Are Christmas Trees Poisonous To Cats And Dogs?

I have a dog and a cat and they are all the time inside my house and I would like to know if Christmas trees are poisonous for them. I love to decorate my home and I have a lot of things but some people told me that Christmas trees are poisonous for cats and dogs so now I'm worried. I don't know what to do because I really like them but also I love my pets so I don't want them to be sick. I didn't buy any Christmas tree yet, because maybe I can put a fake one and nothing will happen but I don't know. Does anyone knows if they are poisonous to cats and dogs?

asked by Morgan19 in Holidays | 905 views | 12-17-2012 at 02:38 PM

Real Christmas trees are considered to be poisonous to cats and dogs, because they can irritate the mouth and stomach causing excessive vomiting. Also, the tree needles are not easily digested so it can cause irritation, vomiting or gastrointestinal obstruction.
Artificial Christmas trees are also dangerous when eaten. The toxin release from the artificial material can be poisonous to cats and dogs depending on how much they consumed. If they don't eat a lot, they won't have problems but otherwise they may get sick.
If you don't want to have problems with your cats and dogs you should put them away from your Christmas tree when you are not home, because this is the only way of having a nice decoration in your house even when this nice tree is a little poisonous.

answered by Cole | 12-17-2012 at 02:39 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.