Chile Miners Rescued?

Today rescuers made contact with the miners that are trapped underground in Chile by lowering a probe into the mine, 17 days after the men became trapped.
Rescuers discovered the trapped men when they heard hammering noises. The men were working at the San Jose gold and copper mine near the city of Copiapo in Chile, at a depth of around 2,300 ft when the rock above them collapsed.

Is there a possibility that the Chilean miners will be rescued in the next days? If not, how long is it going to take to get them out of the mine?

asked by Howard in Places of the World | 2847 views | 08-23-2010 at 02:54 PM

It will take at least four months to rescue the 33 miners trapped underground in Chile.
After 17 days, the men have already been trapped underground longer than all but a few miners rescued in recent history. Last year, three miners survived 25 days trapped in a flooded mine in southern China, and two miners in northeastern China were rescued after 23 days in 1983.

Many fear for their sanity in the months it will take to dig them out from where they are trapped.
The accident in the small gold and copper mine has shone a spotlight on mine safety in Chile, the world's No. 1 copper producer, although accidents are rare at major mines.

Chilean authorities told reporters they hope to send microphones into the mine to communicate with the miners directly. They’re also in the process of sending down food, medicine and other supplies. Rescuers had hoped to remove the miners sooner, but authorities said that because of complications — the depth of the mine and its instability — it could take several months before that happens.

answered by Amy | 08-23-2010 at 02:55 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.