A World Made Of Snow

Harbin's Amazing Ice and Snow World

The city of Harbin in north-east China makes the most of its freezing winters by hosting an impressive ice festival. Blocks of ice are carved into sculptures and buildings and lit from within to provide glittering lights of ice.
The Harbin International Ice Snow Festival has been celebrated annually since 1985, which officially starts January 5 and lasts one month. As the largest and most extraordinary of its kind in the world, the event have yearly attracted numerous snow enthusiasts from around the planet to visit Harbin.
In the past, structures have included tall towers, Buddha statues and even restaurants made of ice. There's little chance of the constructions melting, as Harbin's location near the Russian border provides icy temperatures for most of the year.

"Romantic Feelings," is the name of the world's tallest snow sculpture measuring approximately 115 feet high and 656 feet long. It has been placed at the expo's main square known as the "Romantic and Marvelous Area".

Snow sculpture of the "Thinker".

A worker carves a giant snow sculpture during the 20th International Snow Sculpture Art Expo in Harbin.

A tour bus passes a snow sculpture of former French leader Napoleon.

1 2 3

asked by mummy in Cycling | 8825 views | 01-23-2008 at 05:19 PM

the pictures are so so good
I've got to visit that place, I'm sure someday I'll be there.

answered by cohen | 01-24-2008 at 06:38 PM

comment