Is Charlie Sheen Hispanic?

I read Charlie Sheen's biography and then I read his name.
Charlie Sheen was born Carlos Irwin Estévez on September 3, 1965, in New York City. That name sounds very hispanic to me. Is Charlie Sheen hispanic?

asked by Bailey in Celebrity | 35285 views | 12-28-2009 at 06:26 PM

Charlie Sheen is not hispanic. His artistic name is Charlie Sheen but his real name is Carlos Irwin Estevez, so anyone would think he is hispanic but he was born in New York City.
His father's real name is not Martin Sheen but Ramon Estevez and he is not hispanic either, he was born in Dayton, Ohio.
Charlie Sheen's grandfather however was called Francisco Estévez, and he was a factory worker/machinery inspector from Parderrubias, Galicia, Spain, near the border of northern Portugal.
That's why people confuses and think Charlie Sheen is hispanic.

Charlie Sheen and his siblings, Ramon Jr., Emilio, and Renee, were all encouraged to pursue acting careers. Charlie Sheen made his acting debut at the age of nine, as an extra in the renowned TV film The Execution of Private Slovik (1974), which starred his father. As a teen, he produced and directed a slew of low-budget film shorts with childhood friends and future stars Rob Lowe and Sean Penn.

A somewhat lackadaisical student, Sheen was expelled from Santa Monica High School a few weeks shy of receiving his diploma. He focused instead on his desire to act, seeking out and landing a role in the never-released horror film Grizzly II: The Predator (1984). Later that year, Sheen made his adult cinematic debut in the Soviet invasion thriller Red Dawn.

answered by Anne | 12-28-2009 at 06:34 PM

Hmmmm
Being born in the states doesn't mean you're NOT Hispanic - you do know this right?

answered by Guest | 12-29-2009 at 03:47 AM

he is hispanic, his grandfather was from spain; therefore, he is from hispanic descent!! duhhhh!! just because he was born in ny doesn't mean hes not hispanic!! LOL yes, he is from hispanic descent.

answered by Guest | 12-29-2009 at 04:53 AM

Charlie Sheen's background
You guys are funny. Excellent job educating the public. Give the girl a break, although you 2 are completely correct. He's obviously American, but of Latin heritage. The point is you can't run from your heritage & why would you want to? If you pick & move any where in the world your heritage doesn't change. If you decide to move to another Country, you can elect to become a citizen of that Country, but what's in your blood, DNA, genes, etc. will never change.

answered by Guest | 12-30-2009 at 12:53 AM

He is Latino....I hate when people don't claim their heritage......trying to be white!

answered by Guest | 01-01-2010 at 01:27 AM

RE : I hate when people don't claim their heritage
Hmmm....its up to each person really. If someone wants to live their life as a "Sheen" and not as an "Estevez", if they decide NOT to claim their heritage, well tough sh%$ for "la raza". Some people decide early on NOT to let prejudice get in the way of opportunity, even if it means not claiming their "heritage". Thoughts ?

answered by Guest | 02-07-2010 at 01:41 AM

Hispanic is a umbrella term made up in the 70's in order to categorize people from Latin America, its nothing more than that. and Hispanic certainly has ZERO to do with race. People from Spain [such as Sheen's Grandfather] are white. And there are a lot of White people of full Spanish descent in L.America still. But for the most part, people from Latin America are mixed race. Nearly all Mexicans are Mestizo [Aztec / White-Spanish mixed race], most Puerto Ricans and Cubans are Mulatto [mixed black and white]. Even wonder why J.Lo has that huge booty ? It comes from her being part black somewhere in her ancestry. Pele, Sammy Sosa and many others are Black Latinos, the descendants of African slaves.

So saying that Charlie Sheen is "denying" his ancestry by going with another name instead of a Spanish one is non-sense. He is white. DNA wise, he is also. If his father was a Mexican-American then that would be different, as he would likely look Mestizo [Native-American looking ie-brown with some Caucasian features from the Spanish part].

answered by Guest | 03-15-2010 at 06:27 PM

he is hispanic
Hispanic, yes a govt term from seventies, but it categorizes people from Spanish speaking countries and heritage from Spanish speaking countries, yes this includes Spain and Latin America. Latino on the other hand is often used to describe people with heritage from Latin American countries and can exclude Spain, whether just their roots or living in the country itself. His heritage is from Spain, so yes, so yes, so yes he is Hispanic.

answered by Guest | 05-27-2010 at 07:24 PM

In Europe he is Spanish descent. If you use the term Hispanic we view that as Latin American. Very different! He is white European, just like the Queen of England!

answered by Guest | 06-11-2010 at 08:55 PM

latin heritage??????????
There are some ignorants (specially latin americans) that belive that being latin is a race, please learn a bit. Latin its just a word that refers to persons that speaks a language originated by Latin (the dead language). It's not about a race, its about the language.That's why people that speaks French or Italian (and many more) are latins and many people don't know this. Charlie Sheen is not latin because10 his primary language is English and not spanish (also Cameron Diaz).
Charlie Sheen's race is Caucasian, just like the 80% of spanish citizens, that's why his skin is white. Talking about if he is denying his Spanish heritage I think that he knows that its not easy to success in Hollywood with a spanish name. U know that even now, its very difficult to success with a spanish name then imagine 20 or 25 years ago when he started. I'm not saying that's impossible but it is more difficult. Otherwise, he was born in US, he feels himself American so maybe he just chose a name he would have liked to have. He doesn't feel What his grandpa surely did for his original country. In some way its normal.

answered by Musedoom | 06-20-2010 at 12:36 AM

being from Spain doesn't make you latino/hispanic; it makes you european.

answered by Guest | 07-13-2010 at 02:35 AM

"being from Spain doesn't make you latino/hispanic; it makes you european." ???

