendation letter it will be a lot easier for me.

asked by Desire in Books & Writing | 7801 views | 09-16-2009 at 12:37 PM

The reference letter or letter of recommendation should contain the following components:

1. The applicant's full name (early in the document).
2. The length of time the reference has known the applicant and in what capacity - An explanation regarding the reference's qualifications to make such a recommendation.
3. How the applicant is exceptional to others with similar backgrounds or in similar positions. Provide specific examples.
4. The applicant's professional qualifications (years of experience, academic credentials, etc.) and competency in his or her profession, with examples of specific accomplishments and achievements.
5. The applicant's character traits relevant to the positions being targeted (avoid mention of any characteristics that could be the basis of discrimination, such as race, religion, color, nationality, age, appearance, marital status, disabilities, etc.). See EEO article for reference.

Traits worth noting include (these are in addition to specific skill sets): ability to communicate (written and verbal), intelligence, self-reliance, initiative, flexibility, willingness to accept responsibility, energy level, direction, interpersonal skills, ability to effectively handle conflict, teamwork, level of commitment, ability to lead, etc.

Avoid "soft phrases" such as "good, adequate, fair, reasonable, satisfactory," etc. Instead, choose more powerful word choices, such as: "exceptional, significant, astute, articulate, versatile, creative, assertive, imaginative, qualified, dedicated, professional, dynamic, and innovative," but be honest.

6. Contact information for the reference, if he or she is willing to continue future dialogue and/or correspondence regarding the applicant. (Include this reference on your list of references! As the letter of recommendation ages, make certain to maintain current contact information and update your reference list as necessary.)

answered by Penny | 09-16-2009 at 12:39 PM

comment