Pampers Diaper Recall: Rash & Chemical Burns?

Is there a Pampers Diaper recall? I read The United States Consumer Products Safety Commission is looking in to claims of chemical burns and diaper rash caused by the use of certain types of Pampers diapers. Some concerned parents are wondering if there might be a Pampers recall in the future.

The diapers in question are high-end diapers made by Pampers which use the “Dry Max” technology. These include the popular Cruisers and Swaddlers products. This is a relatively new technology that makes the diaper actually slimmer and keeps the baby drier.

I buy this type of diapers. How do I know if the diapers I bought are part of the Pampers Diaper Recall?

asked by Jayda in Parenting & Children | 13211 views | 05-07-2010 at 12:55 AM

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has been receiving complaints that Pampers new Swaddlers and Cruisers diapers have been causing severe rashes that are similar to chemical burns. Procter & Gamble recently switched the paper pulp filler of the diapers to a new filler called “Dry Max.”

The diapers removed the mesh liners in the old Pampers Cruisers and Swaddlers, along with much of the cottony fluff pulp, and replaced them with a new, more-absorbent chemical gel, producing a diaper that's 20% thinner but twice as absorbent as rival Huggies Little Movers, according to P&G ads from Publicis Groupe's Saatchi & Saatchi, New York.

But since the official launch of the Dry Max campaign in March, complaints have only intensified on Facebook, online retailer review boards and other forums. The complaints increasingly focus not just on leaks or the feel of the new diapers but on diaper rashes, which some parents say are particularly severe and more like "chemical burns."

In an interview with ABC, Pampers spokesperson Bryan McCleary said, "As hundreds of thousands of moms and babies are switching to the new Dry Max, it’s clear that they’re coincidentally developing diaper rashes and severe diaper rashes at the same time.”

The company said it has received fewer than two complaints about diaper rash for every one million diapers sold, which it said is average for its business.

U.S. parents' groups blame the thinner diapers for skin problems.

The new diapers officially came out in March, though Pampers had been slipping them into some packs since 2009. A company spokesperson says the level of complaints the company is getting is very much in line with what they anticipated.

answered by Nila | 05-07-2010 at 01:15 AM

Right now, there is no diaper recall, because Proctor and Gamble has not yet issued one. Parents who are concerned about the safety of the product are urged to call the US Consumer Product Safety Commission hotline: 800-638-2772.

Despite recent suggestions to the contrary on numerous websites, there IS NOT a 2010 diaper recall for Pampers Dry Max Diapers.

answered by Miley | 05-07-2010 at 03:04 PM

More than a coincidence
Just put our daughter in the Pampers "cruisers" only 5 days ago and what do you know............severe diaper rash! How coincidental?

answered by Guest | 05-10-2010 at 01:11 PM

My 1 year old broke out in a severe rash that covered his entire body. It's gone now, but now that i've hear of the "pampers rash"... we just switched his diapers to those. Coincidence?

answered by Guest | 05-14-2010 at 11:25 PM

Mother of a boy with a rash
My son has never had a rash. I used Pampers with the dry max and he got a rash. Not just a rash but a horrible horrible red, raised, miserable looking rash. I tried treating it with over the counter stuff. Desitin did not work. It went on for almost 2 weeks, getting worse.

Finally I realized I wasn't going to win. I took him to the doctor. The doctor prescribed a cream, it didn't work. I took him back and they gave me another cream with steroids in it and it cleared it up. But I noticed when the diaper part of the rash went away it started spreading, it was on his back and face.

What do I do now? Is there a site with more information?

answered by Jennifer | 05-17-2010 at 01:41 PM

Rash
My daughter was born Jan 31st 2010 and they used pamper swaddles at the hospital. Nothing seem to happen .. Recently we switched to size 1 pampers baby dry and her butt broke out into a horrible rash. Her butt was so extremely red it spread to her front area and she also had little bumps on her face and such. It looked very painful. So I tried every creme out there and powders. Changed her every hour or half hour. I even switched wipes and starting wiping her bottom with a rag. Nothing seem to be working. So I changed diapers. And two weeks later...Guess what? diaper rash is gone.. Pampers made her bottom so sore so red and bleed... I never seen a more horrible diaper rash ever. To see a newborn baby have a bleeding bottom caused by the diaper I put on her.. made me feel horrible.. And I thought pampers was a good diaper.. I am using parents choice now . A off brand. and her butt looks great. I guess cheaper is better sometimes.

answered by Guest | 05-19-2010 at 01:33 AM

same thing happened to my little one she is 7 weeks old I used the pampers baby dry stage 1 and she broke out into a rash on her bottom and bumps on her face I knew right away it was the diaper stopped using it and now the rash seems to be getting better

answered by Guest | 05-30-2010 at 12:08 PM

Happened to us
We were avid Pamper's users since my 7 year old was born and I used them always with my now 2 year old. Until she began to have a "rash" so bad that it showed the fleshy, meaty part of her bottom - no matter what I did. Corn starch, Desitin, nystatin, aquaphor - nothing worked. She trembled and screamed in pain whenever I even squeezed water on her bottom from a wet rag in attempt to clean her raw, burned bottom. After switching diapers, her burns scabbed over and went away - needless to say I will never again buy another pampers product whether they recall them or not.

answered by Guest | 05-31-2010 at 07:51 PM

grandparent
My granddaughter has this rash/chemical burn also. It looks really bad. Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm went and purchased some different diapers and just hope that will solve my problem. Pampers should do a recall immediately!

answered by BBL | 05-08-2011 at 10:27 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.