Hanukkah 2010: Chanukah Dates & Calendar?

I'm looking for information about Hanukkah 2010, since we are around the Jewish holidays.
Only think I know is that Hanukkah can also be spelled Chanukah and is known as the Festival of Lights.
Does Hanukkah have any specific 'start day' in December? How are the nights of Hanukkah determined?
When does Hanukkah starts and end on 2010? Is there a website with a Chanukah calendar I can download to my computer?

asked by Shane in Holidays | 2896 views | 12-01-2010 at 05:10 PM

Hanukkah is observed for eight nights, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may occur at any time from late November to late December in the Gregorian calendar.

Hanukkah in 2010 will start on Thursday, the 2nd of December and will continue for 8 days, where you light 8 candles, until Thursday, the 9th of December.

Hanukkah goes by the Jewish calendar, which is lunar, not solar, so it changes every year in the "normal" calendar.

Because the Hebrew calendar is a lunar one, and the Gregorian calendar is a solar calendar, they don't line up, and as a result, Hanukkah moves around on the Gregorian calendar.

answered by Paul | 12-01-2010 at 05:11 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.