Actually, being from Spain makes you Latino/Hispanic and also European. Yes, European because Spain is in Europe. Hispanic because that's what a Hispanic is a "Spanish" person. Latin because well - it takes taking a few History classes and going back to the Roman Empire.

Now, I never understood why people in the Americas are still called Hispanic. Are people in Canada and the US called British? I think Native American Indians would have problem with that. And why are they called Latin? Because they speak Spanish or Portuguese? Turns out not all of them do.

answered by Guest | 08-03-2010 at 04:24 AM

Charlie sheen is from Spain? wow i didn't know that That's sooo cool I'm also Hispanic, my mother is from Spain No we are NOT WHITE! We're Hispanic duhhhh

answered by Guest | 08-04-2010 at 08:58 AM

Charlie Sheen's mother is from Tipperary and Charlie is an Irish citizen. His father is Spanish. He is fully European and not Hispanic in the American meaning of the word.

answered by Alice | 08-08-2010 at 09:37 AM

Woops I was talking about Charlie's father Martin in my previous post.

answered by Alice | 08-08-2010 at 09:43 AM

a) He is HISPANIC because he has a parent from SPAIN.
b) LATINO IS NOT A RACE. IS A CULTURE.
c) Just because he's white doesn't mean he can't be latino because many 100% MEXICANS are white due to spanish heritage.

answered by Guest | 08-23-2010 at 09:45 AM

Spanyard vs Hispanic
You are correct. Hispanic is not a race; it's a culture/heritage. There are white Hispanics as well as black, Japanese and other Hispanics just as there are black, white, Japanese and YES Hispanic Americans.

However HISPANIC is not a term for people from Spain. People from Spain are called Spaniards. Latinos or Hispanics are from central and South America as well as Mexico. Yes Charlie Sheen is white and is of Spaniard descent. Not Hispanic. Get that clear. This is not rocket science here.

answered by Guest | 09-06-2010 at 04:11 PM

His heritage is from Spain so he is Spanish.

answered by Teacher | 09-08-2010 at 06:00 PM

Spanish American
He's a Spanish American, not Hispanic. He's also a Caucasian (white) in race, not in the Hispanic (brown) racial category

answered by Jonas | 09-14-2010 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musedoom View Post
There are some ignorants (specially latin americans) that belive that being latin is a race, please learn a bit. Latin its just a word that refers to persons that speaks a language originated by Latin (the dead language). It's not about a race, its about the language.That's why people that speaks French or Italian (and many more) are latins and many people don't know this. Charlie Sheen is not latin because10 his primary language is English and not spanish (also Cameron Diaz).
Charlie Sheen's race is Caucasian, just like the 80% of spanish citizens, that's why his skin is white. Talking about if he is denying his Spanish heritage I think that he knows that its not easy to success in Hollywood with a spanish name. U know that even now, its very difficult to success with a spanish name then imagine 20 or 25 years ago when he started. I'm not saying that's impossible but it is more difficult. Otherwise, he was born in US, he feels himself American so maybe he just chose a name he would have liked to have. He doesn't feel What his grandpa surely did for his original country. In some way its normal.
First of all, please learn how to write, you are calling Latin Americans ignorant, when you yourself cannot spell, (specially?, it's especially, you ignorant!)

answered by Guest | 10-13-2010 at 03:44 AM

True man
It's interesting to note that even with only a 25% of bloodline attributed to Spanish decent, anyone would get labeled Hispanic, Spanish or Latin, when, in fact, they were not born in or raised in Spain, Latin America, or any other country where the culture and/or language is primarily Hispanic. It’s as if their 75% Anglo bloodline becomes irrelevant to their identity and is merely a neutral, unidentifiable substance with no cultural, ethnic, or genetic values of its own… A genetic ‘tabula rasa’, if you will.. There to be painted with some differentiated, colorful and potent genetic material, most often of non-anglo origin or identity.

This seems to apply heavily in more recent times, as groups and individuals seek some measure of self identity and self pride. There seems to be a failure to observe that a basis for true pride should not rely quite so heavily on WHAT you are, but rather on WHO you are. This, as people have so taken to hyphenate their identity in an effort to define themselves and their ascription to one group or another.

Btw, we should be Americans first... and if you are not, then perhaps you damn well don't belong here!

answered by Guest | 11-24-2010 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
A somewhat lackadaisical student, Sheen was expelled from Santa Monica High School a few weeks shy of receiving his diploma. He focused instead on his desire to act, seeking out and landing a role in the never-released horror film Grizzly II: The Predator (1984). Later that year, Sheen made his adult cinematic debut in the Soviet invasion thriller Red Dawn.
Actually, he is Latino HENCE the last name "Estevez" seeesh even his name is Spanish CARLOS.
and just FYI he is of Spaniard heritage aka Spain.

answered by Vanessa | 11-30-2010 at 04:19 AM

Europe is mixed Too
Many people think that Spain is a white country but is very mixed too in fact many of the Spanish Conquistadores were Jewish by race like Sebastian de Ben-Alcazar and from Arabic origins because they were there 800 years.

That was one of the reasons the rest of Europe mistrust them, but the truth is all Europe is really mixed, it is in fact the extreme cold weather that make them look very white. I have a friend from Mexico with brown skin who where to Germany a couple of years and when he came.back looked really white to me at least like a spanish guy or Italian.

