Iceland Volcano Name: Eyjafjallajokull Pronunciation?

The Iceland volcano Eyjafjallajokull is continuously erupting volcanic ashes which formed ash cloud over Europe. This ash cloud in turn paralyzed most of the scheduled airline flights leading to flight cancellation not only in Iceland but also in other parts of Europe since volcanic ash is a major hazard to aircrafts’ engines.

We were discussion the Eyjafjallajokull volcano name with my family and I was wondering what is the right pronunciation of the word Eyjafjallajokull.

I hear the media say the name, and each one say differently. So, what's the correct pronunciation of Iceland's volcano Eyjafjallajokull?

asked by Frank in Geography | 9466 views | 04-17-2010 at 04:36 PM

It's funny how the reporters at fox and CNN attempt to pronounce the name of the glacier -- Eyjafjallajokull -- under which the volcano lies and from which it gets its name, and do it all wrong.

The Associated Press offers this pronouncer: "ay-yah-FYAH'-plah-yer-kuh-duhl." But that seems to have a couple too many syllables.

This youtube clip leads with the correct pronunciation of the word Eyjafjallajokull and then offers a cavalcade of broadcast news presenters, whose attempts are, well, somewhat more confident than those of the Times Square passers-by.

All the news channel need to have an interpreter that explains how to say the Iceland volcano's name Eyjafjallajokull correctly.

answered by Volcano guy | 04-17-2010 at 04:43 PM

After listening to the correct pronunciation of the word Eyjafjallajokull, I still don't know how to say it.
It is just too difficult to learn for an English speaking person.
I understand all those guys on TV who can't say the word correctly.

answered by Kaitlyn | 04-19-2010 at 03:01 PM

I'm Icelandic and I think this is a pretty accurate description of how to pronounce it for an English reading/speaking person

Ey-ja fja-lla jö-kull = "islands mountain" glacier

Ay-yah-fya-tla-yer-kutl. You have to pronounce the “yer” with a British accent, so there’s no actual “r” sound in it. And the “u” is like the one in “put”, not like in “cut”. If you can manage it, say the l’s without voicing – kind of blend them with the t’s.

answered by Lilja | 04-21-2010 at 11:24 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.