Is Direct TV Better Than Cable?

I'm getting Direct TV this week, after dealing with a cable service for the last three years and hating every minute of it.
I want to know more about direct tv.
How is customer service? Is installation a pain? Do you find that you lose service in storms?
Is Direct TV better than cable?

asked by Scrubs in Television | 2569 views | 09-21-2009 at 02:32 AM

Every DirecTV and Dish Network system I've seen has always suffered from two things -

"Banding", where the when there should be a smooth gradient in the picture, you can see definite changes of color instead. Think of it as True Color (Windows)/Millions of Colors (Mac)/32-bit Color (Unix/Linux) versus High Color (Windows)/Thousands of Colors (Mac)/16-bit Color (Unix/Linux) as far as picture quality goes.

"Compression Artifacts" - The higher the amount of compression on a MPEG2 or MPEG4 video stream, the more you'll notice this. The best way to describe what this looks like is compare video that's meant to be streamed over a 100kbit per second connection versus video that's meant to be streamed over a 300kbit per second connection to the internet; while satellite won't look nearly as bad as the 100kbit per second video, the cable TV I have looks that much better than the Dish Network my fiancee's parents have and my neighbor's DirecTV.

answered by Steven | 09-21-2009 at 02:33 AM

for HD, yes, it is better; however, dish network is even better than that, especially since there are dual turner DVR's available, meaning that you can have two sets watching two chanels in two rooms. plus there is almost twice as much HD programing on it than on cable.

answered by Actor | 09-21-2009 at 02:33 AM

Satellite companies like Direct TV (or DirecTV) and Dish Network, provide national satellite service with hundreds of digital stations. The picture is clear and crisp, especially if you spring for a high definition receiver to match your HD ready TV. While most cable signals are below 150 lines of interlaced resolution, standard satellite can approach DVD quality (480i) and HD content will be sent at either 1080i or 720p (progressive). A regular 27" TV has the capability of no more than 500i while a HD television can produce the full range.

answered by Palin | 09-21-2009 at 02:34 AM

Is direct tv better then cable?
yes ,direct tv is better then the cable because it provides lots of features and services to the customers compare to the cable tv.

answered by Steve Austin | 09-22-2009 at 07:43 AM

comment