I read once that during Roman Times many people from the middle east went to live in England. The race a little less mixable is the black race but the rest can look very alike each other with the right conditions.

answered by Giovanni | 01-06-2011 at 04:59 AM

He is Hispanic...bottom line.
He's Hispanic people...bottom line. My family has been here generations, most of my ancestry is traced back to Spain. I am Hispanic...which is NOT a race, but I don't think the question was intended to be so technical. The original question was, "Is Charlie Sheen Hispanic?" to which the answer is yes. The ignorant person who said he was wasn't...well, is ignorant. Geez! His birth name alone is further proof.

answered by Guest | 01-17-2011 at 01:34 AM

Then he is Hispanic. If his grandfather (or great grandfather) is from Spain, then he is Hispanic...good lord.

answered by Guest | 01-22-2011 at 11:14 PM

Okay, so Charlie Sheen is of Irish/Spanish descent (bloodline from his mom & dad).
He is of the Caucasian race from Europe. He is a US Citizen by birth and that's the whole story.

answered by Nick | 01-29-2011 at 02:13 AM

All of you people saying that he is not white are stupid, he is white, look at his skin color. Spain people are white (Caucasian means European American) Latino (Latin American) Hispanic (Yes, Spanish speaking countries, exception for Spain because they are Spaniards). I am a mix of British, Scottish, and German, so I'm not Spanish. He is obviously white. And by the way, he's just as much Irish as Spanish, so why don't you say something about his Irish descent, not Spanish.

answered by Guest | 02-01-2011 at 12:39 AM

He's part white Irish as well white Spaniard, Latino since is often used to identify most afrocaribbeans and dark Mexicans underclass living a ghetto life style - the sheen Dynasty is far different than "paco" the gardener.

answered by Gunsmoke | 02-02-2011 at 05:19 AM

Is Charlie Sheen Hispanic?
Regardless of any genetic differences (ie skin color, facial features, etc), SPAIN is NOT Caucasian! No matter how similar the features & characteristics are between Spaniards & England. Although it is appropriate to say that Spain is closer to a European-Caucasian descent when considering its location & similar features among the people, but in NO way does this automatically deem Spain as a Caucasian country. Culture, language, etc ALL play an important role in determining this. Charlie Sheen IS in fact of SPANISH descent, regardless of even his own beliefs & cultural practices or lack thereof.

When you take into consideration how many white-skinned, blue eyed soldiers were incarcerated for their services in the American armed forces many years ago because it was discovered that a relative or even parent was african-american (black, negro, whatever the hell you wanna use), regardless of whether or not that soldier was aware of it.

answered by Guest | 02-03-2011 at 05:51 PM

I think you guys are making a huge thing out of it. I live in Argentina, you could tell the less "latino" country in Latin America (90% having more than 50% of European blood), and it's rather clear here the difference between a native descendant and an European descendant (it's the same whether it comes from Spain or Norway). Europeans are Caucasians. They're white, they've got not much body-hair, their tooth have a similar shape, etc. You could tell that from the southern regions of Europe (south of Spain and Sicily, for instance), there's people with different characteristics, who come to be called "Mediterranean", product of Semitic people (Muslims in Spain and Sicily) who had been in those lands.
But as far as it concerns Charlie Sheen, he's from Galicia, which is Northern Spain.

Galicia came from the same root than Galia (France) and Wales.

Galician people use to play bagpipes just as Celtic people do, most of them in the UK. So IMO it is not correct to state that Spaniards, nor Italians are not Caucasian. They're Caucasian, though culturally they are different mainly because a matter of religion. What you Americans consider someone to be "white" is to be dead white and protestant. Though I'd challenge you to put side by side a Mexican "mestizo", and a galician, or an Italian from Lazio (Rome) and tell me they're not white. They've got a slightly colored skin, product of climate and not because of racial issues, take them to a cold weather where sun makes no effect, and see.

answered by Guest | 02-07-2011 at 02:29 AM

That's crazy. Born in New York City makes you less Hispanic?

HAHAHA

answered by Guest | 02-10-2011 at 03:40 AM

That last posting was just dumb.
By the way, I've known Argentinian people, and they too are not "white" even though yes I know there are some there and that you consider yourselves the "whitest" of central/south Americans.
Though I have also seen Mexicans with blue eyes, blonde hair etc.

Anyway, Charlie DOES look Latino/Hispanic whatever you want to classify it as....He has dark BROWN eyes, thick dark Semitic eyebrows, a big jaw with heavy features, a tan, and a BIG Jew/Roman nose.

The rule applies: is if someone does not look white, then they are not white. This applies to him.
He may have light colored skin, but he still has a tan.

At least he's not "white" as in skin that does not tan, blonde hair, blue eyes, delicate facial features etc-like Nordic or Germanic people- you know, like the type of look most of the girls he ends up going for. gee, wonder why..:P

Oh, and yea its obvious he changed his name because hes trying to be less "ethnic" and more white..or to fit the Hollywood standard better to put it a better way. Im sure he has enough of a hard time trying to fit this in the past.

Hes probably had a lot of scrutiny/hate/racial slurs hurled at him in the past because of him looking ethnic.
I mean honestly before I knew he had changed his name, I thought he was Mexican or Hispanic/Latino etc...

The fact that there are more than quite a few people other than myself that seem to think he looks Mexican, just proves he is not white.
hes really whitewashed though, tries to appear as an "average Joe " American, though his attempts in my eyes, are laughable.

