Is College Worth It Or a Lousy Investment?

All my life my family told me that I have to go to college, but now I don't know if is worth it or if is just a lousy investment. I know that great famous people never went to college like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, and they are incredibly rich. My family wants me to go to college, but I'm thinking that is not worth it, that maybe I should get a job or find first what I really like and follow that dream instead of making a lousy investment.
I don't want my family to feel bad about me, I've always been a good student, but sometimes I really don't know what to do. Do you think that college is worth it or a lousy investment?

asked by Orlando in Internet | 1378 views | 01-10-2013 at 03:54 PM

I didn't know how many famous people didn't go to college until I found a list with all of them and I was really surprised, but I think it's worth it and not just a lousy investment.
I know that in school and in life they try to teach you that if you have a career you will earn a lot of money and you will work for sure when you end your studies. Although this is not true, I still think that college worth it because it gives you an advantage and it can help you to do what you want having a stable and durable job. The problem is when you go to college and after you have your diploma you stop thinking about what you want to do, and you don't have more aspirations than that. People that didn't went to college, wanted to succeed, and they made it with a lot of work and trying really hard. They had a lot of problems but also a lot of opportunities, just like you. If you stay just with the diploma, is when I think it is a lousy investment, because college is more than just a paper. This is a time in your life where you can learn a lot, meet new great people, and study what you want. I think is worth it, if you are ready to continue working, but if you think that when you finish there is the end and you don't keep searching for your real passion, that is when I think it is a lousy investment.
Steve Jobs always used to say: "Stay hungry. Stay foolish". In my opinion, you never have to stop searching and learning, and more if you have this great opportunity.

answered by Lance | 01-10-2013 at 04:02 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.