How To Cook a Turkey in The Oven?

How do you cook a turkey in the oven? What to use? What are the steps? This is actually a turkey breast about the size of a head. How do I oven cook it?
I have never cooked a turkey before, usually my mom and dad cook it or another family member.
This Thanksgiving is my turn to cook a turkey and I'm a bit lost.

How long would it take to cook the Thanksgiving turkey in the oven?
Do i put my turkey in the oven with aluminum foil or not?

asked by Ashley in Holidays | 3848 views | 11-23-2010 at 01:41 AM

I wrap my turkey in aluminum foil and usually cook it 20 minutes per pound. It's easier if you buy one of those turkeys with a pop-up timer in them...then you know for sure.

Covering the turkey with foil keeps it from drying out. If you don't use foil, the skin on the top is going to be very crisp and dry. I'd suggest covering it at least the first hour, but I usually cover mine until the top is a pleasing color.

About the time, the average rule of thumb is 15 - 20 minutes per pound at 325 - 350 depending on your oven. If you're going to stuff your bird, that can add an additional 20-45 minutes per pound.

Whenever I am faced with something I haven't cooked before (or in a long time) I go to Allrecipes.com. There are lots and lots of recipes, and I just sort through until I find one I like.

This video explains in detail how to cook a turkey in your oven.

answered by Layla | 11-23-2010 at 01:42 AM

The National Turkey Federation recommends roasting a turkey in a 325 degree F oven until a meat thermometer indicates the internal temperature registers 180 degrees F in the thigh and 165-170 degrees F in the breast.

After the turkey is out of the oven, let it rest on a cutting board for 30 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.

This is what I do every year on Thanksgiving and the result is delicious.

answered by Debby | 11-24-2010 at 06:36 PM

HELP
I have two turkeys that have to be cooked at the same time. They are both 13 lb turkeys. How long do I cook them for????

answered by Guest | 11-24-2010 at 11:03 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.