Its like if Osama Bin laden were to slap on a pair of jeans, grab a can of beer, and sit on the coach watching TV making comments about every woman his eyes come in contact to grunting and such, well if Osama did that, he too would seem a lot more American too, just like Charlie did.
Its a disguise because he hates the fact that he made of up "ethnic" DNA.
I mean come on we all are in a way, it just shows up more on him
LOL

answered by Guest | 02-11-2011 at 06:31 PM

This last comment is of a color-blind!
Well, you do not see is white!
And above that nobody is talking about is Martin Mexican, if you know where Spain is silent.
The Romanians are Latino? our language comes from latin too!
This is translated into Romanian I'm sorry for the spelling.

answered by Ruman | 02-25-2011 at 06:29 PM

He is not latino, he is from galicia. That city is like sicily a lot of people are emigrants of all the world you can find galician people all over the world. We in Europe say latino are from Italy, Spain or France. But in the USA latino are from South America and Mexico.

Galicians are not latino and not european, the are galician.

D.Alberto

answered by galicia | 02-28-2011 at 12:00 PM

All of these comments confirm to me the grand stupidity of human beings.

answered by Guest | 03-01-2011 at 03:45 PM

KooL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
I read Charlie Sheen's biography and then I read his name.
Charlie Sheen was born Carlos Irwin Estévez on September 3, 1965, in New York City. That name sounds very hispanic to me. Is Charlie Sheen hispanic?
Here in my hand I'm holding a book of the most achieved Hispanic people... oh why look here Carlos Irwin Estevez, better known as Charlie Sheen is Hispanic lol A book.

answered by Thought your were cool | 03-02-2011 at 03:41 AM

Hispanic or Non
Excuse me to the guests that are probably some white supremacists that know jack crap about my people...I am fed up. Spaniards..true in the sense are European, Mediterranean, Latin and Hispanic. Hispania was the name of the country of Espana ( Spain) given by the Romans. If you want to say we are white then go for it,but we are not white in the American or other countries definitions. For the most part we are a Caucasian people. However we do have other add mixes to us like the Moors that would equate a Sub Saharan/ Arab/ Berber add mix.

Martin Sheen (real name Martin Ramon Estevez) father was from Galicia, the Celtic part of Spain. That being said, it does not mean that everyone in Galicia is of Celtic extraction.

Spaniards are mixed people. Some of you Americans that claim you have some Spanish blood way back..makes you an expert and you don't even know our country.

Yes we are Caucasian and Mediterranean and Latin..get over it! As a composite of people..Spaniards are way more mixed than a Latin American. We have Iberian ( original Spanish tibes) Roman, Greek, Moorish, Phoenician, Arab, German, Visigoth, Carthaginian,Celtic, Berber, some Gypsy( the ones that have mixed)..all mixed. Some areas do not have all the add mixes..however we have the majority from way back.

Getting back to Sheen not sure what his moms ethnicity is, don't care. All I can tell is this guy is a train wreck.

answered by Spaniard | 03-02-2011 at 07:46 AM

Wow, the ignorance, yes hes Hispanic, Latino, whatever! I'm Spanish/Italian and white as a ghost and I always circle Hispanic!

answered by Guest | 03-02-2011 at 10:32 AM

mr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
He is Latino....I hate when people don't claim their heritage......trying to be white!
His got Spain's white heritage, therefore he's white after all - the term Latino is a modern day invention from our narrow minded government aimed to mix race people of the Latin American map.

Only reason why those border jumper bear Spanish surname is because of post 1492 mass Christian conversion during the conquest of the Americas, hence the white origins of Spanish surnames.

answered by Gunsmoke | 03-02-2011 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Regardless of any genetic differences (ie skin color, facial features, etc), SPAIN is NOT Caucasian! No matter how similar the features & characteristics are between Spaniards & England etc etc
When did you to school? Since your ideas clearly contradicts those Antropolical DNA studies providing the fact that Briton and Spaniard have a common trait -- instead of playing your nintendo DS you should go back to school.

answered by Take a Guess ? | 03-02-2011 at 11:30 PM

Charlie Sheen is a American
I'd say Charlie's white. That's my opinion. Now Latino is not a race, it's a heritage. A Latino can be black, Asian, white, etc. It all depends on each individual. You can't generalize an entire country especially if you've never been there. If you really want to know how Spaniards or Italians are, take a trip to Europe and find out for yourself. Don't listen to people who've never left the states. What do they know? Trust me, i've traveled and that's the only way to learn the truth.

A lot of Americans don't understand that Latin America is very diverse, and like the USA, Latin America also received much migration from Europe. This is why you have clearly blonde people like Diego Forlan from Uruguay or junhino paulista from Brazil. In Spain you have people like Fernando Torres (Chelsea striker) who is clearly white. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. I'm sure if Fernando spoke English no one would deny he's white. It's the fact that he speaks Spanish and that's the only difference.

However, that being said of course Latin America does have a large percentage of mestizo, African, and native mixtures etc., according to country. Some countries like Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina have a large percentage of European heritage. Others like Peru and Bolivia have a larger mestizo/native heritage. It's a big melting pot what can I say.

Spain also has it's fair share of diversity, however, the truth is the northern areas of Spain had very little exposure to migration historically. So these areas have more white people even with blue eyes. However, the southern areas due have large emigration from Latin America and Africa. But most Western countries have large emigration from Asia, Latin America and africa. So this is nothing abnormal or different from any other country like UK, France, Italy, Canada, USA, etc.

