Bishop Eddie Long Scandal?

Bishop Eddie Long, leader of one of the Southeast’s largest churches, was accused by two DeKalb County men who alleged he coerced them into having intercourse with him in exchange for lavish trips, cars and cash. That unraveled a scandal.

The men state in their lawsuits that Bishop Eddie Long, pastor of the anti-gay mega-church New Birth Missionary Baptist Church located in Lithonia, used his authority as pastor and bishop to force them into s ex.
Has Bishop Eddie Long said anything about the scandal and the accusations?

asked by Stuart in Religion | 7058 views | 09-22-2010 at 03:47 PM

The church is denying the allegations. A spokesperson for Long said the two men, who are now 20 and 21, were trying to "shakedown" Long and had "some serious credibility issues."

The young men contend that Bishop Eddie Long “bribed” them with gifts, money, and overnight trips, in exchange for oral acts.
According to the official court documents, these men were showered with gifts and placed on the payroll. In one document, one of the men also advised that if any of the “Spiritual Sons” (as they were called) ever sought out relationships with women, Long would do whatever was necessary to intervene and would oftentimes step up his own advances.

Long is considered one of the nation's top black preachers. His church has more 25,000 members, according to the suit, and was the site of Coretta Scott King's 2006 funeral, attended by then-President George W. Bush and three previous presidents. King was the widow of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

answered by Jason | 09-22-2010 at 03:48 PM

Why did the young men wait so long to report this horrid situation? I am not saying that Long is innocent, I just wish that the boys had not continued to let him have his way with them. They traded their dignity for the fringe benefits. Long was crafty enough to wait until after they were 16 ... such a terrible thing. There seems to be a multitude of truth against Long, I feel bad for his family.

answered by blessednostress | 09-22-2010 at 09:57 PM

It looks like Bishop Eddie Long's scandal is getting worse for him.
Now there is a third man who is accusing him of the same thing. In a few months this case will be settled. Three lawsuits have been filed against Long. I was surprised when I read he showered the men. If it is true, he's a sick person.

answered by Record | 09-23-2010 at 04:19 AM

child of God
Please true Christians out there.. i beseech you to stand behind this man of God and undergird him during this attack... it is not for you nor i to judge the allegations.. but hold up this mans arms in the midst of the battle.. We all know the devil is a liar and will like nothing more than to bring down a servant of the Most High God...don't fall prey to the enemies tactics. Come on Saints, lets unite in battle and put him where he belongs.. under our feet!

answered by pagaspm@yahoo.com | 09-23-2010 at 04:43 PM

He is a sick man, who will burn in hell!
This scandal just shows all the Christians who believe the pastors are saints, that that's not the case. I love god and accept him as my savior, but i know better than trusting in a man, who calls himself, god's servant. He reads out of a bible, and anyone can do that. You have to live right and do right. Anything you do in the dark, comes in the light and it's disgusting if he had sexual acts with those men. Why would he send pictures with tight shirts on. He looks gay in the pictures. Not only that, the pictures don't look like that of a pastor. He needs to pray for his sins and needs counseling. He is a filthy man, messing with young boys. Just filthy!

answered by Guest | 09-23-2010 at 11:58 PM

GUILTY
Guilty or Innocent? The photos that show Bishop Long and the 2 men engaging in gay acts is pretty incriminating, anyone who says he's innocent has not seen the photos!

answered by JANE87 | 09-24-2010 at 01:21 AM

Photos can be created .. all we can do is pray the truth come to the light and all those that have been affected be restored... justice will be done in Jesus name... man is not infallible .. God is the only perfection i know..lets not be too hasty in our judgments ... Pray and intercede for the church ..for Mrs. Long.. the families of these boys involved as well as Bishop Long... let us have compassion.. and stop being so pharisaical..

answered by pagaspm@yahoo.com | 09-24-2010 at 02:02 PM

a pastor's wife
i totally agree with the person who said to pray for bishop long's wife ,family and the accusers.if this is true God help them all.if it is not true, pray for bishop long to forgive and remain faithful to God and his ministry and continue to do God's work.stop judging and start praying because God is in control.

answered by Guest | 09-25-2010 at 06:08 PM

What are you saying? To be a true Christian you have to drink the Kool Aid no questions asked? Stop blaming everything on the devil. God gave us all free will and the ability to say no. Are you an idiot, blind or just a thirsty Kool Aid drinker?

answered by Guest | 09-26-2010 at 03:58 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.