Why Did AJ Cook 'JJ' Leave Criminal Minds?

A.J. Cook, or JJ in Criminal Minds was fired from the show and replaced by a new female cast member. Or maybe she wasn't fired and she quit, either way, JJ is not on the show anymore.
But why did JJ leave Criminal Minds? I really liked AJ Cook's character, it was one of my favorites.

Does anyone know the reason? Did AJ Cook publicly say why she left? Was it for personal reasons or was she having problems with the network?

asked by Dina in Television | 47324 views | 09-30-2010 at 01:22 PM

It has surprised me also. But it seems to be with the powers that be somewhere in control of the series.
I heard JJ quit the show for "creative reasons" and not financial considerations by the network as some rumors said at first.
In not picking up AJ Cook's contract option for the sixth season, producers of the show have essentially fired Cook. Cook had been on Criminal Minds since the first episode in 2005, joining the cast after the pilot.

"It is like losing a member of the family very suddenly and without any warning. That's always difficult," castmate Thomas Gibson said to TV Guide. "Everybody is still mystified and always be as to the reasons for this. I don't understand it, and I'll never pretend to understand why they had to do it. But it's a huge loss and it there's now a void there."

Deadline Hollywood reported that executive producer Ed Bernero is considering having AJ Cook guest-star in an episode in the fall to put a cap on her character JJ's story.

answered by Dog | 09-30-2010 at 01:23 PM

I was pretty bummed to learn that JJ would be leaving.
I will miss JJ but I think she could come back because Hotch told her she would not be replaced and he “hoped to get her back.” A.J. Cook certainly didn't seem to want to leave, based on her public statements.

answered by Bond | 10-01-2010 at 04:08 AM

AJ cook leaving
I have heard that an actor has to be a regular part of a series before they can receive royalties. Mandy P. who played Gideon, left one season early and so will not receive any royalties. However, I cant remember if it is 5 or 7 seasons.

answered by Guest | 11-07-2010 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I have heard that an actor has to be a regular part of a series before they can receive royalties. Mandy P. who played Gideon, left one season early and so will not receive any royalties. However, I cant remember if it is 5 or 7 seasons.
What does this have to do with anything?

answered by Guest | 05-09-2011 at 11:43 PM

Just letting you know, she's coming back. Matter of fact, she is back.

answered by Guest | 06-14-2011 at 12:16 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.