Hope this helps

And maybe you guys might not agree on Charlie's ethnic background, but I'm sure you all agree on one thing, this guy is f***** crazy!

answered by Pelotudo | 03-03-2011 at 12:04 AM

color
People that say the color of one's skin has to do with what they are, are wrong because there are light skinned black people and even white skinned, blue eyed black people such as Thurgood Marshall's father but he was Full Black. So color doesn't mean a thing. Just because Charlie is white skinned means nothing of where his decent comes from. I believe Charlie Sheen is Half Hispanic and Irish.

answered by Guest | 03-03-2011 at 04:29 AM

Is Charly Sheen Hispanic?
I say, that he is not Hispanic. He is Hispanic American. Because his true name is Sheen is the maiden name of his mother. Of course, his last name is Irwin Estevez sounds somewhat Hispanic. I have never heard this last name in Spanish. It is new to me. Maybe, Estevez is Esteban. Well, Estevez sounds French. Well, anyway. Let's say, it is a Hispanic last name. Okay. He has the Hispanic last name but I want to ask you something.

How about his mother's maiden name? I dare and bet his mother's maiden name is Sheen. There is no beyond doubt. It is nothing new. Well, many people makes mistakes that being white, brown hair, and brown eyes will be Hispanic. No, it is not necessarily. Most of the Europeans are white, brown eyes, brown hair. Well, the French language sounds somewhat Spanish mixing with Latin and Italian. Estevez is not Hispanic. Estevan is Hispanic. Forgive me that? If I made a mistake. I am not sure. If there are some errors, disregard it.

answered by Guest | 03-04-2011 at 02:08 AM

Hispanic is a very American term not recognized in many countries. In my country we refer as Latin anyone descendant from a country where the language is of Latin origin like Spanish, Italian, Romania, Portuguese and French.
In United States it has a more racist tone to it.
Hispanic in the American definition is anyone descendant from a Spanish speaking country and that includes Spain, central and South America (except Brazil, French Guiana, Guiana and Suriname)

answered by Guest | 03-06-2011 at 02:55 AM

Can't believe how ignorant we can be...
Hispanic refers to persons/cultures of Spanish origins. Spanish people are NOT Hispanic. They are "Spanish". Many Latin cultures are Hispanic, some are of french origins and some are of Portuguese origins. Martin Sheen had parents who were Spanish. Charlie had grand parents (2 of 4) who were Spanish. His mothers parents were Irish. Who is categorized by the nationality of their grand parents? Charlie is a typical American, a product of the melting pot. He likely changed his name for his business, (himself) probably because 99% of Americans would not be able to pronounce Carlos Estevez, much less remember it.

answered by Guest | 03-09-2011 at 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
He's part white Irish as well white Spaniard, Latino since is often used to identify most afrocaribbeans and dark Mexicans underclass living a ghetto life style - the sheen Dynasty is far different than "paco" the gardener.
Latino is more then "afrocaribbeans" and "dark mexicans", do you know how many countries are in Latin America? Don't lump every Latin race as one. Stop being ignorant.

answered by Guest | 03-10-2011 at 04:02 AM

WTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
His got Spain's white heritage, therefore he's white after all - the term Latino is a modern day invention from our narrow minded government aimed to mix race people of the Latin American map.

Only reason why those border jumper bear Spanish surname is because of post 1492 mass Christian conversion during the conquest of the Americas, hence the white origins of Spanish surnames.
Do not call Latinos border jumper please you close minded idiot. We're not all border jumpers and were all not brown and ghetto. I have many cousins with grey, green, eyes and most of my extended family and close family have very very light skin, some people have even asked me what race I am because of it. Latinos are as diverse as the rest of the world. If only you would open your mind you would see that.

Thing is, race it self is f****** stupid. Just be proud of who you are and stop labeling your self and others, and grouping everyone who is latino/hispanic as border jumpers.

Have a good close minded day. Im a Bi-WINNER!

answered by Bi-Winner | 03-10-2011 at 05:56 AM

Charlie sheen is not Hispanic he is Jewish. if your mother is Jewish your are Jewish.

answered by Guest | 03-11-2011 at 07:04 AM

I´m from the same spanish region as his grandpa was
Hey everyone... I have to make a clarification in regard of the whole discussion, that is that not all regions of Spain have a Latin culture, just central and Mediterranean Spain.

The northern part has not such Latin culture, but Atlantic culture which is closer to the Celtic world because of the Celtic background and the immigration from Ireland during the potato-famine. There is even a language that could be described as the mixing of the Celtic and the Portuguese languages, so not even Spanish was probably the first language of the grandfather.

(I come from the exact same region where Charlie's grandpa came from and pretty much look like charlie sheen, Caucasian dark-brown hair and an Irish surname...)

Hispanic culture is so rich and has gave a lot to the world, no culture is better than others, and all cultures should be respected. I don't understand why people blame on Charlie having denied his "inheritage"... I understand they didn't know his inheritage is northern Spanish/Atlantic European, not Mediterranean/Latin.

We all should be proud of our own culture and not to judge if we are not sure about what are we talking about...

answered by Stonell | 03-18-2011 at 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
Only reason why those border jumper bear Spanish surname is because of post 1492 mass Christian conversion during the conquest of the Americas, hence the white origins of Spanish surnames.
OH what an honor that my ancestors were raped of their land and bodies so that I could have a Spanish surname. I guess the pillaging was just a parting gift.

You ignorant fool. We've been in this country longer that you. We'll be here when you're gone.

answered by Guest | 03-20-2011 at 08:25 PM

BTW, we never asked to be called "Latinos" of "Hispanics". Most of us never heard this crap until we got here. This is B.S. invented by this country to label and separate "minorities" from whites. The reason he is Hispanic is because the U.S. census considers a Hispanic any person with at least one parent with roots in Spain or Latin America. Yes! we get to check that stupid little box!

