Hurricane Felicia - Hawaii?

There is a new Hurricane called Felicia coming to my place Hawaii and we're all a little worried. In the news they're saying we should not worry but that is not enough for me. How dangerous this hurricane really is?

asked by Regular in Weather | 3157 views | 08-05-2009 at 07:45 PM

While Felicia is an impressive hurricane now, its days of glory will be short-lived. Felicia is currently passing over a region of warm sea surface temperatures (SSTs) of 28.5C, a full 2.5C above the 26C threshold needed to sustain a hurricane. These warm waters also extend to great depth.
I say don't worry, it seems like a small hurricane. Just follow the safety measures and you'll be ok.

answered by Guest | 08-05-2009 at 07:46 PM

You should be fine, so far it doesn't look so bad but be prepared.

Although hurricane Felicia's path and intensity remain uncertain, the storm emphasizes the need for residents to be prepared and to monitor forecasts.

Felicia strengthened to a Category 2 hurricane, with sustained winds of 100 mph and higher gusts. It was moving west-northwest at 12 mph and was expected to cross into the Central Pacific late Friday or early Saturday.

Felicia and Enrique are the fifth and six named storms in the eastern Pacific this season.

answered by Ft4 | 08-05-2009 at 07:48 PM

No worries! We've got Pele! Of course, it depends on, which island you are living on... Remember last time, when hurricane Flossy came right at us? It was supposed to hit the Big Island head on. The night before, we had a 4.7 earth quake (Pele was surely not happy about some storm trying to get her island!). Next day, the storm came right up to the south end of the island, stayed there for 6 hours, then turned west and left... Seriously, hurricanes are very rare on Hawaii. The last one that hit hard was in 1992 (I might be a year or two wrong on that), and that hit Kauai. No records in history of any hurricane landfall on the Big Island. Why? Well, everybody has an opinion, but it might be something about the two huge mountains (Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa), and the cooler waters around here, that weakens the storms (storms need to be above warm waters to stay strong. So don't worry, but be prepared. It might get choppy Monday, might not be the best time to go for a boat ride!

answered by Guest | 08-06-2009 at 05:42 AM

comment