Martin Sheen changed his name (he wrote) because he couldn't find acting jobs or even an apartment. His luck changed right after he changed his name.

answered by Matador | 03-21-2011 at 04:38 AM

not really....
No. charlie sheen is like a quarter Spanish if you want to put a percentage on it. His dad...martin sheen from the west wing is half Spanish. I'm pretty sure Charlie Sheen doesn't identify with his Spanish heritage though. He is also half Jewish -- his mom was Jewish.

answered by Guest | 03-21-2011 at 07:17 AM

History lessons
OK lets get something straight here. People from Spain are racially mixed. The people we know as Spaniards are a mix of Germanic(Visigoths), Celtic (invaded NW Spain and is why bagpipes are used as musical instruments there and Galicia a province named after the Irish tongue Gaelic, Arabic/Berber (invaded and settled Spain for 700 years until 1492), and of course Roman (Hispanic means someone of Spanish descent since what we know as Spain today was once known as Hispania under Roman rule hence where Hispanic comes from) and Jewish of course. Most people in Spain have Northern African chromosomes and don't pass for someone from northern Europe.

They're just not as fair skinned and as blonde/colored eyes in general from their northern European counterparts for a reason. It's the Arabic and Jewish in what we know as the Spanish. Same can be said for the Italians especially Southern Italians. Some can be called "brown' skin with European features. Same with southern Spaniards.

Now that we get this yes the "sheens" aka Estevez's are of Spanish descent not Hispanic since that's used for someone from Latin America or latin american descent with Spanish heritage. Latino is just anyone from Latin America or latin american descent regardless of original. It can be a Indian from Mexico or a Japanese descendant born in Peru. they're Latinos but not Hispanic. either way the Estevez's are ethnically mutts. The Sheens could learn spanish and perfectly fit in a Spanish speaking latin american country like Cuba, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico (US territory not a country) or even Mexico.

There's TENS of MILLIONS of WHITE people in latin american countries primarily of Spanish/Portuguese descent along with other European descent mixed in. It's not much different from America. And folks the whitest country in the Western Hemisphere is not America or Canada. These stopped being the whitest a LONG TIME AGO. That title belongs to Argentina. They have been whiter than anybody in the Americas for a long time.

answered by Guest | 03-24-2011 at 02:56 AM

I can't believe how ignorant some of you are.

1) Charlie Sheen is Hispanic.

2) His ancestry is from Galicia which is the Spanish word for Celtic. The Galicians were the Celtic people that populated Ireland. So yes he is also as Caucasian as they come. (Either way Caucasian is a term that describes people as far south as north Africa).

Source: I have dual citizenship in Spain and the United States and have ancestry from Galicia. I am Hispanic and Latino and White.

answered by Guest | 03-26-2011 at 05:46 AM

He's not Hispanic but he's Spanish since his family's from Spain and therefore he's Latin.

answered by Guest | 03-29-2011 at 06:02 AM

I hate when people call themselves "white" WTF is Charlie Sheen blue or what? And yes he is Hispanic since his grandfather was from Spain, the term hispano is for people born in countries where the language is espańol, so his heritage is Hispanic.

answered by Guest | 03-29-2011 at 09:55 PM

Good Lord, have you ever been in Spain? they are not "white" they are as brown as all the latinos in the world.

answered by Guest | 03-29-2011 at 09:59 PM

Perplexed
My father is from La Coruna (Galicia, Spain) and my mother is from Colombia. Because of this mix, I am Hispanic/Latino and Spanish. However, to say that Spaniards are not white, when every other European is, seems ridiculous. My father is as Caucasian as they come (light skin, blue eyes and blond hair), which is the opposite of my mother and myself.

Based on my experience with Galicians, I don't understand why Charlie Sheen would be considered anything other than white, from an ethnic perspective. However, since he does have Spanish roots, he is, depending on which definition you subscribe to, Hispanic or Latino.

I personally always believed that Hispanic described anyone belonging to the historic region of Hispania (including former colonies), and that Latino described people from the geographic region of Latin America. (I know, Latin could described anyone with roots in a Latin-based language, but that's just over-complicating things, isn't it?)

This is just my opinion, but I see that this terminology debate seems to be creating a controversy.

answered by Guest | 03-29-2011 at 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I am a mix of British, Scottish, and German, so I'm not Spanish. He is obviously white. And by the way, he's just as much Irish as Spanish, so why don't you say something about his Irish descent, not Spanish.
Britain includes Scotland, you might mean English and Scottish heritage. As far as I know the word Hispanic is used as a racial/cultural category and means anyone that's of Spanish descent. For "White" people, the word Caucasian is often used.

answered by Guest | 04-03-2011 at 11:45 AM

I don't care what Charlie does short of hurting someone else that is innocent , saying that I've seen Charlie with his "goddesses" an I was almost jealous my job being a naval aviator is prestigious as well.

I love Whatever his name is today we shall use "Sheen" acting, but it's his life an I think Charlie would act out no matter if he had 10,000 in his pocket or a 100 just him. I say for now I hope the studio puts back on 2 and a half men before it becomes 3 men little fat boy is getting bigger, an for those that want to judge others I tend to not back stab people friends etc. I just want my entertainment I enjoy at my disposal not because a Israeli film producer took a hit to the Pride area, don't be afraid to admit your heritage look at KISS's > Paul Stanley , Gene Simmons all have dual names I can't remember Pauls but Gene's real name is Chiam Wietz I think that's proper spelling, anyway I was bored an thought I would add to this dialogue over much ado about nothing......Bombs away,
Tiberious

answered by Tiberious | 04-06-2011 at 07:20 PM

Hispanic is an American Apartheid term to segregate a group of people based in their Surname. it's goal was to limit economic and social progress in America of these groups. The plan backfired when separate groups became politically powerful in America. Hispanic is not used in any country in the world outside of America to identify a person as non white. It makes America appear to us Europeans as archaic, ignorant wanna be racists. White People here in Europe who are considered low class and even criminals are are given first choice of Social and Economic assimilation in America.

In old Germany an Apartheid of race and religion was done frequently. Jews were brought to the death camps as non whites or mixed whites. Imported from Poland, Greece, Balkans and other countries because they were considered not pure white. Spain in 1492 also expelled Jews and Moslems for their Religion firstly, but then identified them as not being of "Sangre Pura" or Spanish Caucasian blood. Many European Countries consider Spain their example of White European Supremacy because it not only expelled Jews and Moslems, but enslaved whole races of Indians and Blacks in the name of White European Supremacy.

answered by Guest | 04-11-2011 at 04:46 PM

What make you Latin
If you or your parents, are or come from any of these countries France, Italy, Spain, Portugal you are Latin, why? because their languages ​​are derived from the Latin but it doesn't mean you are Latin American which is something different.

answered by Guest | 05-10-2011 at 10:00 PM

What is a Hispanic
Obviously everyone has a different definition. Here's mine.

Hispanic: anyone with heritage of a Spanish speaking country.
Latin: anyone with heritage of a country who's language came from Latin.

Spaniards and Mexicans would both be Latin/Hispanic while Italians would just be Latin.

Caucasian in America's official definition makes no sense. How can Middle Eastern, North African and European people all be "white". Middle Eastern, North African, Sicilians etc. May have white mixed in but for the most part are very much not white. You're telling me Osama Bin Laden, Sadam Hussein, shoot the freaking ancient Egyptians were all white people?!? Give me a break. America needs to fix their categories in general.

answered by Guest | 05-25-2011 at 01:43 PM

Hispania
I am using the google translator because I do not know English, forgive any errors of translation. In North America confused "Hispanic" Hispanic America with Europe.

In fact the Spanish word comes from "Hispania", the name of Spain in the ancient world. Hispania was the Roman name for present-day Spain, where contrary to what some Americans think Spanish people are white. Sources Swabians, Visigoths (a branch of the Goths) and others. Even the culture in northern Spain (eg Galicia and Asturias) is of Celtic origin.

It is true that there is Arab or Muslim origin, because during the Arab conquest only 3 or 4% of the population is about Muslim origins (based on scientific data). Over 90% of the population of Spain is white, originally from other parts of Europe since antiquity. Hence the term Hispanic to be attributable to Spain, because this is their old name.

A part of Spain (with the Catholic kings in the lead) discovered America and settled in the villages especially in the southern villages and islands of the Caribbean, why Latinos (which comes from Latin, the language of ancient Europe from which Spanish and Italian, for example) are called so, and Hispanic.

answered by Garganta | 05-31-2011 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
He's a Spanish American, not Hispanic. He's also a Caucasian (white) in race, not in the Hispanic (brown) racial category
I agree with you.

Spaniards are white not Indians. We are not black mixed with white or anything like that.

answered by Guest | 06-26-2011 at 09:32 PM

OMG you guys are extremely dumb and have no idea what you're talking about.
First of all Spaniards are WHITE.

Second: Hispanic is not the same as latino.

Hispanic means you have ancestry from IBERIA! (Iberia is modern day Portugal and Spain.)
Latino, like is used in modern times, is a person who was born in Latin America.

So, Mr. Sheen IS HISPANIC, because he's not Spanish himself, but his father is, and thus he has Iberian ancestry.

answered by Guest | 07-10-2011 at 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
People that say the color of one's skin has to do with what they are, are wrong because there are light skinned black people and even white skinned, blue eyed black people such as Thurgood Marshall's father but he was Full Black. So color doesn't mean a thing. Just because Charlie is white skinned means nothing of where his decent comes from. I believe Charlie Sheen is Half Hispanic and Irish.
That doesn't make since. How could you know he was full black. Back then there were a lot of mulatto slaves as well as pure African slaves on plantations. I'm darker way darker than Thurgood with much more distinctive African traits.

My mother's primarily black but her mother was part native indian and her father was part Spanish and french. My father's is Nigerian. My point is you can't label someone 100% a demographic. Most African Americans are not 100% black maybe 70%, 80%, or in 90's %. I understand what you might have meant. That a person can't merely predict a race based just on complexion. I agree with that, my Nigerian grandmother and grandmother looked similar to Thurgoods appearance.

I always figured they were full blooded but I can't ignore the fact that Europeans were buying slaves from African tribes and eventually colonizing in those countries. It wouldn't surprise me if Europeans had offspring with African woman while staying in Africa. Most people don't realize a lot of African countries were influenced by Westerners.

There are a handful of African countries that are fully a mixture of European and African. Africa still is practically 90% African descent. I'm just reminding you that you can't predict a persons entire being. Before I became 21 I used to think I was full black because I looked like the general black male plus my fathers from Africa.

That's when I started reflecting on my mothers background. I used to always wonder why the hair on my chest and arms were straighter than most African descent people while both my parents are black and my father is Nigeria.

answered by Guest | 07-18-2011 at 07:06 PM

Hey pal I'm going to call you out on that one. First of all Charlie Sheen real name is Carlos Irwin Estevez. He doesn't have a Celtic name but a Latin sounding last name. I read up on Spain and I understand that there are various ethnic groups with diverse ancestry. Arab, moors " which wasn't necessarily Arab but just the term for black man", and roman influences as well as others, but for the most part even if there language differ a lot of words sounded alike and many names would sound similar or share some characteristics. Sheen is his stage name just like his daddy. The funny thing is that all of his siblings chose to go with Estevez except for Charlie and his father.

answered by Guest | 07-18-2011 at 07:21 PM

Yes because a person is still Hispanic if one of his parent is Spanish is in the blood his dad was a Spaniard and went to Cuba and changed his name they all have Hispanic blood so they are Hispanic. A lot of Hispanic people are born in USA.

answered by Guest | 08-10-2011 at 04:33 AM

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race so he is considered Latino His father was a Spaniard who was denied entry to America due to lingering anti-Spanish sentiment from the Spanish-American War. Instead he sailed to Cuba, where he toiled in sugarcane fields for several years, then tried again to emigrate to America -- but said he was Cuban, and was allowed to stay. Settling in Ohio, he met and married an immigrant from Ireland whose family had been involved with the Irish Republican Army. They had twelve children, two of whom died at birth. Born Ramón Estevez, Martin Sheen was the seventh of their ten children who lived. He is a Spanish American.

answered by Guest | 08-10-2011 at 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
He is Latino....I hate when people don't claim their heritage......trying to be white!
You can be latino and white. Hispanic is a cultural heritage not a race. (language).
Cheers

answered by Guest | 08-26-2011 at 04:22 AM

"Less Ethnic and more WHITE"??? Get a pen and write this down! ETHNICITY- An ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties ETHNIC- A Person or Member of an Ethnic Group.
In your opinion is everyone not by your definition of white Ethnic and Whites are not? The people of England, Ireland, Germany, etc...... have no ethnicity? Can you name all the races? Right them down and remember Hispanic, Latino, etc... are not races. If you tried long enough to educate yourself you might sound less ignorant and bigoted. I mean did you really say big JEW nose? Jew isn't a race! Whom do you actually have a problem with? Mexicans, Jews, Hispanics in general? In all honesty reading your post nearly exploded my brain. BTW- I don't think Charlie Sheen gives a crap about what you think of him. However, the fact that we (everyone except you) have to share the world with such a moron would probably be a bigger concern. Stop being a HATER it's just plain sad.

answered by Guest | 08-29-2011 at 08:08 AM

I just saw Charlie Sheen make an appearance on the Wendy Williams Show and I thought to myself he has an interesting "mix" of features. Actually, he has both visible Irish and what I perceived to be Native American features. I now realize that what I perceived to be Native American features is probably linked to his Hispanic/Latin or Spanish heritage (or however you choose to describe it). I agree, he appears to be predominantly white, however, it's quite clear there is something else going on in the mix. I find it interesting how many people defend his "whiteness" as if that is something to be considered "superior" to being a brown Latino. For those who somehow believe that being darker equates to inferiority, I would like to challenge your beliefs, traditions and the origins as to why you feel the way you do because that train of thinking is rooted in ethnocentrism, prejudice and ignorance.

answered by Guest | 09-19-2011 at 05:15 PM

Yes he is lol watch the Charlie Sheen roast and they rip on him for it... he actually took his father's name so he could go into show business.

answered by Guest | 09-21-2011 at 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
He is Latino....I hate when people don't claim their heritage......trying to be white!
Wrong. By virtue of Blood lines, he is Hispanic and Irish.

Example: Spanish- people from Spain or of ethnic Spain-Spanish ancestry. Some people use that term to say they are Hispanic, but its a slang term, not all hispanics/latinos are of Spanish descent even if they speak Spanish.

Hispanic- someone from a Spanish-speaking country, including Spain. A hispanic can be of any race. (White, Mestizo, Black, Pardo, etc...)

Latino- someone from a Central/South American country (as well as some Caribbean countries like Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Cuba). This includes Brazilians (since they are also in South America). Like Hispanic, a Latino can be of any race though many are mixed race.

and "trying to be white" Who are you?

answered by Guest | 10-01-2011 at 04:45 AM

Yes he is...bloodlines...paternal grandparents are from Spain, He also has Irish Blood.

Just because he uses a stage name, doesn't mean he is trying to hide anything. He followed suit with his Dad Charlie Sheen.

answered by Guest | 10-01-2011 at 04:47 AM

By virtue of bloodlines, his heritage is Hispanic and Irish. Just because he was born in NY doesn't mean a thing. I was born in Japan, but I don't have a drop of Japanese blood. I'm actually, Irish/Sioux Indian/and also have a small amount of Spanish blood.

I'm surprised you left out his bloodlines when you copied the info you did post. Where did you go? Wiki?
That site even gives you his heritage.

answered by Guest | 10-01-2011 at 04:51 AM

no
Charlie Sheen is of Spanish descent. Spaniards are Caucasians. They are white, which makes him not Hispanic. They are the Spanish speaking people of south America.

answered by Guest | 10-01-2011 at 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
he is hispanic, his grandfather was from spain; therefore, he is from hispanic descent!! duhhhh!! just because he was born in ny doesn't mean hes not hispanic!! LOL yes, he is from hispanic descent.
Correct! He is also of Irish descent.

answered by Guest | 10-01-2011 at 06:18 AM

Charlie was born in New York city, USA and his dad Martin was born in Dayton, Ohio and not Spain. They are white in skin and born American citizens to begin with. why the fucck Should all you give a damn about the blood line and the original names they have? Get real and worry about where you all are going to be next year when the **** hits the fan and the world economy goes to full hell and mayhem will *** you all.

answered by Guest | 10-26-2011 at 10:55 PM

You are confuse
Spanish people are white, they are European. I think you are confused with Mexicans.

answered by Guest | 11-01-2011 at 11:44 AM

comment
Thread Tools
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.